Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

RTCW online - pants!

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2001, 11:50 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Just been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein online for the first time.

Being used to the more strategic (less so now though admittedly) CS all I can say is RTCW is manic!.

I'm sure the interface is well designed and probably looked like a good idea with they were designing it but CS's menu system is so simple compared to this.

As for the gameplay, like I said..absolutely manic. Half the time you don't know where you are, the other half your dead.

I doubt I'll be playing it again

Mind you if NTL don't pull their finger out their ar$e and fix the my latency I won't be playing that either [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Matt
Old 11 December 2001, 08:19 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

'you dont know where you are'

Isn't that just a case of learning the maps tho?
you could say the same thing about fps when you play it online for the first time (when different maps are used).

Tho i have to say, any fps thats reliant on other so called team mates giving you ammo is going to be a frustrating game.
Make an interesting clan game methinks.
Old 11 December 2001, 08:35 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I felt exactly the same thing :/
my main problems with it are
1) The guns recoil so little Head shots are laughably easy (imagine a silenced mp5) so any n00b can spam you.
2) The netcode is q3's. This basically means they jump about all over the place and hpb's are almost imposible to kill
3) Its waaaaaaaaaaay too dark. I dont feel like I'm actually killing anyone (needs to answer his bloodlust) all I'm aiming as is the slightly less dark blob that seems to be moving more that the dark blobs (ie. the walls) and yes I have fixed the gamma.
4) The flamethower is a FANTASTIC effect however the weapon is pants :/

however I'm getting into the single player a bit more and its now mildly entertaining when I want a break from cs. Is it just me or is the storyline completely unengaging? I found halflife really good (couldn't stop playing it) although v crap ending.
Old 11 December 2001, 08:43 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Its strange you mention about it being dark.
I'm playing it with a geforce 2 ultra and have the brightness about 50% and its fine.

yet saturday night at a friends house, elsa 920 geforce 3 card, brightness on full and still really dark - how bizarre.

Old 11 December 2001, 08:46 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

hmm I always mod the brightness on all my games but q3 always reverts it to manufaturer defaults on launching the Direct X window. I'll look into it (gefore 2 gts) u rich git holt
Old 11 December 2001, 12:55 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

ptholt, Im also running an Elsa Gladiac 920 and its damn (too) dark. Not even extra portions of carrots are helping.
Old 11 December 2001, 01:13 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I use a little progream called Powerstrip when playing games. The gamma is fine for normal windows but is always too dark in games. Powerstrip lets you have preset colour/brightness/gamma levels and all I have to do before starting CS is double click my "CS profile" and it boosts the gamma up

If anyone wants it I can email it. Can't remember the URL of where I got it from though.

Matt
Old 11 December 2001, 01:45 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I just make profiles for gama etc in the Gladiac control systray jobbie (tech name )