Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I think I may have lost my cat for good

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2007, 04:16 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I think I may have lost my cat for good

Had my cat for about 12 years, and almost without fail, she is never more than about 20-30 yards from my house

Whenever I come home from work, she is there without fail

Anyway she hasnt been around for the last 5 or 6 days, I last saw her when P1mark came to look at 'lost dog', she is a very timid cat, and when people come to the house she scarpers until they leave

In the past Ive found her laying as flat as she can inside my duvet, when my nephew and neice have come to visit (she was always scared of them )

She came back later to get her food etc, but I havent seen her since

Donna phoned the Cats Protection league and they had a report of a cat with a similar description to mine being knocked over on Monday, round the corner from my house, the woman who took the details isnt in work today and not back in until monday, but it sounds too much like 'Piphead' to not be her

So, I now have to wait until then, to probably confirm what is the inevitable and that it was 'Piphead' who got runover

ive walked the length of the road and back, and not seen a trace of any kind of animal that could have been runover, but the woman from the cats protection league said that some people when they find cats runover will take them home and bury them

Not quite sure how I feel at the moment, as there really isnt any kind of closure at least not until monday when the woman returns

This is 'Piphead'

Steve
Old 13 January 2007, 04:18 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aww Steve piphead is well cute i hope you find her safe and well
best wishes
Steph x
Old 13 January 2007, 04:35 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steph, although it is incredibly unlikely that it was another cat that was knocked down

after my house there are only 4 more houses then miles and miles of field, and although several of us have cats around here, mine is the only tabby cat with a yellow collar, and whiteish patches on her belly and under her chin
Old 13 January 2007, 04:41 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Not sure what to say mate, as it does sound quite likely

All the best
Old 13 January 2007, 04:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I hope your fears about Piphead are unfounded. I had a similar situation a few years ago when our family pet cat disappeared after having been with us for many years. Cats are loyal, friendly and above all incredibly intelligent pets. I hope Piphead turns up safe and well forthwith.
Old 13 January 2007, 04:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Bad luck mate, feel for ya!

I had FOUR cats in 3 years. Two were knocked over in a friggin' cul-de-sac, and two just disappeared. I gave up on cats and got a dog

Alcazar
Old 13 January 2007, 04:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I have had a cat go missing, but believe he was stolen, he was a huge black fluffy thing (Tyson ) Was just too friendly though to neibours etc, everyone used to feed and pet him, then one day gone

He was too much of a ***** to go near the road, and we backed onto a park so he had no way to even get there short term as lived in a long row of terrace houses.
Old 13 January 2007, 04:46 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed for you and Piphead.
Old 13 January 2007, 04:47 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

im alergic to cat fur but i like them
i have a dog i dont know what i would do without her i would miss her too much

be positive she might come back when she's finished hunting mice and stuff
Old 13 January 2007, 04:56 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

I'm gutted for you chap, I really hope thats not the case. You done a good deed with taking in the "lost dog", you don't deserve to loose your cat
Old 13 January 2007, 05:14 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Steve & Donna, I am so sorry
Poor little cat
Old 13 January 2007, 05:17 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Oh, no Sonic! I really hope it wasn't Piphead - she's a gorgeous looking cat.
Old 13 January 2007, 05:20 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Sorry to hear that, it's not been a good week for S,net pets
Old 13 January 2007, 05:22 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Today would have been our dogs birthday - the first since we lost him. Today is not a good day
Old 13 January 2007, 05:28 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Default BY the way, excellent picture

Old 13 January 2007, 05:30 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

It is - she obviously has seen somethig which she is waiting to pounce on
Old 13 January 2007, 05:52 PM
Kuohu
Scooby Regular

Aww very sad.
Old 13 January 2007, 05:58 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Its painfull when u loose any pet. Take Care.
Old 13 January 2007, 06:17 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

At least if she has been run over, you will know what has happened. Nothing worse than them just vanishing and leaving you forever wondering what happened.

Looks like she had a bit of a fight some time as there is a fair chunk of ear missing there!

So sad after 12 years for her to go that way though.
Old 13 January 2007, 06:21 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear that fella i hope its not the case though,

best wishes,
Old 13 January 2007, 06:37 PM
New_scooby_04

Fingers crossed mate!!

My GF had two black cats (brother and sister) from when they were both kittens. They were 18 months old when one day the female just didn't come home. Poor girl did EVERYTHING to try and find her: she was microchipped, had a collar, posters were put on cars, through letterboxes, in local fields, notes were placed in local papers, on the net. 3 months later...nothing. Very upsetting, especially for her brother. Unfortunately, cats do have a tendency to find a hideout when their time is up (if they've been badly injured or are just old) As a result, some are just not found by the owners. I hope the cat that's been run over isn't yours and it returns to you soon! Sometimes, they do just go on "walkabout".

If not, sleep easy knowing that she had a respectable innings, was obviously loved by you, lived her life as a proper cat (i.e. in the great outdoors) and died doing what cats love to do!

All the best.

Ns04
Old 13 January 2007, 06:37 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

i am a fellow cat owner and certainly wouldnt like to be in your situation. keeping my fingers crossed for you.

as much as my cat has wrecked my leather sofas i would be lost without the little furball.

very good picture you took there too.
Old 13 January 2007, 06:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

our first cat went out to play .... didn't see him for a few days...

neighbor found him asleep under her tree.... think he lost a fight with a car

our second cat went out mid last year and hasn't been been since...she came into the garden occasionally, but not near us. (she was always a bit feral) she,s inoculated and spayed, (so no issues there) but think shes gone for good now, haven't seen her for over 6 months....

cats dont you just love em

Mart
Old 13 January 2007, 07:06 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Steve,

She's a beautiful cat. Hope you are wrong and best wishes. "Chin up" !
Old 13 January 2007, 07:11 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Steve had another one as well as Piphead (the name still makes me chuckle) It was her brother, but he decided the food was better elsewhere and never bothered to come back, he has been spotted occasionally though

Piphead was a real softie and like Steve said, never far from the house. She was a very timid little thing too, purred at everything She has gone wondering off for a couple of days in a row before now, but always came back, never been away this long, and usually if you don't see her you hear her little bell on her collar somewhere and it had been really quiet. I thought I would gove her a chance to come back before calling anywhere but I wish I had called sooner now so that we may have at least had a chance to pick her up, treat her if she was injured, or bury her in the worst case

Will miss the little pip headed thing
Old 13 January 2007, 07:24 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
be positive she might come back when she's finished hunting mice and stuff
Awww how cute...

I'd like cats if they didnt go out killing wildlife - I dont understand how people can have a pet that does this - very selfish imo.

Either way sorry to hear of the loss sonic - I know how attached people can get to pets.
Old 13 January 2007, 07:26 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

The wildlife you refer to is usually field mice - vermin that are a nuicance to the farmer

I also have a snake which I feed pre-killed mice to, thata's probably selfish too

It is sad, he has had her from being a kitten for 12 years
Old 13 January 2007, 07:38 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments

Her ear, well she lost the tip of that cos she used to jump up on the window sill in my old house, and she used to press her head against the glass otherwise she would fall off , and then the winter came, and frostbite took part of the ear away, it fell off one day when the weather got warmer

Half the time she looked like she had twice as much fur as she needed, but I guess thats more a trait of a female cat

Yes she did kill mice, rabbits (she didnt like frogs tho) and the odd bird (one I rescued from her, and a few rabbits I managed to get off her too) my garage gets full of mice, thats what happens with miles of fields at the back of your house, so in some respects I was glad she was helping to 'keep the numbers down'

She used to love lying on the bonnet of the car (especially in this weather after me coming home from work) and sometimes she wouldnt even move off the car even with me reversing off onto the road

Like Donna said she did have a brother, and he slowly stopped coming back here, and my neighbours have said they still see him about (new home for him then LOL)

I found out today that my neighbour used to give her crab sticks, and tins of tuna no wonder she looked like she had ate a football at times

One thing she used to do that made me laugh, was she used to dip her paw in my unfinished coffee, and sit and lick her paws

Anyway here are a few more pics of her

This was the upstairs bedroom

Se loved Pizzas too

Steve

Last edited by *Sonic*; 13 January 2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 13 January 2007, 08:20 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

extremely sorry to hear that Steve.

Lost one of my cats in the summer (correction the cattery lost him) and have spent the last 6 months looking.

Here's what I did and recommend you do:

Print out a reward poster, and post them through peoples letter boxes, shop windows etc. People do read them and will phone you if they see a cat fitting the description. We still get people call 6 months on saying that they have seen Billy.

Phone all the local vets

Small add in the newspaper, depending on the paper this will be free, again people do phone.

and lastly, horrible to say but most cats are found deceased, phone up the local cleansing department of your local authority as if they find a cat they have to dispose of it, they will log the description, where found etc and will also check for a microchip.

Really do hope you find your cat.

Here's Bill doing what he did best..

Old 13 January 2007, 08:44 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Thanks Varboy

I tried the vets earlier but they had closed for the day

Almost everyone around here knows of the Cats Protection League, as it is only about a mile from mine

The woman on the phone said she wouldn't normally say that a cat had been reported runover etc, but for Donna giving them the description of mine and it being so similar and probably no less than 30-40 yards from my house

Every morning I use that road, and every morning I have looked, and havent seen any trace of any animal being runover

Someone reported it on Monday 8th, 'after' I would have used that road, I didnt use it again until tuesday morning

also a neighbour walks her dog (well carrys it) along that road, several times a day too, now everytime she comes past the house Piphead is usually on the bonnet of the car, and the other day she had a good look at and around the car when she went past

Im now starting to wonder if she saw a cat runover, and reported it (it is the kind of thing she would do) and the look around my car the other day, is likely to be her looking to see if it was my cat (again not unlike her to do this)

She will speak when she goes past, and usually tells you bits of gossip, or asks stuff (bit nosey) but she afaik will never knock and talk to you

Maybe worth nipping round there and asking her if she saw anything

Steve

Quick Reply: I think I may have lost my cat for good