Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

some little audio help required pleeease...

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2007, 11:51 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some little audio help required pleeease...

right pretty simple beautiful people. im a dj and want to hook up my decks and mixer to record "live" onto my pc. i have program that will do this caled sound forge, basically like a cd recorder program on pc. but.... i dont know what wires i will need to connect from the back of the mixer onto the front/back of the pc.

if i have a piccy of the mixer and also the pc could anybody tell me what "line in" or whatever it is that i need...

much appreciated, i need to get some demo cds out!!!

pics...

back of the pc... im maybe thinking the blue "in"

back of the mixer. tis a gemini ps540i mixer if needs be. assuming the rec would do it...

please help me anyways im thick when it comes to wiring things up at the moment.

andy
Old 01 March 2007, 12:35 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

cant see the piccies at work, but I imagine you would have a left and right rca type output on the mixer so I imagine you would need a 3.5mm jack to rca connector, and suitable software for your pc. You could use Polderbits to record the input and this allows you to save in a variety of formats and quality settings and then you can burn to cd
Old 01 March 2007, 12:39 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
cant see the piccies at work, but I imagine you would have a left and right rca type output on the mixer so I imagine you would need a 3.5mm jack to rca connector, and suitable software for your pc. You could use Polderbits to record the input and this allows you to save in a variety of formats and quality settings and then you can burn to cd

ah i get you. well ive got this program called sonic foundry, sound forge. so im using that. on the back of the mixer there are two outputs, one master, one record. both have left and right on normal sized jack plugs. thing is on my pc, both left and right need to go into one socket, so somewhere along the line they need to join.

think i may have it fathomed, so im off to a local music shop where i bought my huge monitor speakers from, see what they can do.

andy
Old 01 March 2007, 01:02 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

SoundForge is fine, thats what I use. Mine is connected in the same way from my mixer to my PC. As above, just use a phono to 3.5mm jack plug cable.
Old 01 March 2007, 01:55 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
SoundForge is fine, thats what I use. Mine is connected in the same way from my mixer to my PC. As above, just use a phono to 3.5mm jack plug cable.

i dont suppose you could take a piccy for me could you dunk? would appreciate it. ive just been out to my local music place in scunny, and a guy there is customising a pair of standard audio leads into a single ended 3.5mm jack plug, to put one end in the pc and the other in the record or master left/right plugs on the back of my mixer.

if that makes sence

andy
Old 01 March 2007, 02:58 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I'm not near mine at the moment, but its just like this:

Old 18 May 2008, 10:48 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

im gonna bump this thread as last year my attempts were unsuccessful.

thinking of trying again today with a better quality mixer and a cd deck included in my set up.

so has anyone a pic of their mixer to pc? hopefully my main issue is getting the sound levels right, not too quiet not distorting etc...
Old 18 May 2008, 01:52 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Not familiar with that sort of setup, but many pc's and soundcards have either autodetecting inputs or configurable inputs, so the "IN" could be used for various things. You may need to have a rummage in the settings for the input to ensure it's the right sort, if you see what I mean. Unfortunately, as with most PC stuff, every setup is different!
Old 18 May 2008, 02:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Chocolate - feel free to msn me. I can hopefully sort you out.

dan.pda@dsl.pipex.com

Dan
Old 18 May 2008, 02:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Here's a good site - not using Sound Forge, but the principles are the same

Vinyl to CD Everything Old is New Again

According to the Gemini website, your mixer hasn't got a record output - just a the master (which normally goes to the club amps).
Gemini PS540i DJ Mixer

From what you've said, you've got it set up kinda right (you can use the phone/rca outputs from the mixer to the blue 3.5mm input on the PC - just turn down your master output! )

The issue is probably in your audio device setup in Windows. Look at to see if the Line In fader in Windows

If this isn't up, you won't get any Line-In signal.

Can't remember in SF about the setup - I'm Mac-based You'll have to check in the audio preferences....

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 18 May 2008, 03:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

well i lugged the whole pc upstairs and got it set up.

took some fiddling, but eventually worked it out. the wire from the back of the mixer went into the front of my pc tower (blue plug line in). i recorded a couple brief sound clips to get an idea of how sensitive it was.... **** the line in volume had to on like 1 out of 100, but the sound quality was pretty good. i tried again with 2 tracks on top of each other with no bass turned down and it was only slightly bass heavy. so it was all set up ok. recorded a couple brief mixes, then tried to save the file from sound forge as had done previously... it wants fuggin registration. so lost the sound file as i was upstairs without internet connection. got it down here, plugged everything back in to register for future use (todays session was long gone), and it wont let me.

so bo11ocks to it, im wound up to **** now and may just buy a ba4tard cd recorder when ive got some money.

fuggin sh1te

oh btw im running a behringer djx700 now the gemini is on ebay...
Old 18 May 2008, 06:57 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

yhpm

Dan
Old 18 May 2008, 07:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
yhpm