Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Good watch websites.

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2007, 11:57 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good watch websites.

I know of Blitz Watches and AATime, but anyone know any other good watch sites.
I am looking at a Tag Aquaracer Chronograph but Blitz are saying 8 weeks delivery !

R.
Old 17 January 2007, 12:49 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
I know of Blitz Watches and AATime, but anyone know any other good watch sites.
I am looking at a Tag Aquaracer Chronograph but Blitz are saying 8 weeks delivery !

R.
www.chronomaster.co.uk is a good one. Not sure they'll have a Tag Aquaracer though. I'm a bit anti-TAG personally, cos I think they're a bit pricey... for Aquaracer money I'd be looking at something else. A Glycine maybe, or Sinn... or a Seamaster if you fancy a bit more bling. Bell & Ross make some groovy divers watches too.

Check out the Sinn UX Einsatzzeitmesser 2 B - technically miles ahead of an Aquaracer for a bit less £. But less bling. TAGs are nice but you pay a bit for the name in my view. Which is totally fair enough if you like them.

Did you look at tagwatchesdirect.co.uk?
Old 17 January 2007, 01:39 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for this - no I hadn't seen tagwatchesdirect, looks good site & they have can get them in 3-5 days, if I go for that Tag.

Cheers

R.
Old 17 January 2007, 02:50 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

It looked ok I thought, no experience with them though.

I tend to favour military or pilot style watches myself, and I like techy features and dial clarity. I do like the Heuer 70s reissues though.

So many watches, so little time...
Old 17 January 2007, 03:40 PM
GlobalBan
Scooby Regular

Personally I think TAG are crap watches in general and the aquaracer looks nasty to me but that's down to taste. I also think most quartz watches are missing the point somewhat but that said I'd also recommend chronomaster.

Have you put any thought into buying a real watch? I've mentioned it before but this SINN U1 1000m is fantastic value for money and is going to gain value as time goes by rather than dropping 50% in the first year like the TAG.

Otherwise why not minimise depreciation by going for a pre-owned but unworn TAG from somewhere like Blowers Jewellers Rolex Watches UK. Omega, Breitling, Franck Muller, Cartier, Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Officine Panerai and many other of the worlds leading watch makers .
Old 17 January 2007, 05:00 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Another Sinn fan. The U1 is a bit special I agree.

Buying a Tag doesn't make you a bad person! Nor a quartz movement, some of which are fantastic. But there are a lot of really good watches that cost less cos they haven't got the flash... prices for Rolexes, Breitlings and Tag-Heuer have gone mental over the last 10-20 years, but the watches are much the same. Which means they're great watches, but internally a Breiters or Rolex isn't that different from a watch that costs a lot less. Those two will always re-sell however, so you might recover some of that if you want to sell.
Old 17 January 2007, 06:02 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my TAG Heuer Monza Calibre 36 from here ,

https://www.tagwatchesdirect.co.uk/tag_heuer.html
Old 17 January 2007, 08:02 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

That Blowers Jewellers looks well priced. An Omega moon watch for 950 is pretty good, assuming decent condition.
Old 18 January 2007, 07:06 AM
Seamaster
BANNED

Tag. Do you realy think they are Good? !!!! THem and breitling are the most over rated watches ever.
Old 18 January 2007, 08:13 AM
GlobalBan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Longjing
Another Sinn fan. The U1 is a bit special I agree.

Buying a Tag doesn't make you a bad person! Nor a quartz movement, some of which are fantastic.
I agree that it doesn't make someone a 'bad person'. It just means they have undeveloped tastes and probably haven't done much research other than looking at glossy advertisements. It's a free world, some people like to drink stella and eat from the salad trough in harvester 'restaurants'. That's their misfortune rather than mine.

I thought the original poster might appreciate some other options, particularly as they might stand to gain value in time rather than shed it.

The quartz v mechanical debate isn't that straightforward I'll agree but many TAG watches are the worst examples of overpriced, mass produced, low quality cr@p being sold on the name alone. That's part of the reason one can buy these £500-£1000 Tag watches for half of their original price at secondhand dealers. Worse than that imagine what price they actually give them for the watch when they sell it.
Of course that isn't an issue if they keep it forever but maybe they'll wise up at some point and decide they don't want a horological turd on their wrist until the day they die.
Old 18 January 2007, 11:35 AM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlobalBan
I agree that it doesn't make someone a 'bad person'. It just means they have undeveloped tastes and probably haven't done much research other than looking at glossy advertisements. It's a free world, some people like to drink stella and eat from the salad trough in harvester 'restaurants'. That's their misfortune rather than mine.

I thought the original poster might appreciate some other options, particularly as they might stand to gain value in time rather than shed it.

The quartz v mechanical debate isn't that straightforward I'll agree but many TAG watches are the worst examples of overpriced, mass produced, low quality cr@p being sold on the name alone. That's part of the reason one can buy these £500-£1000 Tag watches for half of their original price at secondhand dealers. Worse than that imagine what price they actually give them for the watch when they sell it.
Of course that isn't an issue if they keep it forever but maybe they'll wise up at some point and decide they don't want a horological turd on their wrist until the day they die.
Well, there's something in what you say I think, but I was just trying to keep it pleasant. If someone fancies a Tag, good luck to em. You can highlight other options in a number of ways.

Breitling and TAG are not to be compared imo. Breitling had some quality control issues but they are a proper watchmaker. And Tag make some ok watches too... the Cal 36 movement isn't bad, for instance (based on a lemania movement I think, not sure though). But they aren't especially good value I agree, either of them.