Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Medical Records

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2001, 11:57 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, like he's going to let us in on the fact that at med school they train them to say "Don't worry, it's a virus" whatever you've got Handy that viruses don't respond to antibiotics isn't it, as prescribing antibiotics costs the practice money.

[Edited by carl - 12/4/2001 11:57:51 AM]
Old 12 April 2001, 02:27 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

zoog -- lighten up dude

[Actually I've only been to the doctor's twice in the last 7 years, but what seems to happen is you wait for a long time and then they tell you they can't do anything]

[Edited by carl - 12/4/2001 2:28:49 PM]
Old 03 December 2001, 02:52 AM
PhilM
Scooby Newbie

Anyone know how i can lose my medical records?

Theres gotta be a way somehow, was thinking along the lines of moving doctors and them somehow fookin up????

Any ideas at all?????? Quiet urgent...there has to be a way (I mean its easy enough to become a dofferent person, just need to lose the records - not much to ask is it?).

Would obv with new doc need a full medical etc etc, thats no drama, just needs to shift the old uns

Many thanks

PS. This is purely for information purposes, i am not upto something
Old 03 December 2001, 06:52 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Talking

ROFL

This is quite THE best question ever posted in the forum for General Questions about Subarus

...sorry PhilM, I'm no doctor but I'd have thought that losing your medical history might just work against if you should have a future health problem. Not that you're up to anything of course...

Old 03 December 2001, 07:00 AM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

WTF??!!

LOL
Call the "Eraser", John ala Arnie to come and 'clean' you.
Old 03 December 2001, 09:38 AM
Bin Laden
Scooby Regular

Something to hide, Mr. M?
Old 03 December 2001, 09:41 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Your GP would have to lose them as they are in his hands, and that's not taking into account hospital records which are separate.

Whats up? Health or Life insurance premium too much?
Old 03 December 2001, 11:20 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Short of breaking into your doctors surgery and stealing the file/ deleting from computer you are stuck with them. Moving doctor won't work, cause you need to give the new doctor your medical card. If you don't have one you will need to provide your Nat Ins number. If you don't give him one/ give the wrong one, they won't register you until they find out. My better half is a practice nurse and she tells me that as fundholders, they try to avoid registering sick people who might cost them money, and aim to register as many healthy people as possible, so they need to see records before deciding wether to accept the new patient.

You could join MI5 or the CIA
Old 03 December 2001, 11:25 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

There was a very interesting program on the other day with Paul Kenyon, how to fake your own death.

I suspect your medical records become obsolete once you've clocked off, changed your name from PhilM to LazarusM and as you've already said, it's easy to create a new identity
Old 03 December 2001, 11:32 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Always wondered about creating a new identiy, anyone want to enlighten me as to how one goes about this? and yes, this is purley for informational purposes, but this stuff does fascinate me!
Old 03 December 2001, 12:01 PM
PhilM2
Scooby Newbie

Okies....forgot me pwd (its on me home pc, im at collage now).

Basicly, im 18....but need new medical records ...Dont care what medical tests the doc decides to run on me, ill pass em no drama, just need shift em on.

I was thinking along the lines of, that not everyone has a doctor.

So if i went to a localish GP (My old man lives in Chelt, i live in glos).....so I could in theory goto a Cheltenham GP, and say "Ive not had a doc before, just moved to Chelt...heres my addy etc etc"

If they say, where were you before make summut up (Ie, some 5 Roe Crescent, Surry or summut stupid, but beleivable). They'd check there and not find anything, no GP before....so give me a new record???

HELP!

Cheers lads...
Old 03 December 2001, 12:51 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

so you've never been to the doctor in 18 years? Sounds a bit suss to me. It might work if you get one of those doddering fools who thinks everything is 'a viral thing'.

New identity - Creating an entirely new one might be a bit difficult, as you need to find a dodgy registrar and then wait 16 years before you can do anything useful, or get really good access to loads of different govt records departments. Adopting someone elses identity is much more straightforward and can be done in a matter of weeks. I have a mate who went to America when he was 16.... get the idea?
Old 03 December 2001, 01:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

as you say, adopting someone elses ID is probably the way to do it.
Old 03 December 2001, 01:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Of course having done so, 'somebody else' can change their name by deed poll or statutory declaration to anything you want.
Old 03 December 2001, 06:29 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Wink

PhilM
There is no way to lose your GP medical records without persuading someone who has acess to them to lose them for you. Even if you moved & re-register your old records can be traced from your NI or NHS number. What normally happens is that when you register with a GP he will request the health authority to locate your current notes, they will then ask the old health authority to transfer them over. This can take 2-3 months in most cases. Very occaisionally they can go missing, not commen at all.

Now if you know someone at the practice receptionist/doc etc they can get your notes for you & then you can obviously do with them as you wish. Alternatively some older practices will give you your notes to take in with you from reception to the doc when called, on the way you could remove/destroy contents. However, this only works for paper records, most surgeries are computer based these days.

Even if you were able to fake your own death the notes are not destroyed. They simply fet returned to the health authority, who I think have to keep them for 21 years.

The only other possible method of acessing notes would be to go to your surgery & ask to see them. Since 1996 or 97 anyone has a right to see their notes and the doc must let you see from that date onwards along as it will not affect your health to do so. In reality docs allow access to all or none. While you were looking you could in theory, if left alone, remove sections.

This is all just hypothetical thoughts of course.

Nib
Old 03 December 2001, 06:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Medical Records belong to the Secretary of State. If you tamper with them I suspect you would be committing a criminal offence. If you wish to see your medical records as pointed out, you can request this, and will be allowed to see anything that your Doctor does not think is detrimental to your health. If you have an issue with the accuracy of the records, then you can ask for a statement to be put into them to that effect. But I would not suggest that it is a good idea to lose them under any circumstances. The only situation I can think that this would "benefit" you is if you are trying to cover a criminal offence or commit fraud. If it is genuine medical history you are trying to cover up, what could be the possible benefit? If it is not and you are not being fraudulous and it is a question of accuracy then get it sorted. I have to say your question is bizzare...

BTW, I am a young GP and a surprising number of things actually ARE viruses!
Old 04 December 2001, 11:35 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

'surprising number of things' ?

Give us a clue then ? I am actually interested.

Old 04 December 2001, 01:45 PM
PhilM2
Scooby Newbie

Ok....not fraud...not criminal

Basicly it said i was short sighted as a kiddie, which aint no help when going for armed forces selection...however my eyes are fine now (naturally before anyone asks), and i jus wanna clean med record.

Just that one entry i could do having took off. Anyone knoe anymore about this, ie if forces is based on current medical (ie they wont find anything wrong with me now), or will that count against me?

Many thanks.

(Ps. amazing how much more helpful you scooby lads are as opposed to the RSOC (im a Ford owner [shock....horror] ) ).
Old 04 December 2001, 01:55 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Join the Forces.

After coming out of N.S. and moving on and then finding a Doctor my records were lost, could not be found or whatever.

So I never had anything wrong with me for twenty odd years.

Old 04 December 2001, 01:59 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

If you're not happy with the diagnosis of "virus" then I ask what is it you want? It sounds as if you'd rather have something more serious and have to take lots of antibiotic pills with side effects, and in doing so encourage drug resistance in bacteria.

It's not the doctor's fault people crowd out his surgery and waste his time and everyone elses taxes with minor complaints like colds, coughs and flu which are entirely self-limiting and are 99% viruses. 20 years ago you wouldn't have bothered a dr with a cold or flu, you'd have had more common sense and gone to bed with the aspirin. The treatment hasn't changed.

People aren't happy it seems unless they get their little prescription, they feel kind of cheated for some reason.

Old 04 December 2001, 05:51 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

If you have had anything recently "done" in an NHS hospital they will have computer based as well as paper based records.

You need to get someone working on a PAS system in the NHS connected up to the NHSnet with a very good knowledge and very lax morals to get rid of this.

Old 04 December 2001, 06:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well said Zoog! And prescribing antibiotics does not cost the practice money. You have a drug budget which is invariably overspent, but in the majority of cases this does not affect the GP's personal finances unless you go silly!

For self limiting or virus try - most colds, coughs, sore throats, tired all the time, middle ear infections, sinusitis, back pain, muscle strain etc. These are the ones you really want to consider carefully if you want to give antibiotics given the problems of "superbug" resistance (a lot more real than you would think), (sometimes fatal) allergy, rashes, nausea, diarrhoea, drug interactions or worse.

Consider even a bacterial sore throat (up to 50% of them) only gets better <12h quicker with anitbiotics than when left alone in randomised double blinded controlled trials.

The thing that annoys me frankly is irresponsible stupid demanding people that demand an antibiotic when they have no knowledge whatsoever and inadequate intellectual capacity or desire to actually have the best or no treatment. Harsh words, but you spend a day working as a GP and see if you feel differently. This annoying group of patients absolve themselves entirely of all personal responsibility or common sense and try and dump all their (non-medical/social) problems onto you to sort out. I select out genuine serious medical problems (inc Psychiatric) and direct people to self help, social work etc, for the rest. I do what I am (relatively) highly and expensively trained and paid for. [rant off]

Regarding the post, just get your eyes tested now and ask for a copy to go to your GP for their records. Anyone that gets upset over previous poor refraction that has settled spontaneously is a bit stupid. There are far worse problems that their recruitment Doctors have to consider!
Old 04 December 2001, 06:30 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

Like increased blood pressure
Old 05 December 2001, 04:20 PM
PhilM
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, will get myself down the speccy place for an eye test (free i think?!) and get that put in there.

Cheers, did seem a bit of an extreme meausre to loose the records for just one entry.....

Many thanks once again

PS...Those lads on about viruses etc, im not unhappy with any diagnosis they have done, havent been to the docs in ageeeees (well once to get a medical reference for pilot training (air cadet glider pilot shcolarship (air cadets???!!!! - sad ******* - maybe...dont give a to55 what anyoine makes of it)), and that was A-OK

Thanks!
Old 05 December 2001, 04:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

speaking to a buddy of mine about this, one of his friends works in the medial records department of a hospital, putting on patient records, ammending them, and such like, and thus I would assume has access to the ability to 'lose' such records. as stated, you'd also need to lose the doctors records as well. but guess with knowing the right people it could be done.

the $64,000 question is why? there is, AFAIK no reason you'd want to do this except for fraudulent reasons, your medial history is something you really need, if you destroy it then god forbid you need surgey and the data is not there.

come on, tell us (or email me) why you want to do this. my curiousity is now suitably piqued.

thinking of changing my name to 'norville rodgers' and having a nice clean identity.
Old 05 December 2001, 04:43 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Wink

Markus

Maybe you should go with Phil to have your eyes tested as well. He did say the reason why earlier.
Old 05 December 2001, 04:45 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

zoog - john banks - You easily put many things down to being a virus - I do understand the difficulties behind over prescription of unnecessary antibiotics and the problems cause by MRSA. However, I would respect those 'doddering fool' doctors much more if they could actually justify their answer. In the past three years I have had the 'Don't worry - its just a virus' excuse on a number of occasions. These include: my wife having a burst appendix and being rushed to hospital 6 hours later for emergency surgery. My wife having severe pre-eclampsia, and once again being rushed to hospital for an emergency section. Youngest child having difficulty breathing and ending up in hospital for a week after 5 visits to GP in three days. I can understand that viruses do cause a large number of illnesses which will simply disappear given time, but if you can explain which virus mimics the symtoms of pre-eclampsia and how at 36 weeks the possibility of pre-eclampsi can be entirely discounted then I will eat my PC.
Old 05 December 2001, 05:07 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Phil..

I used to be in the ATC aswell. So what if you were a sad *******.

I went flying in Sea Kings, Gliders, hercules, and to Cyprus for a week. Cost me nowt an all

..oh and shooting with SA80's

Andy
Old 05 December 2001, 05:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

huh? where did that voice come from I can't see anything

sorry, see what you mean, maybe I should re-read threads sometimes!

still, I like the idea of changing my name to norville rodgers
Old 05 December 2001, 05:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Fast Bloke - can see entirely where you are coming from. IMHO any pregnant woman that is being seen for any reason past TWENTY WEEKS should have a BP recorded.

I would love to have more patients like yourself in my surgery. Despite being mainly a social class I/II area, many are not interested in any of my explanations or want to debate anything and I do try hard. I am certainly not a perfect Doctor, and appendicitis can appear like many other things in the early stages, some of which are viruses. If folk would stop filling up my surgeries with trivia, I could spend more time on being thorough with those with serious symptoms. Either that or we fund the health service properly or all go private. But the present second rate system is ridiculous and horribly misused as well.

The day I practice like a doddering old fool and cannot give at least three good reasons for making any medical decision I retire.

Quick Reply: Medical Records