Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice???

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2007, 09:03 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice???

Just purchased the Mrs a 3 year old A4 Convertable from a Skoda main dealer. Upon getting the car home i have noticed it has 2 very bald (1mm approx) tyres, no spare key, no radio code (Audi charge £40 to find this) and have just been advised the discs are dangerous and need replacing and the roof leaks
Spoke to the dealer and they are not willing to do anything about any of the above issues and are not offering any sort of compensation, surely being a VAG group dealer i should get similar service as i would from Audi? Do i have any case for a legal claim?
Old 12 March 2007, 09:10 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I hate to say it, but all the things mentioned are very basic oversights on your part bar the leaky roof. Its not as if these things are 'hidden' and the state of the consumables are the first thing to look for - indeed the car could have been priced accordingly. You may have some comeback on the roof, unless you test drove it during a thunderstorm!
Old 12 March 2007, 09:11 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

can you not reject the car?
astraboy.
Old 12 March 2007, 11:29 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

If the tyres are illegal, then surely you could claim that the car is not fit for purpose and get the faults rectified or get a refund.

Perhaps the mention of Trading Standards or VOSA might spur on some positive actions.

Shame about the service, the Skoda dealers that I have dealt with have all been excellent - they were all Skoda dealers in the days when they had to be good to sell the cars!
Old 13 March 2007, 09:53 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Hhmmm -

The tyres you should have checked but if they are illegal you do have a claim. Why you did not check them is beyond me...

No spare key - tough. Lots of cars are like this so you have to get one cut. Just one of those things...

No radio code - obviously you did not check that the radio worked. If it does work and you have no code, again, this happens with second hand cars so not a lot you can do about it. Pay to get it sorted...

If the disks are dangerous (and what is the reason for this?) then you also have a claim along with the tyres which I would have thought the dealer would sort out for you.

As for the rook leaking, I'm sure they must have sold the car with some sort of warranty (it's only 3 years old) then you could give it back to the dealer for that to be repaired properly. If there is no warranty and it is sold as seen, I think you have learnt a valuable lesson and really have only yourself to blame....
Old 13 March 2007, 10:14 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Hhmmm -

The tyres you should have checked but if they are illegal you do have a claim. Why you did not check them is beyond me...

No spare key - tough. Lots of cars are like this so you have to get one cut. Just one of those things...

No radio code - obviously you did not check that the radio worked. If it does work and you have no code, again, this happens with second hand cars so not a lot you can do about it. Pay to get it sorted...

If the disks are dangerous (and what is the reason for this?) then you also have a claim along with the tyres which I would have thought the dealer would sort out for you.

As for the rook leaking, I'm sure they must have sold the car with some sort of warranty (it's only 3 years old) then you could give it back to the dealer for that to be repaired properly. If there is no warranty and it is sold as seen, I think you have learnt a valuable lesson and really have only yourself to blame....
Agree very much with above. Remember that dealers have quite a responsibility for cars they sell although they keep quiet about it! I'd even say that it is not fit for purpose if the roof leaks and possibly you might reasonably expect the radio to work (but that might be pushing it). Trouble is you have to fight your corner. Trading standards will advise on your rights and the law but won't take up your case for you. Nevertheless if you write to garage it won't do any harm to include cc: Trading Standards.

You may even be able to reject car if that is what you want but I am not sure about this. Please take a check list next time for things to look for

PS. Also copy any letters to VAG HQ

Last edited by David Lock; 13 March 2007 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Add PS.
Old 13 March 2007, 10:22 AM
CasuMarzu
Scooby Regular

Never buy a car unless it has both sets of keys, people have had cars vanish off their drives by naughty people with the 2nd set of keys.

Last edited by CasuMarzu; 13 March 2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 13 March 2007, 10:22 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

If tyres and brake discs are in a dangerous condition then you can kick up a stink about that..

Did they put an MOT on the car ?

Should come with a warranty if you have bought from a main dealer, so the roof should not be a problem..

As said, keys and radio is tough luck.. Should of maybe taken a better look at the car ? I go over any car that I am looking at buying with a fine tooth comb, and moan about any problems to either get them sorted or a discount..