Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any firemen on here? Info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2007, 11:18 AM
donny_daz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any firemen on here? Info needed.

I im in the middle of the recruitment stage with only the fitness test and interview to go. Was wondering if anyone has recently been through this process and could give me some pointers.
Old 06 January 2007, 11:38 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

YHPM.
Old 06 January 2007, 11:44 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

You have PM
Old 06 January 2007, 11:53 AM
donny_daz
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the pm's. Its WEST YORKSHIRE by the way.
Old 06 January 2007, 11:58 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

dont forget to post some photos of you in your uniform
Old 06 January 2007, 12:15 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Never got selected but got through to the interview, 2000 applicants for 10 posts so i didnt do too bad to even get to interview stage.
anyway the physical consisted of -
1) bleep test 10.5 - not hard unless your unfit of course then its impossible
2)grip test - you had to pull on this thing to a certain standard which showed up on a guage again not hard either.
3) hose run - this was the hardest part in my opinion which involved running hose out then back in again in a certain time.still not too taxing though.
overall not as hard as i expected but you still have to have a certain level of fitness to achieve success in these tests.
then onto the next stage of tests -
1) ladder climb - straight forward just climb a ladder to a certain height and do a leg lock (they show you how to do this) and take your hands from the ladder.easy if your not afraid of heights - terrinfying if you are.
2)strength test - lift a certain amount of weight - not hard.
3) tunnel crawl - this was in full uniform including breathing apparatus - go down one manhole in pitch darkness and come out the other end where you will be asked a few simple questions like the day and date for example, gives you a good idea of how disorientated the breathing apparatus can make you.again it was straight forward enough but if you dont like tight spaces (very little room to manouver yourself in the tunnel) youll be petrified.
4) final test was another crawl this time through a series of tunnels, bends etc again with a breathing mask on that is totaly blacked out.this was quite tricky in my opinion lots of odd angles to work round etc but not too hard.

i wont say anything about the interview because i must have fcucked that bit up as im still nt a fireman yet
Old 06 January 2007, 08:29 PM
donny_daz
Scooby Regular

Its the interview im worried about. The phtsical tests have all changed now. No grip test or tunnel crawl or bleep test. Ive done it once already but it was only a mock on a open day.
Old 06 January 2007, 09:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donny_daz
I im in the middle of the recruitment stage with only the fitness test and interview to go. Was wondering if anyone has recently been through this process and could give me some pointers.
Practise unrolling a sleeping bag - this is important as you will spend most of your time sleeping.

Wiggle your Playstation thumb every morning for 30minutes - this is tested in the fitness test, you will be playing the Playstations more than playing a hose on a fire.

Climatise yourself to CAT Fur - you will be climbing trees to collect these often.

Learn about chip fires and smoke detectors - this is what the lonely housewives want to hear about when you visit for a fire assessment.

But, most important of all, make sure you have another job/business - you really need something to do with your time and this is it.

Get used to doing fooook all all day, and get ready for the once in a year that you actually have to do anything worth doing .............. then once every 10 years you may have to do something heroic - but don't count on it!
Old 06 January 2007, 09:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Practise unrolling a sleeping bag - this is important as you will spend most of your time sleeping.

Wiggle your Playstation thumb every morning for 30minutes - this is tested in the fitness test, you will be playing the Playstations more than playing a hose on a fire.

Climatise yourself to CAT Fur - you will be climbing trees to collect these often.

Learn about chip fires and smoke detectors - this is what the lonely housewives want to hear about when you visit for a fire assessment.

But, most important of all, make sure you have another job/business - you really need something to do with your time and this is it.

Get used to doing fooook all all day, and get ready for the once in a year that you actually have to do anything worth doing .............. then once every 10 years you may have to do something heroic - but don't count on it!
Old 06 January 2007, 09:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Old 06 January 2007, 09:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Old 06 January 2007, 09:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell what went wrong then???

It must be true to be copied so many times!!
Old 07 January 2007, 01:16 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

I think you was desperate for a reply Pete
Old 07 January 2007, 07:11 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Bloody hell what went wrong then???

It must be true to be copied so many times!!
You're nothing but a post *****. That's all.
C
Old 07 January 2007, 09:47 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Couldnt have put it better myself Except you missed the bit about striking all the time to moan about not getting paid enough to do all of the above
Sooo practise standing by lit bins having cars beeping at you and mistaking the beeping for support when in fact it's almost always not
Old 07 January 2007, 10:34 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Not any more Pete, it's just too dangerous.

A family's three-year-old pet has become the first victim of new fire service health and safety rules which mean they can no longer rescue cats from trees

A representative from the Cumbria fire service completed a risk assessment, but said that a rescue attempt would place officers at risk.

Chip
Old 07 January 2007, 11:54 AM
Mass.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Couldnt have put it better myself Except you missed the bit about striking all the time to moan about not getting paid enough to do all of the above
Sooo practise standing by lit bins having cars beeping at you and mistaking the beeping for support when in fact it's almost always not

PSLewis, Abdabz:HA HA HA ! You've not got any idea about what we do. Lets just hope yours houses don't catch alight, because who are you going to call?..........Oh yeah that would be the Fire Brigade wouldn't it?

So the fact that just my Station alone picks up nearly 3000 shouts a year doesn't count for anything?

Donny: Good luck, I'm not sure how the West Yorks guys work the recuiting but give 100% and you'll be joining the best job going mate

Last edited by Mass.; 07 January 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07 January 2007, 12:13 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Good old 'elf and safety. Watch out for the risk assessment for fires next and Firemen told not to tackle fires.
Old 07 January 2007, 12:18 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

try this : BECOME A FIREFIGHTER and ignore lewis he`s just jealous he made the wrong choices in life!
Old 07 January 2007, 12:35 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Good old 'elf and safety. Watch out for the risk assessment for fires next and Firemen told not to tackle fires.
You don't know how frighteningly close to the truth you are !
Old 07 January 2007, 12:54 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

i thought the alarms business you worked for was a good living daz. company van etc? or is it a change in career your after fella?

ive thought about it, but two things limit me indestrucibly...
  • im asthmatic
  • terrified of heights
bugger

good luck anyways rigadig... youll be able to sort your terzo out in no time...

andy