Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Messiah or Neo4 for PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2001, 08:12 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I am meant to be getting my ps2 mod chipped this week.The question is should i get a Neo4 ,or wait 10 more days and get a Messiah which only requires 16 wires to be soldered and is a no swap dvdr chip?
The neo requires 44 wires to be soldered to the ps2 board and messes with the bios of the ps2.
They are both around the same price.
any ideas?

Duncan
Old 09 December 2001, 09:04 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Not sure Dunc, i've been watchin the mod chip scene with some interest as i want one that will do psx1, psx2 and dvd's.

Still not 100% happy with the offerings, but a friend who actually does the solderings reckons he has some new chip that does all the above.
will try to find out some details.

Old 10 December 2001, 12:25 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Like you say, its messiah or neo4, messiah being having slight better specs.

My NEO4 is being fitted right now, so I'll report back next week.

NEO4:
Pro's - available right now
Pro's - Mod community gave it rave reviews - tried & tested
Cons - Can't boot DVD copies, without swap trick

MESSIAH
Pro's - Can boot everything you throw at it *allegedly*
Cons - Nobody knows when its available
Cons - Sony have started a lawsuit against them, and right now have put a block on any messiah sales.

You pays yer money....

Like I said, I'll report back on here early next week (its been away for a week now getting the chip fitted)

-DV
Old 10 December 2001, 12:54 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think the messiah chip should be available at the end of this week.Channel Technology who make the chip cannot advertise it on their website anymore because of sony.This chip is still available through backdoor methods(they say on other modchip forums).
i think i might just wait it out and see what happens.
My "modchip" installer is certain he will recieve a few messiahs this week.

cheers guys ,i will let you know if i hear any more news.

Duncan
Old 10 December 2001, 01:01 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

I personally,like the idea of the Messiah as it's able to boot ALL games including CDR's and DVDR's but it does NOT have DVD multi region support and the macrovision still remains intact.
The Neo4 will direct boot everything EXCLUDING DVDR's where you need a simple swap trick with an original DVD that has a TOC (Table of Contents) LARGER than the backup DVDR that you are loading.
As people rightly point out there are pros and cons with each!!!

The future:

Channeltech (Messiah designers) will release an add-on (You need to send your original Messiah chip back to them to do it!) which will allow DVD multi region and the disabling of macrovision.

Neo Technologies (Neo designers) will release Neo 4.5 which allows the PCB (Chip) to be clipped to the PS2 board and also provide direct booting of DVDR's

It seems that both companies will achieve the same goal but in slightly different ways.Personally,I'd prefer to be able to direct boot everything as I don't have many DVD films anyway!

Apologies if I've repeated what others have said but thought I'd share my knowledge of the 'scene'

Cheers,

Nick..

P.S: I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered a Messiah chip last week! (Before Sony threatened Channeltech with legal proceedings that is - Not sure when I will receive it though!)