Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

mobile phone points while driving from today

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2007, 07:02 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default mobile phone points while driving from today

as above. today is the day you'll never see a *** driving while on the fone ever again.
Old 27 February 2007, 07:17 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one think it'll make any difference? Might for a few days but then ...... back to usual.
Old 27 February 2007, 07:49 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

If only it applied to smoking whilst driving etc
Old 27 February 2007, 07:58 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
If only it applied to smoking whilst driving etc
And breathing, and using your eyes, and talking oh and moving your limbs I no longer smoke packed in 4 weeks ago after a mere 16 years of smoking , but this anti smoke campaign clearly has little relevance to safety (as far as many who blurt on about it are concerned). If it was about road safety they would be far more vocal about changing a CD while driving or fiddling with Sat Nav, where not only are hands off the wheel but eyes are off the road aswell. But hey ho if it makes you feel you're doing your bit for the NHS then bravo

Seriously, the ones who need reminding about the change of law today dont deserve to be reminded...
Old 27 February 2007, 08:27 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

will make no difference - you get points for speeding as well, a far more obvious and easy to spot offense......so does no one speed anymore?
Old 27 February 2007, 08:36 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

So you're driving along, talking on your mobile, who's gonna catch you and give you 3 points?
Old 27 February 2007, 08:41 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do not have to stop you now - they merely have to 'see' you - next thing is a fine in the post!

Also, they will take reports of people driving whilst on a phone seriously and check against the phone useage ....... if the phone was being used when the 'spotter' saw them they will find out if the driver was at the wheel of a vehicle ........ the funds are now there to do this. (Aimed at the Transit Tossers).

I would make it £1000 + Car Crushed + Mobile Phone Banned for 12 months + 2 years Ban from driving + 6 months hard labour in her Majesties Prison!! And if thats still too lenient I would introduce Capital Punishment.

Just turn the thing OFF - we didn't have them 20 years ago and managed!
Old 27 February 2007, 08:57 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

The reason for the no smoking at the wheel arguement is if it happens to drop off into your lap there will be chaos ensuing.
Old 27 February 2007, 09:15 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Presume the police will also be adjusting their working practices so that the driver can concentrate on driving, with another officer in the car doing any necessary communication?

No, thought not. Now, I appreciate that police drivers are trained to a higher level than your average transit driver, but that doersn't seem to be good enough as there do seem to be frequent news reports of accidents involving police vehicles.
Old 27 February 2007, 09:45 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Agree with the comments on smoking. Eating is not allowed, nor is drinking. As Sidhead points out though, what would you rather drop in your lap, a lit cig or a biscuit Just as you have to pull over to make a phone call, eat a biscuit or have a quick slurp of pop, you should have to pull over to smoke your tab IMHO.

I also agree with increasing the penalties for many minor offences as they are so trivial that the laws just get disregarded with disdain. Mobile use, smoking, eating and drinking whilst driving should be £1000 and 3pts, and misuse of vehicle lighting, tailgating and lane hogging should be £2000 and 7 points.

Oh, and while we're banging on about this stuff, can we make it all applicable to feckin cyclists

My mistake, apparently it is already

Last edited by corradoboy; 27 February 2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 27 February 2007, 11:38 AM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy

I also agree with increasing the penalties for many minor offences as they are so trivial that the laws just get disregarded with disdain. Mobile use, smoking, eating and drinking whilst driving should be £1000 and 3pts, and misuse of vehicle lighting, tailgating and lane hogging should be £2000 and 7 points.
excellent well said, I am for tooting my horn till they put the phone down as well, few folk sounding out that idea.
Old 27 February 2007, 11:41 AM
ADILM
Scooby Regular

as said by another SN member, you get points for speeding but there are still a huge number of people doing it!
Old 27 February 2007, 11:51 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Mr Sympathy
excellent well said, I am for tooting my horn till they put the phone down as well, few folk sounding out that idea.
Dear Lord.......... First we had 'Deathwish' then the 'Equaliser', now its the feckin 'Tootaliser'
Old 27 February 2007, 01:13 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

The definition of 'driving' is in a car with the engine running. How is phone use while stationary dangerous? Any accident due to 'forgetting' to keep your foot on the brake would surely be minor?

So when you pull over to take that call, better make sure you turn off the ignition as well.
Old 27 February 2007, 01:23 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

From the BBC "In 2005, 13 deaths and 400 injuries were blamed on drivers using hand-held mobile phones.

The Department for Transport says 21% of drivers admit breaking the law, introduced in December 2003."

So out of 6m drivers who admit driving using a phone 413 KSI's have occurred. Is the cost to the country greater than the economic benefit of the more convenient communication? I don't think so.
Old 27 February 2007, 01:49 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Also, they will take reports of people driving whilst on a phone seriously and check against the phone useage ....... if the phone was being used when the 'spotter' saw them they will find out if the driver was at the wheel of a vehicle ........
giving a reward to the "spotters" could earn some serious cash
Old 27 February 2007, 01:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
From the BBC "In 2005, 13 deaths and 400 injuries were blamed on drivers using hand-held mobile phones..
But don't tell anyone about the study done by the London Ambulance Authority which concluded that up to 400 people a year die due to ambulances not being able to react quickly enough because of speed bumps