Previous employer owes me money - Legal Advice PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2007, 08:21 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Previous employer owes me money - Legal Advice PLEASE

Hi,

Its a long shot I know, but if anyone has legal knowledge I would really appreciate some help! I'll keep it short.....

I believe that my previous employer owes me some money for pro-rated annual leave. They are presently having a 'senior management discussion' over it, and have done for the last 3 1/2 months!

Just not getting anywhere, so advice regarding how to proceed would be appreciated. If I push them they say that it takes time to come to a decision, and at the moment all is ammicable.... Is there a time limit to claim the money back I wonder...?

Amount in discussion is in the region of £600.

The company is a very large well known organisation.

Thanks very much!
Old 07 January 2007, 08:29 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I'm not a legal expert but.....

If it is a large organisation, I'd have thought it unlikely that it would take "senior management discussion" over six hundred quid - I'd have thought that the HR department would deal with it and get sign off from your previous line manager or someone similar.

I'd put something in writing stating that you will give them something like 28 days (or some other reasonable timescale) to come back with a decision, stating if a decision is not reached or the outcome is not to your satisfaction that you will be seeking legal advice with a view to taking matters furthe.

It's either that our you could threaten to sell secrets to their competitors....
Old 07 January 2007, 09:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

im going through legal proceedings currently with my employers, due to an accident at work in which they tried to blame me for, and to be honest its the best thing i could have done.

my works tried disciplining me for the said accident, but as soon as they recieved a snooty letter from said legal representitve, they tried "splitting liability" to which i said "nope", with me obvioucly going the whole hog so to speak.

3 1/2 months is a long time to make a decision over £600, especially if its a multi-million pound company like mine is. could it hurt to pop to a solicitors (many do the 30 min free consutlation thing?) like i did and see what your chances are. you may even push for a written apology too ... i notice theyre your previous employers, so unless you plan on going back sometime in the future, dont be forced into keeping it amicable. i tried that one and nearly lost my job for something that was simply not my fault, admitedly our circumstances being different to each others.

my tuppence anyway

andy
Old 07 January 2007, 09:26 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Tell them you'll give them seven days to give you an answer, and that if they don't give you an answer within that time you'll speak to ACAS and make an application to indutrial tribunal.

Taking an employers perspective (as I am), if I wasn't going to pay you I'd tell you immediately rather than waste my time (and yours) arsing about with it. I know for a fact a tribunal will cost me a damn site more that £600 to defend.

May be able to offer more advise if you offer more info though.
Old 07 January 2007, 09:41 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for your ideas and suggestions.

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Time to get firm I think!

Cheers!
Old 07 January 2007, 10:07 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

What decision needs to be made?

The policy on holiday pay on leaving is very clear for most companies - and most companies typically overpay rather than try and underpay to save any hassle.

If the money owing is disputed it could be tough.

If you are SURE the money is owed you can get them to pay it really quickly with a single solicitors letter. You need to be SURE the money is owed.

If you can establish that it is not in dispute then use a 'winding up order'.

A friend of mine did this when his partner left a very large pharma organistion. Some dispute over paying holiday pay was not resolved even though it was agreed the money was owed.

The solicitor sent a winding up order and the money was paid three hours later after months of no response.

It works against organisations of any size.

Rannoch
Old 07 January 2007, 10:34 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Signs like your ex company might have alot of paper pushers, and its not getting anywhere quickly...