Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New York Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2007, 09:16 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New York Car Rental

Going with my mates, for his 21st to NY. Were booked up etc, but car rental is letting us down, also hotels not sure where to start. We leave 16th March. Every rental car company needs us to be a minimum of 21, I'm 20. Fair enough, but then they are charging us an extra $43 tax for being young, and thats per person!!!! x 7 days = total rip off.

Any advice or personal experience etc etc or places to visit while there? Thinking of staying in the Marriot courtyard hotel in or near times square.
Old 21 January 2007, 09:31 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want a car in Manhattan?
Old 21 January 2007, 09:33 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Why do you want a car
Old 21 January 2007, 09:33 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

A car in Manhattan is a complete waste of time. Taxi and subway is your best bet.
Old 21 January 2007, 09:39 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh forgot to mention, we will be driving out of new york, possibly to washington, atlantic city or maybe Niagra fall, yet to be decided. its only for 5days and the remaining 5days in NY.
Old 21 January 2007, 09:41 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Use the train....
Old 21 January 2007, 09:48 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

when we were 20 we hired a car through enterprise in NYC for a fortnight to travel down to North Carolina, we had to phone them for a quote, got a quality price on a ford taurus but when we got there they upgraded us to a brand new Pontiac Grand Prix

No extra charge for being young either
Old 21 January 2007, 10:18 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

You think 43 bucks as an age surcharge is expensive, you will have a shock at a) tipping b) sales tax c) how much it costs to park your rental car-even in the hotels parking lot (if it has one).
99% of car rental companys in the US nowadays will whack on a surcharge for being under 25- no way around it.

Having a car on a visit there while staying Manhattan is completely retarded.
Trust me- I spent around 4 months in total in NY last year, and I didnt even consider renting a car. When I do finally relocate there for good, the only reason I will have a car is because I will be living in Brooklyn, and I can leave it parked without paying a fortune or getting it towed, as it would in Manhattan.

To DC, get the amtrak express (www.amtrak.com) under 3 hours and decently priced, or get the shuttle plane from LGA to IAD.
Niagra and Atlantic city- hire a car as and when you need it- pointless for the 7 days.
Trust me- I spent 4 months and 3.5 days in total in NY last year, and I didnt even consider renting a car. When I do finally relocate there for good, there the only reason I will have a car is because I will be living in Brooklyn, and I can leave it parked on the street outside apartment without paying a fortune or getting it towed, as it would in Manhattan.

If you are determined, then get an AMEX platinum charge card- has full holiday and rental insurance.... and means you can refuse every single insurance charge on rental cars. Saves a fair bit, but then the card costs £300 a yr and you need to be accepted for it in the first place.......

Last edited by Freak; 21 January 2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 21 January 2007, 10:22 PM
MiniShaz
Scooby Regular

Location: In the village where the 102 yr old woman still drives

If you're going for yr mate's 21st, then get him to drive

We stayed at the Radisson on Lexington Avenue, can't remember how much but v.nice and fairly cheap. Not far from all tourist hotspots like Empire State, Central Park, Fifth Ave, Times Sq, etc. Booked through Expedia.com.
Old 22 January 2007, 08:36 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harry007
Oh forgot to mention, we will be driving out of new york, possibly to washington, atlantic city or maybe Niagra fall, yet to be decided. its only for 5days and the remaining 5days in NY.
Driving is fine - but Washington is a fair lick in itself, and Niagara Falls is a very long journey, so bear in mind the time it will take you to do it. Driving will take a day pretty much and then a day back - have you all that time to spare? far better to fly or even use Amtrak which itself is pretty slow, so you need to factor that in.

If you fancy some decent shopping, and want to use the exchange rate to your advantage, fantastic Outlet mall about 1 hour (maybe less) from NYC on the border of NY and NJ - called Woodbury Common - with all the major brands represented, and 220 outlet stores. Just take I-87 out of the city, and come off at Junction 16 (where the toll booths are). I have been there many a time, always spent a fortune by getting carried away and gives you all that NYC offers but a lot cheaper and all in one place.

Woodbury Common Premium Outlets

Andy
Old 22 January 2007, 10:07 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
If you fancy some decent shopping, and want to use the exchange rate to your advantage, fantastic Outlet mall about 1 hour (maybe less) from NYC on the border of NY and NJ - called Woodbury Common - with all the major brands represented, and 220 outlet stores. Just take I-87 out of the city, and come off at Junction 16 (where the toll booths are). I have been there many a time, always spent a fortune by getting carried away and gives you all that NYC offers but a lot cheaper and all in one place.

Woodbury Common Premium Outlets

Andy
Or you could just go to Century 21.