Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

OT:Dr. John Banks,PLEASE respond!

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2001, 07:39 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,can people really get the hoof-n-mouth disease?I'm a dairy farmer.Cows are my life,so to speek,and there's been a rumoured report of a child having it here.
Thing is,my daughter was going to go to her house this afternoon for a while,but then the wife just "casually" slipped in that a hospital diagnosed her with this yesterday.
The USDA should've heard about this within moments!Nothing.
This "could" be the first reported sign here in the US and to think it started with my cows??
John,any and all info you have on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Steve
Old 16 July 2001, 07:50 PM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Sorry John,I screwed up.Our cows don't have it yet.Alledgedly(sp)this little girl(my niece)contracted it from a small zoo not too far away.So you can see that if this is for real,I could've transported it to my farm.
Sorry John(and Nick)I don't meen to use this as a talk show.But I've been reading,almost daily,of your struggles there with it.Total devastation of the industry.I knew it would reach us here in time,but not so close to home,literally.
Thank you for any and all help gentlmem!
Steve
Old 16 July 2001, 07:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC, the most recent documented case of Foot and Mouth disease in humans in the UK was in the 1960s, and it presented with mild symptoms of sore throat and mouth ulcers, "Foot and Mouth Disease in Man." Lancet 6 May 1967:994. Beyond that my knowledge is limited as really it is so rare in humans and when it does occur it is self-limiting and requires no treatment.
Old 16 July 2001, 09:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Cor, you learn something every day. And Steve, no worries! U don't need to apologise!!! Talk all you want
Old 16 July 2001, 09:15 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

John

6 minutes, not bad

Martin

editted because I forgot to post anything at all

[This message has been edited by Scooby Doc (edited 16 July 2001).]
Old 16 July 2001, 10:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did edit my post twice to add a few more links though! Do you think I would make it as a TV Doctor - seems like a fairly dossy job?
Old 17 July 2001, 01:37 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for your quick response John!I think you're right on the money with your diognosis,at least from what the wife described.But she swore it was called hoof and mouth.BAAAD choice of words!
I went into panic mode.Where the zoo has imported animals I found it to be very possible that it could've been true.
I've heard nothing from the hospital or the DA yet,so I guess I jumped the gun.We've all gotten our instructions for prevention and containment of it from the DA so we're all a little on edge.
Again,thank you John.I never would've slept tonight if I didn't find something out about this.It was quite a relief I'll tell ya!
I owe you one.
Old 17 July 2001, 03:27 AM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Hey guys, I have to say that i'm a dairy farmer in Sussex and it's good to hear that Steve hasn't got to worry (though I don't blame the panic mode bit!). We've had some trouble, no f&m but just hassle moving sheep from our cow pasture, licences from the ministry are a nightmare to sort out. Silage making etc is all months behind and with little rain things are starting to get tense round here. I shouldn't complain though, Cumbria and the south west has had the hardest time of it all and still is as far as I understand. We'll just have to be vigilant and hopefully it will fade out. Ben
Old 17 July 2001, 03:53 AM
rockin'Ru
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Ben!
Yeah,it's been pretty rough here too.We had a very dry spring to start with so the grass was slow.Then we got some of the rain we needed,then another dry spell.Now that it's time to bale hay,it won't stop raining.On top of that,we're just getting past an invasion of "army worms"(catterpilars)that totally destroyed thousands of acres of feed.Needless to say,we're bummin.We got off pretty easy compared to some.They completly leveled 80 acres of corn in two days in one place.Crazy.
Good thing we're tougher than a bag of nails,eh?
Old 17 July 2001, 10:22 AM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

John

TV Doc sounds good - you would have to give up moonlighting as a **** Star though

Martin