Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Are you crap at driving like me?
Yes, I try to drive a bit quick but I don't have much bottle
18.68%
No, I'm fcuking ace and no-one can touch me
16.48%
I'm a "hand" but I don't brag about it
13.19%
I'm ok, but I drive safely on the roads by choice
51.65%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Crap at driving

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2007, 12:59 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap at driving

My name is Bob, and I'm crap at driving.

Which is not to say that I'm discourteous on the road, inattentive or not in control of my vehicle - just that I'm not Castleford's answer to Seb Loeb.

Anyone else want to handbrake-turn out of the closet?
Old 22 January 2007, 07:06 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I do drive too fast at times and yes I have been known to drive like a complete tool on the odd occasion , however most of the time, I dont get the bleeding chance due to traffic, so maybe thats a good thing.

had a track day so know what the car can do, but still dont trust myself

Always think I would run out of talent well before the car ever did ....
Old 22 January 2007, 07:40 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

As above

DAn
Old 22 January 2007, 08:27 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Option 4 for me Never been on a track and once went straight on at a bend writing off a Volvo 940 se turbo But that was 14 years ago and I've improved a little since then
Old 22 January 2007, 09:44 AM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Agree with Swiss' and Scooby'
I've made a couple of dodgy overtakes recently which I'd also like to be taken into account.

My god, I feel cleansed
Old 22 January 2007, 09:47 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

there is no options for me slow because i'm no good
Old 22 January 2007, 09:49 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Wink

My style all the way
Old 22 January 2007, 09:57 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I taught Schuey all he knows
Old 22 January 2007, 10:02 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Drove a lot faster back in NZ and Australia, UK road are either too busy, have no visibility or the conditions too wet.
Old 22 January 2007, 10:51 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive a lot safer than I used to,putting your car upside down into a field with petrol pouring on you has that effect
Old 22 January 2007, 10:56 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Used to be a bit of a nutter when I was younger, and although I have the odd blast now, I also have "the fear", so any quick driving I do, my time is spent worrying what would happen if I binned it.

These days I prefer swift driving on country roads, rather than tearing it up and taking bends at silly speeds.

Must be getting old
Old 22 January 2007, 11:14 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Used to be a bit of a nutter when I was younger, and although I have the odd blast now, I also have "the fear", so any quick driving I do, my time is spent worrying what would happen if I binned it.

These days I prefer swift driving on country roads, rather than tearing it up and taking bends at silly speeds.

Must be getting old
ditto, 'the fear'. mostly brought about by a couple of instances where i'm travelling quicker than other drivers are expecting me to be and then they pull out on me

rather enjoy poodling along at 30 to these days
Old 22 January 2007, 11:28 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Ticking the 3rd option allows for no further response.
Old 22 January 2007, 11:31 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by trails
ditto, 'the fear'. mostly brought about by a couple of instances where i'm travelling quicker than other drivers are expecting me to be and then they pull out on me

rather enjoy poodling along at 30 to these days

Thats what I had happen to me, motorbike pulled out without looking and left me with the option of taking him out or a detour into the nearest field he never even stopped either, just drove off after the accident.
Old 22 January 2007, 11:35 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

He would have 'rode' off on a motorbike!!
Old 22 January 2007, 11:35 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Spoon
He would have 'rode' off on a motorbike!!

Old 22 January 2007, 11:38 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver

Must be getting old

You and me both mate!!

Recall one incident recenty, pulled into the outside lane of a DC and gave the scooby a chance to stretch its legs; some plonker in a BMW pulled straight out in front of me (I don't know whether he simply didn't look, or wanted to test the performance of his car) I think both of us were unpleasantly surprised -for different reasons- to find out that had it not been for a very quick stab of the brakes on my part, I would have been retrieving his boot BMW badge from my spleen!! I learned three things on that day

1) I should have been more prepared for this (I'm obviously not Don Palmer)
2) The Std 4 pots on my Scooby work well enough!

And most importantly:

3) F**king BMW drivers, bunch of &*!%s..... cont'd in pretty much any SN thread you'd care to mention!!
Old 22 January 2007, 11:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I used to drive fast on the roads in the days when the traffic was a great deal lighter. Don't bother so much now unless I am returning from night sea trout fishing when the traffic has disapppeared.

I found that track racing was satisfying enough and did not see much point in driving like that on public roads. Most of my racing friends felt the same way funnily enough.

Kiwi,

I prefer wet roads because it does not wear the tyres out so much

Les
Old 22 January 2007, 11:48 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

I've found that since I sold my Scoob and bought a BMW my driving has got safer, more consistent and probably more enjoyable. Perhaps because the M5 is a little too large to hoon around country lanes in an Impreza stylee

But I do press on a bit on open roads. After all, what's the point of 400bhp if you never use it?

SB
Old 22 January 2007, 11:59 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

On the roads I probably don't drive as well as I do on the Ring. I do OK though, probably a bit more cautious in my old age

On track days and the Ring it's a different matter. Concentration levels are so much higher and touch wood, I haven't come a cropper yet. Last year at the Ring I had the misfortune to come round a corner and find a biker in the middle of the road trying to drag his bike over to the armco. After a bit of fishtailing, I managed to park it nicely without hitting him, the bike or the armco.

God was smiling on me that day!
Old 22 January 2007, 12:04 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Thats what I had happen to me, motorbike pulled out without looking and left me with the option of taking him out or a detour into the nearest field he never even stopped either, just drove off after the accident.
the one that really made me think was a very close miss; i was pressing on in a national speed limit B road, and came to a stretch of downhill with a turning on the left at the bottom of the hill about 400 yards away. There was a car at the side road indicating right; i saw him turn his head and look at me, he then looked left and pulled out at the same time…I was within 2 car lengths of him

The only reason I didn't t-bone him (probably killing both of us), was down to luck; there was no-one else on the road he was pulling out of so I was able to swerve into it and around him.

shook me up properly
Old 22 January 2007, 12:05 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

i used to drive around like a complete tit about 3 years ago but now im far to paranoid about oil on the road, police,killing someone and killing myself lol!
done a few track days and had some good sessions though! all in all the scoob dosnt get treated like i stole it!
Old 22 January 2007, 12:29 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've found that the older i get, the more of a ***** i become!
I don't know if its through experience that i've learnt to be more careful, or i'm just scared easily now.

I've had a few crashes, both car and motorbike, and now i know what the consequences are if you are driving/riding like a ***.
You may know the road like the back of your hand, but you never know what may be round the corner, and before you know it, blue lights and you're looking for a tasty set of alloys for your wheelchair. Sad but true!

From riding a bike i've also realised how poor and unpredictable other road users can be. Don't trust 'em!
Old 22 January 2007, 12:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Fort
I've found that the older i get, the more of a ***** i become!
I don't know if its through experience that i've learnt to be more careful, or i'm just scared easily now.

I've had a few crashes, both car and motorbike, and now i know what the consequences are if you are driving/riding like a ***.
You may know the road like the back of your hand, but you never know what may be round the corner, and before you know it, blue lights and you're looking for a tasty set of alloys for your wheelchair. Sad but true!

From riding a bike i've also realised how poor and unpredictable other road users can be. Don't trust 'em!

I'd agree with that. did my bike test a few years back and although I don't ride anymore I'm a better driver for it. Having children and losing parents also has an effect, you ealise you are actually mortal.

As a teen I used to hoon about a bit, went down a road I know so well a couple of months back (in N Wales) and remembered how quickly i used to drive it, then noticed all the blind farm entrances and such, shuddered a little I can tell you!

Did a fast road driving course a couple of years back and thoroughly enjoyed it, taught me a few tricks which makes driving a little more enjoyable than before.
Old 22 January 2007, 12:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't class myself as a good driver, adequate at best, I drive too fast, make mistakes etc.

I am a 'Driver' though, as opposed to a lot of the country who are car operators, no interest in a cars, a means to an end who either hate driving or arent bothered. I enjoy my driving and am interested in cars which I reckon helps in some ways but can be a hinderance in others, I am more aware than I may otherwise be which is good but am apt to try stuff car operators arent bothered about like cornering and blasting off the lights to see if my car is a match for another car.

Never trust anyone who claims to be a good driver, he only one who can is the 80 year old who has never caused an accident or hurt anyone.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Experience counts for a lot more than many are prepared to admit to!

Les
Old 22 January 2007, 01:59 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Experience counts for a lot more than many are prepared to admit to!
Yup, I find I'm driving more and more defensively these days, especially after almost being killed by an idiot in a lorry a couple of years ago. There seems to be more and more people with zero common sense on the roads each year.
Old 22 January 2007, 02:17 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
Yup, I find I'm driving more and more defensively these days, especially after almost being killed by an idiot in a lorry a couple of years ago. There seems to be more and more people with zero common sense on the roads each year.
majority of people drive with their heads cut off, miles away from the activity they are actually undertaking; modern cars are all so quiet and user friendly its all too easy.
Old 22 January 2007, 02:31 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Never trust anyone who claims to be a good driver, he only one who can is the 80 year old who has never caused an accident or hurt anyone.
My grandmother has been driving for 60 years and has NEVER had an accident!

She's seen thousands!!
Old 22 January 2007, 02:33 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I'm even crap on track as well, just always worry about losing the backend or crashing and being killed, even on a circuit

Quick Reply: Crap at driving