Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Problems with calls on Orange??

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2007, 10:01 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with calls on Orange??

Have any of you who have phones with Orange, had any problems since the New Year with lost calls?

I keep experiencing this. Mid call, the connection just drops. I am in an area where I have full reception... this must be the 6th or 7th time in the last couple of weeks...

I was thinking about getting on to their C/Services but thought I'd see if anyone else has the same problem??
Old 05 February 2007, 10:20 PM
Franx2
Scooby Regular

Location: Known as 'Franx' before my password stopped working....
Cool

No problems with that, although I have experienced pretty useless reception in quite a large number of places - most of the places around the country where I seem to work, in fact....

Having said that, the Orange shops seem far better than any of the other one's I've seen.

I wondered about changing as well, but I can't be bothered changing my number, and they've not been bad overall
Old 05 February 2007, 10:23 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I'm 9 months into a 18month contract, and I am not putting up with dropped calls for that long!!

My sister also is with orange, and her phone ( again in an area of reception) has a tendany to go straight to 'this person is unavailable' even though the phone is on etc..

it's all most bizarre
Old 05 February 2007, 11:37 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a busy network area you are in. Each group of cells can only manage a set amount of calls, so if it is maxed out you can have signal, your phone on, but it won't ring as the cell has no capacity for the call. In which case the calller gets the "unavailable" message.

Equally the same if you are on a call - the cell can drop your call to make way for somebody who has a stronger signal to make thier call

If this is the case then I'm sure Orange are trying to up capacity, lost calls means lost profits!
Old 05 February 2007, 11:59 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Franx2
No problems with that, although I have experienced pretty useless reception in quite a large number of places - most of the places around the country where I seem to work, in fact....
It's because Orange work on the 1800MHz band whereas Voda and O2 use the 900MHz band. Higher radio frequencies tend to act more like visible light, so they have problems passing through walls etc.
Old 06 February 2007, 08:59 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Are you sure its not a fault with your phone. A friend at work had simillar problems, and it turned out to be an intermittant fault with his handset. He got a new one and the problem disappeared. The phone he had a problem with was a Nokia.
Old 06 February 2007, 09:13 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido

Equally the same if you are on a call - the cell can drop your call to make way for somebody who has a stronger signal to make thier call
Thats not the way it works. Once the voice call is set up it wont drop out to make way for someone with a better signal. But you are right about the capacity limits.

It sounds to me like 5 possible problems for your dropped calls, in probable order.

Interference from an adjacent site
Site fault
Core network fault
Phone fault
Other operator fault (i,e are you calling someone on T-mobile etc?)

I take it you are on 2G not 3G? How do you know you are in an area of good coverage btw? (coverage indicators on the phone are not accurate)

Make a complaint to customer services. They should send an engineer into the area to make test calls. He (or she) will then analyse the network in your area and if its a simple problem should be able fix it fairly quickly.
Old 06 February 2007, 09:56 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on Orange and whilst I occassionally get this problem, I have another one which concerns me more.

A friend called me last week and told me he'd been trying to contact me for 2 days. He'd called several times and, whilst my phone was on, he got the message that my number was no longer in use, then, the next time, it went through to my answer phone.

If it happens again, I'll contact Orange. I can't be bothered to wait at the moment in their 'long' que for a customer service advisor.
Old 06 February 2007, 06:53 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

that sounds simialr to what I get with my sister ( we are both on orange).

The dropped calls are to yet another orange phone. but now you mention it, it may be the handset as when I dial my fiances landline, more often than not, it won't connect. I redial and then it does
Old 06 February 2007, 08:17 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

ive had it with my phone a few times drives me mad
takes for ever for someone to get a txt from me too dont know whats going on with them recently

Last edited by Stephb1986; 06 February 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06 February 2007, 08:44 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Had lots of problems between last Wed and Sat with Orange. Couldn't get connected with any signal at all at times and didn't receive one or two texts from mates.

Must admit though in all the years that I've used Orange these are the first problems that I've ever experienced.
Old 06 February 2007, 09:17 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

Also been having problems with Orange recently.

Dropping calls, people going direct to answerphone even when I have full 3g signal. Then won't let me dial or txt just get "error in connection" so try redial 30+ times and eventually get connected.
Been p!ssing me right off lately and has prevented customers from contacting me.

Not happy about it but Orange say it must be because I'm in a poor signal area . . . I've got full bl00dy signal you moronic to$$er
Old 06 February 2007, 09:19 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

In fact using Orange is almost as bad as using Scoobynet with its problems at the mo'
Old 06 February 2007, 10:14 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it could well be a core network issue then... i.e the bit between the cell sites and the rest of the world.
Old 06 February 2007, 10:26 PM
Onan The Barbarian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been having problems with mine tonight too

Been unable to make calls and stuff

I had the dipsh!t on the other end of the line seeing if I was in an area of decent signal. I pointed out to him that there are about 5 enormous Orange masts on top of a six storey block of flats about 100 metres away from the back of my house
Old 06 February 2007, 10:29 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

I just typed a long reply to you in muppets - only to find you've escaped

I'd better move it now
Old 06 February 2007, 10:30 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

i'll put it in there>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
and in here...
so you'll see it

I have that too - only when I dial my fiances landline...i try to redial and it works..?

Thats been happening for a couple of months just on his number. Now I'm chatting away on the phone to somone and it just goes dead... it's happening more and more..*

I try to dial my sisters orange mobile, and I get 'this person is unavailable' - doesn't go to voicemail or anything. I have to text her to phone me - even though her phone is on and she and I are both in area of reception.

I'm going to call them tomorrow. I want a new handset I want a pink one

* perhaps its their subtle way of telling me to stop phoning them