Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

RC cars, probably for the 100th time....

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2007, 07:53 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC cars, probably for the 100th time....

Okay,

I have a Smartech speedy tiger RC car, just spent 4 evenings building the damn thing then tried to run it today. Yep, I know what all you experts are thinking. "he's bought a Nitro car and tried to run it straight away". Correct!!!

So.. I've screwed up here it seems after reading information on the dealers website which sure as hell wasn't included with the package.

Aparently I should have 'run the engine in'.. hmmm, I DID read all the instructions that came with it and there was no mention at all of this.

Anyway... it took a good 10 - 15 minutes to get the thing actually fired up and then it cut out within a few seconds. This occured many times and annoyed me to death for a start. So then I'm onto fiddling with the screws on the carburetor, yeah, it did actually go for around 30 seconds .... then STOP :|

I'll cut a long story short here, it ran for around 60 seconds in total, I did give it some (who wouldn't want to see what it can do?) then the clutch siezed up

Took it home and removed the engine, levered the melted clutch off and cleaned it out. Re assembled it and tried to start it. Funnily enough, it wont run for more then half a second now and I have no idea what to do next.

Have I spannered the engine? do I need a new clutch? Is there anything else I can do to get it running?

This is a present from my old man for my son. He's seriously dissapointed at the moment and I'm outta ideas.

The way I see it at the moment is this. The place I bought it from did NOT give me any clue that it was supposed to be 'run in' and no idea how to do it, therefore the engine is going back to them and I want a brand new one from them.

Am I being unreasonable? and does anyone have any ideas how to get this thing running?

Thanks

Chris
Old 11 February 2007, 08:26 PM
Manic Mav
Scooby Regular

The engine may only be running for a couple of reasons,
They usually have two mixture screws,a bottom end jet and a top jet.
The bottom one will need to be adjusted with a screw and driver, it sounds as though it is too lean at the bottom end if it was too ritch it would not fire atall,turn it anti clockwise a quarter of a turn at a time untill you here it trying to start,open the throttle a little so it runs on the main jet,once you have this running flat out also turn the main needle valve anti clock untill the engine just starts to four stroke,(running ritch)that will be ok for running in and keep it cool.You should not of damaged it yet with it only running for such a short time.

As for the clutch,that wont stop the engine from running,but if it is damaged it will mean that even at tick over the car will not stop moving.
If you dont get anywhere do take it to the shop you got it from,ANY good modeling shop will have a set up service.
Dont give up, RC 'toys' are great fun.
Old 12 February 2007, 11:08 AM
51st state
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

sit the car on something so the wheels are off the floor while you start it, if the clutch is dragging it will stall the motor,
get a new glow plug, make sure the glow starter is fully charged, and try as manicmav says
when you get it running, leave it off the floor for a while , while you tune it, make sure your in cool air for the engine to cool, with the wheels off the floor it should be easier to sort the engine ,

and watch this
YouTube - RC Car Jumps House
Old 13 February 2007, 12:14 AM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys chaps

I finally got it running tonight... well ticking over. It sounded lumpy and did cut out a few times but I got it started again pretty much straight away. I'm gonna do the proper engine run in palava now. It's a bit late to run a full tank though it tonight though. I dont think the neighbours would be too happy

I ran it without the air filter, mainly so I could see how much the throttle was open while I was trying to start it. I do get the feeling it might not run so well with the air filter on since its soaked in some kinda oil

Anyway, will try to get it running again when I get back from work tomorrow night!

That vid is amazing

Chris
Old 13 February 2007, 12:41 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

They are a nightmare to getting going the first few times. I was for throwing mines of a wall it was so hard to start! It was physically hard too - tight! I played around with the mixture a lot until I could get it to start, catch and hold something of an idle. If I recall it was running so rich fuel was pissing out the exhaust! I ran two-three tanks of fuel through her like that before trying a few gentle runs. Everytime I opened the throttle she'd stall and this frustration lasted for ages. Again I fiddled with the mixture over and over until eventually I could get it to move. I then ran a few more tanks at low moving speeds and gradually worked my way up with the car becoming easier to start and use all the time
Old 13 February 2007, 12:42 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LMAO at that monster air
Old 19 February 2007, 07:23 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Chaps,

Seems to be running much better, though I think there are a few more tweaks to be carried out before it's running properly. Unforunately the tweeking has come to an abrupt halt. My son smashed it into a kerb this weekend

New parts in order though and hopefully this weekend we'll get it flying through the air too

The damage

Chris
Old 20 February 2007, 10:41 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Expensive hobby. Order two of everything because you will break it again or look into getting some uprated replacements (e.g. metal instead of plastic)