Sharing of house through divorce

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2007, 10:04 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing of house through divorce

Just a hypothetical question here!!

If my wife and I split up, how would solicitors/courts view our home (which is our only real asset, other than our cars)?

The house and the mortgage are in joint names, although I pay for the mortgage and all bills solely from my salary and have done since we bought the house 3 years ago. She spends approx 1/3 of that on childcare for our young son.

Just wondering if anyone might have any views or have been in the same situation?
Old 02 March 2007, 10:08 AM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I believe its a 50/50 split. My mate is in the middle of this with his ex girlfriend, although he moved out 2 year back and she is paying the mortgage he is still entitled to a 50/50. He pays her around £200 per month for he two boys although he has them 3 days a week.

She wanted £500 per month and the house typical scorned women
Old 02 March 2007, 10:35 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Its the 'woman' whose left on her own to bring up YOUR children, and the first thing people worry about is financial assets!?! Strange world we live in and for what its worth I'm glad I aint female

.......... although saying that, you could fondle your own breasts, which is a big plus
Old 02 March 2007, 11:04 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Its the 'woman' whose left on her own to bring up YOUR children, and the first thing people worry about is financial assets!?! Strange world we live in and for what its worth I'm glad I aint female

.......... although saying that, you could fondle your own breasts, which is a big plus
Helpful, thanks
Old 02 March 2007, 11:08 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
Helpful, thanks

I know, as if we didnt already know if we were women we could fondle ourselves.
Old 02 March 2007, 11:30 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

does your missus work? If she doesn't you could be well in the cack in the event of a split. The fact that you have a child also tips the balance further into her favour - children are prioritised and will ensure that the house and a fair wedge of everything else end up with the wife (at least until they turn 18).

If she doesn't work then you could end up getting chucked out of the house, obligated to continue paying the mortgage and "advised" to sign over your "half" of the equity in the house in lieu of maintenance payments to your wife.

This is on top of child maintenance payments that you have to make anyway (15% of income for one child). Factor in your pension getting split and possibly an uneven distribution of further assets to make your wife even better off and I would advise you to make it up with her asap ;-)

I may be wrong, but this impression was formed from talking to a few people I know who have been divorced and from reading up on that most trusted of sources (the internet). Basically I aint getting married until they sort this all out and make it in the least bit fair to the bloke (so probably never).
Old 02 March 2007, 11:42 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the sensible response MPR - yes, the wife does work (albeit part-time) so that would be factored in undoubtedly.

It is just hypothetical at this stage though!!
Old 02 March 2007, 11:46 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I like the way it's always the woman's fault and she's being unreasonable! Many women give up their careers or have a break while having children and they're not being lazy by working part-time!

I dunno, fancy asking a bloke to pay some money towards the raising of his kids, whatever next?

OK, so £500 per month PLUS the house is a bit steep....
Old 02 March 2007, 11:55 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
Helpful, thanks
Your welcome *fondles imaginary breasts*
Old 02 March 2007, 11:56 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

A work mate just went through this, wife, 2 kids, both working.

She kept the house, remortgaged and he got 30% of the equity
Old 02 March 2007, 12:47 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I like the way it's always the woman's fault and she's being unreasonable! Many women give up their careers or have a break while having children and they're not being lazy by working part-time!

I dunno, fancy asking a bloke to pay some money towards the raising of his kids, whatever next?

OK, so £500 per month PLUS the house is a bit steep....
It all depends on the circumstances. There a lot of women who don't want to have a high flying career. So they naturally seek out a man who can pay for them to have the things they want without having to earn it themselves (assuming they even could if they wanted to). This is all well and good as both parties should have a vague idea of what's going on.

However, once divorced, should the man really be obligated to keep his ex-wife in the manner she was when she was married? If so - why? she is no longer with him, would she expect to continue drawing a salary from a job she no longer does? of course not... the difference is?

Kids are a different issue and I have no problem for paying for half of what they cost, but seriously subsidising an ex-wife (irrespective of the circumstances of the divorce) seems a little bit off in my opinion.

It's ok coming from the woman's perspective, but there seem to be a lot more divorced men unable to get on with their lives due to severe financial commitments than women (who seem to go off and get married all over again - as you would if you were likely to profit either way)..... just in my little sphere of experience by the way....
Old 02 March 2007, 02:56 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
A work mate just went through this, wife, 2 kids, both working.

She kept the house, remortgaged and he got 30% of the equity

Thats what my mate is getting, she is going to remortgage and give him X amount of pounds or he says she has to sell. He pays £200 a month based on 27k per year and two kids.