Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

WTF is going on on the roads....

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2007, 06:59 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry WTF is going on on the roads....

Please can someone explain, 'cos I'm at a loss.
I'm doing 70 inthe outside lane od dual carriageway.
There is a car 500 yards ahead in the inside lane doing 50, indicaing right.
I'm still doing 70 in the outside lane, now 400 yards behind. The car in the inside lane is still doing 50 and still indicating right.
I'm still doing 70 in the outside lane, now 300 yards behind. The car in the inside lane is still doing 50 and still indicating right.
I'm still doing 70 in the outside lane, now 200 yards behind. The car in the inside lane is still doing 50 and still indicating right.
I'm still doing 70 in the outside lane, now 100 yards behind. The car in the inside lane is still doing 50 and still indicating right. I'm waiting to have to hit the brakes.
I'm still doing 70 in the outside lane, now 4 yards behind. The car in the inside lane is still doing 50 and still indicating right. I start to pass and the ignorant ****** starts to pull out. As the other car starts to cross the white line it notices that there are other vehicles in the world and pulls back in - still indicating right.
I pass. The other car sounds its horn, pulls out sharply behind me (right across the front of the guy following me) and sticks it's lights on full beam.

Since when did indicating mean ""GET THE **** OUT OF MY WAY 'COS I'M COMING NO MATTER WHAT"?????????

<RANT OFF>
Old 06 February 2007, 07:10 PM
blueburble
Scooby Regular

Obviousley this not in Birmingham, we get same thing but No indicators, No Horn, No Flashing Lights, it's considered normal driving, "I'm going there here i come" Cheers mate
Old 06 February 2007, 07:14 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the norm for truckers on the A1, indicate, pull out, check mirror for trail of destruction......
Old 06 February 2007, 07:19 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal stuff I think (I live near B'ham...)

Thoughtless driving, no respect for simple rules, couldn't care a toss (you would have run into him, thus your fault) and then aggressive attitude.

The same when people scream down a slip road and expect a gap for them. Right of way is with the main road, not the slip.

State of this nation.

Graham
Old 06 February 2007, 07:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

And they say "Speed kills"

I get chauffeured around all day as a driving instructor (usually by 17-19yo girls ) and thus have time to observe other peoples driving (and the girls)...(driving)...(and ) and am appalled at the standards I see. I say, scrap the current camera obsessed policy in favour of discerning traffic officers able to hand out compulsory training penalties to obviously bad and dangerous drivers, forcing them to take a minimum of 6 hours further training with a DSA approved instructor. That way there's not just a trivial and thus irrelevant financial penalty, but further education achieved. The points system too is inadequate, as most don't care until they have 9 anyway, and as some come off they will revert. Education allied to financial outlay must work better.
Old 06 February 2007, 07:30 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by 911

The same when people scream down a slip road and expect a gap for them. Right of way is with the main road, not the slip.

State of this nation.

Graham

Yes, and when you do make a gap and flash them in, they never wave a thanks
Old 06 February 2007, 07:32 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
And they say "Speed kills"
forcing them to take a minimum of 6 hours further training with a DSA approved instructor.
Whilst ensuring a nice little earner for you

I think a lot of it is symptomatic of society in general, people just don't give a flying **** about others.. and this follows on to their driving, where they just trundle along in their own little bubble oblivious to the world about them, and frankly not giving a toss about the consequences..
Old 06 February 2007, 07:33 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Yes, and when you do make a gap and flash them in, they never wave a thanks

A source of regular annoyance for me to
Old 06 February 2007, 07:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by swampster
Whilst ensuring a nice little earner for you
Old 06 February 2007, 07:38 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

I really wanted to force the other driver to stop, drag him out of the car and give him a ******* good pasting........

What pissed me off even more than being wrong and having a go at me, was that the whole thing cost me a few seconds I could ill afford to loose as it made me late for my anger management therapy session
Old 06 February 2007, 08:39 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> I'm doing 70 inthe outside lane od dual carriageway.
> There is a car 500 yards ahead in the inside lane

So why were you in the outside lane? If you were in the lane 1 then when he pulled out you could have carried on up the inside. Problem solved. I thank you
Old 06 February 2007, 08:44 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
It's the norm for truckers on the A1, indicate, pull out, check mirror for trail of destruction......

Got to agree with you there, arctic, 7.5 ton, rigid's, box van's etc driving standards of late a very poor.

Pull out then look...........

Gonna get some do gooder driver going off on one now, but hey, wagon drivers are on the whole quite a danger, as are some car drivers.

M6 down to the A14 - you get car's, van's & lorries leaving it to the very last minute to pull in to head for the A14 slip, leaving behind them a trail of que-ing traffic in the centre & fast lane....utter madness

Exactley the same happens at Junc 14 on the M1 southbound, drivers just diving into gap's, leaving other drivers behind to try and slow down to avoid them

Worst drivers on the road UPS, in my view
Old 06 February 2007, 08:54 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
> I'm doing 70 inthe outside lane od dual carriageway.
> There is a car 500 yards ahead in the inside lane

So why were you in the outside lane? If you were in the lane 1 then when he pulled out you could have carried on up the inside. Problem solved. I thank you

lol, i thought the same

Either

1:Benji was going alot quicker so in theory he got to the car alot quicker than it took to read the "i'm in the outside lane" post

2 Benji: found it irrelvent to tell of any other traffic on the road

3: The dual carridge way had 3 lanes, and he was still in the outside lane

Anyway, I still think Benji was probably in the right as its the old pratts on the road that think they know the highway code and travel at 5mph below the speed limit that think they are right (like the ones that indicate right and then left to go straight on at a roundabout)
Old 06 February 2007, 09:12 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
lol, i thought the same

Either

1:Benji was going alot quicker so in theory he got to the car alot quicker than it took to read the "i'm in the outside lane" post

2 Benji: found it irrelvent to tell of any other traffic on the road

3: The dual carridge way had 3 lanes, and he was still in the outside lane

Anyway, I still think Benji was probably in the right as its the old pratts on the road that think they know the highway code and travel at 5mph below the speed limit that think they are right (like the ones that indicate right and then left to go straight on at a roundabout)

As it happens, there was a line of traffic behind the bugger waiting for him to pull out so they could undertake him . If he had pulled out within a second or so of indicating, I could have safely changed lanes (and there were only two) or slowed down, and everyone would have been happy(ish). What confused me was indicating and then waiting some time before pulling out, and chosing the exact moment when he was being overtaken to do so. It's like when you see a car waiting to join the road at a T junction, and you see it creep forward and think, "that's a bit tight" and then you see it stop and you think "good choice" and then as you get well beyond the point where the gap has gone, and the bugger pulls out anyway, makes no effort to accelerate and then brake-tests you for tailgating
Old 06 February 2007, 09:16 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

That explains it then