Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody need a new drill?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2007, 01:02 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun drilling your two holes, because thats about all it will be good for

Just to buy any half decent NICAD cells to make the battery packs would cost a MF'r over 30 quid IMHO, go and figure the rest

You get what you pay for with stuff like that...
Old 06 January 2007, 01:17 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I wasn't being snotty...just pointing out that your 30 quid special is not the bargain it seems...

Your 30 quid would be better spent on a mains powered hammer drill from B&Q....a cheapie Bossch green or one of the B&Q own brand.
Old 06 January 2007, 01:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

If it comes with 2 batts, and meets your need,s then buy it.

dont let the "it must be xx brand to be any good" lot put you off

Mart
Old 06 January 2007, 01:33 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

In my opinion the batterys will drive you mad as they will probably take hours and hours to charge, Screwfix normally have something half decent for £70 either Bosch or Dewalt.

Take it back!
Old 06 January 2007, 01:36 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Yeah two batteries are handy, i have one and its a right pain!
Old 06 January 2007, 01:37 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

considering its already in your possesion, and it's only 26quid, it's probably not worth going back with it.

I hold my hands up, I can't think where else you would get a "cordless drill" for 26 quid, and if it only gets an airing once a year then fair do's. The batteries will be the problem, they will degrade very quickly to the point of being useless, and on the rare occasion you want to use it they will be flat as a fart, I doubt the 1 hr charge will happen, which kind of takes away the convenience.

I was saying that 30 quid would have been better spent on a cheapie mains powered drill...

If all you want is a leccy screwdriver, then you would not go wrong with this...ok, twice the price, but about 10 times better....I've had one for about 3-4 years, and its had some serious abuse.

eBay.co.uk: DEWALT DW926K26 9.6V DRILL/DRIVER 2 BATTERIES - NEW! (item 320046381922 end time 05-Feb-07 08:31:33 GMT)
Old 06 January 2007, 01:42 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

As chip says, what you pay for is the battery. the mAH (milli amp hours) is the key rating which manuafacturers never quote on cheap drills - as thats what dictates you being able to drill 2 holes or 200.

The drill itself is much of a much ness between makes. But you'll probably find that has 1200mAh Nicd cells. Which as well as being low in capacity by modern stanadards, suffers from memory effect if not discharged properly.

Put it this way, 10years ago you could get 1700mAh cells, but they cost a fotune

Fast forward to the present and you can now get 3000mAh cells and larger, That's almost three times the capacity per cell. And they will be Ni-Mh which do not suffer from the memory effect, thus keep their capacity.

Same rule with battery capacity applies to digital cameras too

Being honest, it dpends on how much you use it and what for...as a screwdriver upto m10 screws and drilling pilot holes in wood it once a week, it will suffice. However anything brick or metal you need bigger. If you only going to use it once a year - get a corded drill as a cordless be flat everytime you come to use it (self discharge)!

It is a case of you get what you pay for. If you fancy something better, go to Welcome to Lawson HIS, Hampshires leading tool and industrial consumable distributor based on Southampton on the Solent cheapest place I know for the more heavy duty stuff.

BTW Dewalt have a habit of screwing you with battery capacity too - especially on their cheaper models. Makita are more honest with providing battery capcity and they are better drills anyway.

Last edited by Shark Man; 06 January 2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06 January 2007, 02:20 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

As a note when I started out, I bought a £25 Nutool cordless, was fine for light stuff, I also had a £25 corded Black and Decker purcussion drill with variable speed and reverse for the heavy stuff, plus a huge £30 orange Nutool SDS drill for drilling bricks and pulverising concrete.

The cordless went back, the battery capacity was pants (24volt, 1200mAh, 5 hour charge, 2 packs, each good for an hour of use, leaving me 4 hours of thumb twiddling between uses ) so ended up usingthe corded drill most of the time, the variable speed broke on the cordless, so I had a good excuse to take it back for a refund
Old 06 January 2007, 02:26 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

A while back, a lad I used to work with rang me up saying a bloke had pulled onto his site selling Makita 18v drills for 25 quid,possibly hookie , so I told him to get me one.

when I got it, it was the cheapest pile of **** I have ever seen, but it was worth a flier for 25 quid. The batteries took 5 hrs to charge despite the 1 hr claim, it just had about enough bollocks to spin the .21 engine to start my RC car.

If you have used decent kit before, C&N offerings just offend

So I did the decent thing and flogged it to the apprentice at work for 40 quid.
Old 06 January 2007, 03:55 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Makita MXT 18V.

All the cordless you'll ever need.
Old 06 January 2007, 05:02 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
considering its already in your possesion, and it's only 26quid, it's probably not worth going back with it.

I hold my hands up, I can't think where else you would get a "cordless drill" for 26 quid, and if it only gets an airing once a year then fair do's. The batteries will be the problem, they will degrade very quickly to the point of being useless, and on the rare occasion you want to use it they will be flat as a fart, I doubt the 1 hr charge will happen, which kind of takes away the convenience.

I was saying that 30 quid would have been better spent on a cheapie mains powered drill...

If all you want is a leccy screwdriver, then you would not go wrong with this...ok, twice the price, but about 10 times better....I've had one for about 3-4 years, and its had some serious abuse.

eBay.co.uk: DEWALT DW926K26 9.6V DRILL/DRIVER 2 BATTERIES - NEW! (item 320046381922 end time 05-Feb-07 08:31:33 GMT)

I'm selling a 9V cordless (new) on EBay for £14. I did have 2 up for sale but I decided to use the other. Been pleasantly surprised by it, fine for drilling wood and better than my Black and Wrecker for driving in that it has a very slow and soft start. No idea how long it's likely to last. The B&D was only about £80 if I recall, bought a second battery for it and it's still going strong, being hammered every weekend for over 2 years.
Old 06 January 2007, 05:07 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Are Draper that cr4p then? I haven't opened it yet so can take it back if its that pants. I thought Draper made alright stuff but then i'm not a builder/diy'er.

I got it because I haven't got a drill and thought it was a bargain (actually got it for £26 with some discount) and thought there wouldn't be anything better for that sort of money. Don't want to spend more as the use it will get maybe once a year for actual drilling although being lazy it may get used a lot as an electric screwdriver.

So B&Q do better ones for the same money?

Don't take it back mate. It will be ok for odd jobs around the house, and as an added bonus you can do the robot with it!
Old 06 January 2007, 09:26 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I have a crappy one, few years old. Luckily it doesn't get used much; having to charge it generally puts the GF off hassling me to do much around the house!
Old 06 January 2007, 09:30 PM
mark engers
BANNED

Personally I'm looking forward to Moaning Minny's two page diatribe on here when it prematurely fails.
Old 07 January 2007, 01:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have got a cheapy one-cant remember the make but it is similar to that Draper one. They dont say it has a spare battery and that is well worth having believe me.

Mine has always worked pretty well, certainly no complaints anyway..

Stalkers are so mindless that they never seem to give up....so childish!

Les
Old 08 January 2007, 08:17 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Are Draper that cr4p then? I haven't opened it yet so can take it back if its that pants. I thought Draper made alright stuff but then i'm not a builder/diy'er.

I got it because I haven't got a drill and thought it was a bargain (actually got it for £26 with some discount) and thought there wouldn't be anything better for that sort of money. Don't want to spend more as the use it will get maybe once a year for actual drilling although being lazy it may get used a lot as an electric screwdriver.

So B&Q do better ones for the same money?

These are now half price down to £12.99 i saw them today in sainsburys, it will be worth taking it back for the money you will get back and then you can buy another one at the reduced price and send me my cut for telling you
Old 09 January 2007, 08:19 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
These are now half price down to £12.99 i saw them today in sainsburys, it will be worth taking it back for the money you will get back and then you can buy another one at the reduced price and send me my cut for telling you
these are 14v...

only good for 1 hole
Old 09 January 2007, 08:22 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Has it brok yet?
Old 09 January 2007, 11:22 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
these are 14v...

only good for 1 hole
Me too, these days

Old 09 January 2007, 11:39 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I was given a cordless drill for Christmas. Wasn't particularly impressed as I wanted a decent one, and its plainly a cheapy. Saw it in Focus the other day reduced from £30 to £15 so was even less impressed!

BUT have now used it, and it took an hour to charge as it said it would, and I have used it for putting up two external lights. It drilled two and a bit holes through the wooden frame (the bit hit the lintel!), has drilled 6 holes in the bricks for the screws to fix said lights and light switches, has screwed in all the screws including another 4 for the junction boxes and still has charge to spare.

So it is perfectly adequate for the modest jobs around the house, and I am more impressed than I thought I would be!
Old 09 January 2007, 11:39 AM
mark engers
BANNED

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Has it brok yet?
Oh we'll know all about it when it does, mark my words!