Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do You Suffer From 'Affluenza'?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2007, 12:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Do You Suffer From 'Affluenza'?

We have a loud group on here who moan and blub and complain about their 'lot' ...... are they actually suffering from 'Affluenza'?

"The Affluenza virus is a set of values which increase our vulnerability to psychological distress: placing a high value on acquiring money and possessions, looking good in the eyes of others and wanting to be famous. Many studies have shown that infection with the virus increases your susceptibility to the commonest mental illnesses: depression, anxiety, substance abuse and personality disorder"

"The virus values prevent you from fulfilling fundamental human needs which seem to exist in every society. Whereas you want a better car or greater intelligence or bigger house, you can survive without them; the same is not true of Needs"

Oliver James: On the money | Health and wellbeing | Life and Health

Seek out what really matters ..... time not money, contentment not dis-illusionment.

Stop blaming everyone else for feeling un-happy ...... get out and live life, cut your own furrow, lead your own life.
Old 02 February 2007, 01:13 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HANDS UP:

Ok, ok, he's finally posted something worthwhile and insightful!
Old 02 February 2007, 01:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A very perspicaceous post PSL, congratulations.

Les
Old 02 February 2007, 01:34 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

It why I frequently tell my boss to ***k off when he tries to get me to do over time.

Work to live, not live to work.

Life is far more important

I have no mortage, paid off my CCs; What I can't afford I question its need in my life. 99% of the time its not needed so therfore I live without. It is only possesions.

I also "test" the attitudes of poeple and companies I have to deal with by the way I carry myself when I meet them; I don't dress to impress. If they look down on and judge me based on that, they have nothing good to offer me.

Afterall, that client you met, with bedhair, unshaven face and well worn jeans might be of far more value than a suited yes man.

You'll never know the possibilities if basing your judgements on someone's apparant affluence. And trying to make yourself look like what you are not will never answer your needs in life.

Last edited by Shark Man; 02 February 2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02 February 2007, 01:42 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Hurrah!

Stop reading the Daily Mail, stop blaming NL for everything, get out and enjoy the finer things in life for free.

Had an amazing surf yesterday after a rather stressful morning - That helps but probably doesn't apply to many here!

Afflueza -Great word!
Old 02 February 2007, 01:44 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I've decided I don't need a porsche.

From this day forth there will be food for the children in my household.

On a serious note,most people have so much unnecessary junk.Didn't realise my life wouldn't go on if I didn't have sky,contract mobile phone and broadband at home.

3 things that get right up my nose what a waste of £100 a month
Old 02 February 2007, 01:47 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I enjoy reading the daily mail, blame NL for many many things (and rightly so) but enjoy the free and fine things in life also.
This means I have superspecialintelligentopenmindedfluenza... Symptoms are smug grin for not being a liberal tw@t, intelligent, popular, happy, not really bothered what others think, enough money to get by and not suffering from deluded newspaper snobbery
Old 02 February 2007, 01:50 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I often feel that I suffer from Afflueza and I think to a degree I do. I can't deny that I like the finer things in life and I have a burning desire to have a Ferrari

When I more closely examine these thoughts though there is a central underlying theme. I desire choice. Everytime I find myself imagining/thinking about/planning a more affluent life than I have now its nearly always centred around having more life choice. Choice of when to work, choice of how much to work, choice of when to play, etc, etc. I'm personally just not cut out to be a worker drone. Most of my desires in life are to be in a situation where I have freedom and I'm not locked into getting up and going to work to do something unfulfilling just so I can pay the mortgage and stick £30 of v-power in the Impreza. I'd happily get rid of the scooby and similar luxuries if I could wake up and in the morning and think, "wow, scortcher I think I'll get outside and enjoy the day and perhaps work a few hours this evening!"

Just my 2p worth
Old 02 February 2007, 01:59 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

£30 of v-power in the Impreza.
WTF

When did you buy another shed ??????

Gees a shot

Piccies ????

Come on, come on
Old 02 February 2007, 02:04 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, just before xmas mate - I'll try and get some pics of my own soon or better yet might take you for a spin in it. You'd break it - it feels fragile Back to the good old days of 'Full throttle = will she blow, will she blow, will she blow'
Old 02 February 2007, 02:53 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by pslewis
We have a loud group on here who moan and blub and complain about their 'lot' ...... are they actually suffering from 'Affluenza'?

"The Affluenza virus is a set of values which increase our vulnerability to psychological distress: placing a high value on acquiring money and possessions, looking good in the eyes of others and wanting to be famous.

"The virus values prevent you from fulfilling fundamental human needs which seem to exist in every society. Whereas you want a better car or greater intelligence or bigger house, you can survive without them; the same is not true of Needs"

Christ Pete, you'd better get down the doctors quick style and hope there's a cure.....
Old 02 February 2007, 03:07 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

You'd break it - it feels fragile Back to the good old days of 'Full throttle = will she blow, will she blow, will she blow'
Quality

Takes you back eh ?

See ya soon
Old 02 February 2007, 05:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I had an interview for a higher grade job a few weeks ago .... I walked out of it (after doing pretty badly, I have to admit) - thinking of what I have and can I be arsed with what the new job would throw at me?

As it is I am in my comfort zone doing what I'm doing .... I was challenged to 'lean' out of it by management - but, tell you what, I don't think I damn well want to!

I walked out of the interview and in my mind popped what I do when the sun shines - take the afternoon off, go home, pull the MX5 out of the garage, dust her down, start her up and go for an afternoons drive through the New Forest and maybe onto the Coast ..... and, you know something? It doesn't get much better than that!!

When I was younger and paying off a mortgage and debts and loans and stuff, then money mattered more than time and I worked all hours I could.

Now though, in the twilight, time is FAR more important than money, than status, than power ..... it's about now that people realise the Hippies and drop-outs actually have hit on something!!
Old 02 February 2007, 08:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

You are en engma mate, 78 and still ascending the corporate ladder.

Just tell us your true age !
Old 02 February 2007, 09:37 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

"The Affluenza virus is a set of values which increase our vulnerability to psychological distress: placing a high value on acquiring money and possessions, looking good in the eyes of others and wanting to be famous.
Slightly ironic though ...as he sat on the GM TV sofa this morning ...plugging his new book!

Last edited by DazW; 02 February 2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:02 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

I had an interview for a higher grade job a few weeks ago .... I walked out of it (after doing pretty badly, I have to admit)
Yeah, you need to turn the cans so all the labels line up neatly. Don't let it get you down, though

Last edited by Dieseldog; 02 February 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:46 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

I can feel the sensitivity oozing from this thread.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:57 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Taking a holiday in a Country where they have absolutely nothing compared to Westerners wakes you up to what life can be like without all the materialistic bollocks we drag around with us.
Those people are the happiest liveliest, friendliest people I've EVER met in my life..

Andy

P.s scoobs for sale if anyone wants it.
Old 03 February 2007, 12:07 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Fuzz I once wrote an MSN message to a mate where I said I'd gladly swap my life for someone like you describe and he copied it and sent it round all our other friends entitled, "check out kenny's rant!". I was quite serious!!! As you say - happy as hell living in a mud hut having probably never even seen a car!
Old 03 February 2007, 02:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had an interview for a higher grade job a few weeks ago .... I walked out of it (after doing pretty badly, I have to admit) - thinking of what I have and can I be arsed with what the new job would throw at me?

As it is I am in my comfort zone doing what I'm doing .... I was challenged to 'lean' out of it by management - but, tell you what, I don't think I damn well want to!

I walked out of the interview and in my mind popped what I do when the sun shines - take the afternoon off, go home, pull the MX5 out of the garage, dust her down, start her up and go for an afternoons drive through the New Forest and maybe onto the Coast ..... and, you know something? It doesn't get much better than that!!

When I was younger and paying off a mortgage and debts and loans and stuff, then money mattered more than time and I worked all hours I could.

Now though, in the twilight, time is FAR more important than money, than status, than power ..... it's about now that people realise the Hippies and drop-outs actually have hit on something!!
Spot on!

Les
Old 03 February 2007, 02:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Spot on!

Les
Careful Les, you might start liking me

Group Hug Everyone?
Old 03 February 2007, 02:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I was very poor about 25 years ago, sat in a freezing cold rented house - not enough money to buy coal (for the only heating we had - ONE open fire!).

We would go to the woods and collect fallen branches and logs .... would go to the pub and sit for hours with 1/2 pint on the table - just to keep warm.

Many a morning we had to crack the ice in the loo - and break the ice in the cistern!!

Were we happy? Well, yes, I guess we were ....... everything meant so much more - a colour TV was regarded as the supreme luxury for us!

Now, I have money to buy what I want, when I want, but have nothing to buy anymore and thats sad ...............

Don't get me wrong ...... I would rather be where I am now than sat in that lounge 25 years ago with the metal windows rattling and a gale blowing through the house ....... but, happiness is not bought - it is a state of mind.

It is all about contentment ...... if you can find that then you have found the end of the rainbow ...
Old 03 February 2007, 03:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It would be dishonest not to say when you are right PSL.

Les
Old 03 February 2007, 03:16 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Taking a holiday in a Country where they have absolutely nothing compared to Westerners wakes you up to what life can be like without all the materialistic bollocks we drag around with us.
Those people are the happiest liveliest, friendliest people I've EVER met in my life..

Andy

P.s scoobs for sale if anyone wants it.

Totally agree there, I holiday in India regiularly and like you say they have nothing (to our standards) yet are happy as anything.
Old 03 February 2007, 03:31 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

So how did you change your circumstances and make your money Pete?
Old 03 February 2007, 03:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
A very perspicaceous post PSL, congratulations.

Les
Les, thats only the second time that a ScoobyNet user has used the adjective perspicacious here! Unfortunately most SN users dont know wtf it means.....

With regards to Peter's post; the irony of it seems to have been lost on many. Was that half of the fun of it Pete, eh?

Simon
Old 03 February 2007, 03:46 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Les, thats only the second time that a ScoobyNet user has used the adjective perspicacious here! Unfortunately most SN users dont know wtf it means.....

With regards to Peter's post; the irony of it seems to have been lost on many. Was that half of the fun of it Pete, eh?

Simon
It would have been more impressive if I had got the spelling right though.

I thought I would spare you all the details of my even more dire straights during my earlier days though!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 03 February 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03 February 2007, 03:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I was too polite to mention that.....