Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Saturday could be the day then ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2006, 03:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saturday could be the day then ?

Saddam 'to be executed on Saturday' - news.uk.msn.com

we shall see

Mart
Old 29 December 2006, 11:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

clocks ticking

3-3/4 hrs left to go

hope he feels some of the pain he caused others

mart
Old 29 December 2006, 11:22 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It's a shame we need to lower ourselves to his level to feel vindicated.

I have no sympathy for what he has done at all - but we are killing him because he has killed others. What does that make us?
Old 29 December 2006, 11:23 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch

I have no sympathy for what he has done at all - but we are killing him because he has killed others. What does that make us?
In my opinion, just.
Old 29 December 2006, 11:24 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

an eye for an eye ?
Old 29 December 2006, 11:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Upholders of the law.

Its not a shame, it's the ultimate deterrent. You kill people, and the state/country will end your life.

what could be easier? no costly jail & prison watches. An effective sentence carried out efficiently.

I have no sympathy for the guy, he wiped out a whole village in his pursuit to be a dictator. and now justice will be done

Mart
Old 29 December 2006, 11:29 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gstar
In my opinion, just.
I am completely with you. There are some crimes and behaviours that really make you question your own values and beliefs.

I am always swayed by someone who was executed in the States even though for the eighteen years of his time on death row his life had been dedicated to redemption and helping others turn away from violence.

In the end he his sentence was not commuted for as the Governor was under pressure for looking weak and so this was his act of strength on Crime and Justice. Another week, another election the condemned may still be alive today.
Old 29 December 2006, 11:29 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
an eye for an eye ?
...makes the whole world blind
Old 29 December 2006, 11:30 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

...makes the whole world blind
only for a second
Old 29 December 2006, 11:37 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Upholders of the law.

Its not a shame, it's the ultimate deterrent. You kill people, and the state/country will end your life.

what could be easier? no costly jail & prison watches. An effective sentence carried out efficiently.

I have no sympathy for the guy, he wiped out a whole village in his pursuit to be a dictator. and now justice will be done

Mart
His acts were despicable and terrible for anyone to commit. And so we act in the same way and call it justice.

I can only foresee more deaths coming from this as street violence will escalate.

In the wider view for a country to effectively put on trial for human rights transgressions then any justice must be squeaky clean, exemplary execution of international law and human rights.

Saddam's trial is not regarded as either of these by the law or human rights communities. Even the most Republican press in the US has condemned the proceedings and the US Government for it's part in the whole affair.

It may seem like a picky point for someone who committed such atrocities. But to kill a man after an unfair/unsafe trial puts us right on his level of 'Kangeroo Court' justice.

As I say - no good can come of this.
Old 30 December 2006, 12:19 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

His acts were despicable and terrible for anyone to commit. And so we act in the same way and call it justice.

I can only foresee more deaths coming from this as street violence will escalate.

In the wider view for a country to effectively put on trial for human rights transgressions then any justice must be squeaky clean, exemplary execution of international law and human rights.

Saddam's trial is not regarded as either of these by the law or human rights communities. Even the most Republican press in the US has condemned the proceedings and the US Government for it's part in the whole affair.

It may seem like a picky point for someone who committed such atrocities. But to kill a man after an unfair/unsafe trial puts us right on his level of 'Kangeroo Court' justice.

As I say - no good can come of this.
and what of the alternative? keep him alive? he would be in and out of the press every other day, fueling the issues of the area.

once he,s taken out of the equation perminantly, people soon forget and the media and focus moves on. Even when he does go, there will be hundreds of hopefulls, trying to fill his place.

You could interpret your statements as saying if Adolf went to Nuremberg, he would have been sentenced unfairly as it was a kangaroo court. Although thousands of Jews would have said otherwise

remember we backed off the first time, under the belief it would make him a martyr, all it did was fuel his megalomania.

if we dont do it this time, it turns the whole of the issues over there into a shambles, and we may as well wave the white flag.

Unfortunatly sometimes you have to make decisions that are not nice, or go against the grain. no one said war was a level playing field

Mart
Old 30 December 2006, 01:08 AM
stevebennett
Scooby Regular

We as a world are no going to gain anything from his death, the only people who are wanting him dead are the oppressed people in iraq.

The US have forced thorugh an unfair trial in a kangaroo iraqi court, to give a unsafe verdict. This verdict is in favour of th US agenda to get people in iraq behind the coalition troops and to aid a more peacful handover of power.

The trial should have been conducted in the hague, just as Miloscovich's trial was. that was going on for years not months. I do not believe justice has been done as there are still so many unansweredquestions and where the blame lies for other incidents in the kurdish region which i believe he should be alive for and also stand trial for those. and once all of these are finshed then he should be sentenced. not after his first trial to get the iraqis behind the coalition troops.
Old 30 December 2006, 07:21 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

He's dead now

Saddam Hussein executed for war crimes - Yahoo! News
Old 30 December 2006, 07:35 AM
plonk
Scooby Regular

3 .00 AM TODAY DONE AND DUSTED
Old 30 December 2006, 08:18 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Exclamation

Do you think he is innocent?!!

TX.

Last edited by Terminator X; 30 December 2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 30 December 2006, 09:13 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Do you think he is innocent?!!

TX.
Where does it suggest I think he is innocent?

As I clearly state there is no doubt that he has committed awful atrocities, or played a significant role in them.

What I am commenting on - which is a broadly held view in the legal and human rights communities - is that his trial was not legitimate. There is a huge amount of evidence to prove his guilt - however the trial was rushed and carried out to a timescale to suit the US political agenda for the region. Read any serious press in the US of all places and this is the consistent story.

He should have been tried in International court as suggested above even it is did take years.

We (and I mean we as we are part of the Allied Force in the region) needed to demonstrate exemplary justice. We fell far short of that and so extremists in the region have their martyr and their cause.
Old 30 December 2006, 09:38 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Well if you agree that he is guilty why prolong the event & the cost by advocating that it should take years!! He's guilty & got the sentance that he deserved. IMHO if a person commits murder then why not the death penalty? Murder is a cold blooded act & should be punished as such.

TX.
Old 30 December 2006, 09:59 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Well if you agree that he is guilty why prolong the event & the cost by advocating that it should take years!! He's guilty & got the sentance that he deserved.
If he has not had a fair trial then how do you really know? We sit on a pedestal telling the world how it should run it's affairs and a core part of the code of ethics is that everyone is innocent until proven guilty and everyone has the right to a fair trial. These are the most basic human rights that have been used to justify the whole Iraq affair. And then with the most prominent cause of the campaign we (the allies) deny that most basic of human rights.

IMHO if a person commits murder then why not the death penalty? Murder is a cold blooded act & should be punished as such.

TX.
I always feel that somehow two wrongs make a right

What gives you the right to take someones life no matter how atrocious the crimes?

Do you really think that despots like Hussein or Hitler would find the death sentence a deterrent? I, for one, don't think so as they believe they will never be put to trial.

Rannoch
Old 30 December 2006, 10:09 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I have mixed feeling with this one. On the one hand he has of course done wrong ordering the killings of no doubt a significant number of people, but there has obviously been a lot Western/US influence behind this action which is wrong.

Iraq is not a Western country - there's plenty of other countries out there that are run by dictators worse than Saddam. You dont have to go back that far in our history to find similar nasty actions carried out at the request of the country's leader(s).

Ultimately I think this symbolic killing will simply futher-fuel anti-US/Western feeling in the Middle East. Iraq looks close to civil war, and as soon as neighbouring countries step in it really could start to look like WW3.
Old 30 December 2006, 10:50 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
an eye for an eye ?
What happened to the biblical 'turning the other cheek'

Mind you I guess this approach wouldnt make very good US reality TV drama for the brain dead masses to consume!
Old 30 December 2006, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The whole point of the death penalty is to dissuade others from commiting genocide in the way that he certainly did.

An appropriate punishment for wrongdoing is essential otherwise it just gets worse. We don't have to look far in our own country to see what appeasement towards the criminally minded is doing for the rest of us.

Les
Old 30 December 2006, 12:39 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I see nowt wrong with murdering a murderer! The nutters you mention below are the extreme of the extreme hence I'd agree that the death penalty would not dissuade them (just desserts for them though when they are eventually caught) however the less extreme nutters will no doubt be put off by the prospect of their own demise ... the alternative of course is to keep them in jail for "life" with the prospective of easy living & getting out after 5 years to make matters worse I'm paying to keep them there if it's in the UK

TX.

I always feel that somehow two wrongs make a right

What gives you the right to take someones life no matter how atrocious the crimes?

Do you really think that despots like Hussein or Hitler would find the death sentence a deterrent? I, for one, don't think so as they believe they will never be put to trial.

Rannoch
Old 30 December 2006, 12:53 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The whole point of the death penalty is to dissuade others from commiting genocide in the way that he certainly did.
I don't see other dictators and would-be dictators changing their ways.
Old 30 December 2006, 01:05 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

At least Sadam won't be doing it again ...

TX.

Originally Posted by TopBanana
I don't see other dictators and would-be dictators changing their ways.
Old 30 December 2006, 01:17 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Hooray, good riddance, the bloke was pure evil, and Rannoch if you don't like it, go and talk to George Galloway about it, he loved Saddam as well.
Old 30 December 2006, 01:24 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Apparently the law under which he is being executed was passed by, wait for it, Saddam Hussein himself.

What goes around, comes around as they say!

Just reading some of his other crimes......

feeding his enemies feet first into shredding machines.
torture using acid baths.
fishing with dynamite as a child.
every day breakfast signalled by a prisoner being shot in the head after tasting his food to ensure it wasn't poisoned.
Disappearance of 180,000 Kurds.
Old 30 December 2006, 01:28 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I'm totally 100% with rannoch on this.

Les, an appropriate punishment for his actions, yes - but only after a fair trial.

Last edited by eClaire; 30 December 2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 30 December 2006, 01:39 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

In what way wasn't his trial fair?
Old 30 December 2006, 02:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I can't say whether his trial was fair or not eClaire. I do agree that it should be of course.

Les
Old 30 December 2006, 02:25 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Still waiting for the evidence on why his trial wasn't fair!

Quick Reply: Saturday could be the day then ?