Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

non standard number plates

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 03:46 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non standard number plates

i was pulled over yesterday by a very nice police officer whilst driving down the M5. the reason was that my number plate is incorrectly spaced. fortunately as it was so close to christmas he wasnt going to issue me with a ticket.

it is x11x xx instead of x11 xxx (not the actual reg)

the plates are in the standard uk font and are easily read. i can understand that some fonts make it difficult to instantly recognise the reg but

does anybody know WHY it has to be spaced in the set format?

cheers

colin
Old 28 December 2006, 03:55 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Yes, so its easily legible....the police are hotting up on non standard plates even more as ANPR needs the plates to be in the standard format to read them( I guess the spacing doesnt affect them too much but if there told to clamp down on them, they will target every sort of non standard plate)

Latest I heard was that a non standard plate will become a penalty point endorsable offence pretty soon...

However, if the plate "falls off" it wont be penalty point endorsable ...thats if your pulled anyway....who dares wins....
Old 28 December 2006, 04:05 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

i thought it may have been because of ANPR but there are several different types of standard formats around (not to mention foreign reg plates) i thought ANPR may have some flexibility in it.
Old 28 December 2006, 04:17 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dicky ticker
i thought it may have been because of ANPR but there are several different types of standard formats around (not to mention foreign reg plates) i thought ANPR may have some flexibility in it.
Theres no "different" types of standard, letters have to be a certain height and spacing and thats it, not that ive ever had a totally legal plate.

You was unlucky to be stopped driving on the m'way and lucky to get a telling off, fair copper I guess.
Old 28 December 2006, 04:40 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

Cool

[quote=brybusa]Theres no "different" types of standard,...

x1 xxx , x11 xxx, x111 xxx, xx11 xxx these are all different types of standard and thats before we include classic regs, armed forces regs, personalised regs, foreign regs etc.

[quote=brybusa]letters have to be a certain height and spacing and thats it...
[quote=dicky ticker]the plates are in the standard uk font and are easily read. i can understand that some fonts make it difficult to instantly recognise the reg.......

i just dont understand the spacing issue and wanted to know the answer for general interest reasons

[quote=brybusa]You was unlucky to be stopped driving on the m'way and lucky to get a telling off, fair copper I guess.
[quote=dicky ticker]i was pulled over yesterday by a very nice police officer.

he was a top bloke .pulling me just for my plate i was expecting one of thse stereotype hitlers that people complain about. i have nothing but admiration for the thankless job they do

Last edited by dicky ticker; 28 December 2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 28 December 2006, 08:52 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Now you just need to master putting [/quote] at the end of the quote
Old 28 December 2006, 08:59 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

one step at a time

its taken years to get smilies

itll be one of my new year resolutions to find out how to get the quote boxes in a reply
Old 30 December 2006, 07:26 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

From the site quoted by Dave:-

With the number of vehicles constantly increasing, the prefix system soon exhausted the combinations available, and yet another number plate format was required. In September 2001 the current style of UK vehicle registration plates was introduced.
And I thought that it was coming to the end of the alphabet that meant that we needed a new system of registration numbers. How stupid I was! It was the number of vehicles that caused it.....
Old 30 December 2006, 08:17 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dicky ticker
i was pulled over yesterday by a very nice police officer whilst driving down the M5. the reason was that my number plate is incorrectly spaced. fortunately as it was so close to christmas he wasnt going to issue me with a ticket.

it is x11x xx instead of x11 xxx (not the actual reg)

the plates are in the standard uk font and are easily read. i can understand that some fonts make it difficult to instantly recognise the reg but

does anybody know WHY it has to be spaced in the set format?

cheers

colin
i got a huge fine a while ago for not having a space after the '1'.

its for the cameras to detect apparently, but ive had tickets and stuff so i know its not for that reason

this was how my front looked

and the back looked like this

as you can see i didnt change anything

they are legal now
Old 30 December 2006, 08:34 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

Ours are legal font and spaced correctly, not been pulled for the borders.............yet.

Old 30 December 2006, 08:40 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

mine is legal now, just doesnt feel the same

how did you get both of your plates?
Old 30 December 2006, 08:45 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

Originally Posted by sarasquares

how did you get both of your plates?

What do you mean? How? We bought them from DVLA and ordered the plates from Fancyplates
Old 30 December 2006, 08:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Mine says Y*** YVV, I got pulled the other day cos of my plate, mainly as it was correctly spaced but travelling at 120 mph attached to a nondescript low flying Swedish repmobile, minor talking to but no action as they didnt have the camera on when I went past and I suspect they were looking for 90 mph walking wounded.
Old 30 December 2006, 10:20 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Why do people feel the need for non-standard number plates? I just don't get it. They are so tacky as well as being illegal. It just says to me that you can't afford a proper private plate.
Fine them all I say.
Old 30 December 2006, 10:23 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amazinggrace
What do you mean? How? We bought them from DVLA and ordered the plates from Fancyplates
i meant that they are so similar, did you get them at the same time or hunt around for them?
Old 31 December 2006, 12:36 AM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa
Yes, so its easily legible....the police are hotting up on non standard plates even more as ANPR needs the plates to be in the standard format to read them
Not so. Let me explain.

Next door neighbour is traffic police

Pops home often for his doughnuts so his cop car is fitted with ANPR and can read both my number plates. The rear one is legal, the front one is.. well.. ermmm.... let's just say it contain's a single number made to look like a letter and is very dodgy.... but ANPR picks it up all the time.
Old 31 December 2006, 12:41 AM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

i got a huge fine a while ago for not having a space after the '1'.
How's £30 a hugh fine
Old 31 December 2006, 12:51 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

It always puzzles me why people mess about with numberplates to 'TRY' and get it to read something that it clearly doesn't!!

Just buy the proper plate .... if its too expensive, then tough!
Old 31 December 2006, 01:00 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It always puzzles me why people mess about with numberplates to 'TRY' and get it to read something that it clearly doesn't!!

Just buy the proper plate .... if its too expensive, then tough!
old people aren't normally up this late..?!
Old 31 December 2006, 09:51 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smiler
How's £30 a hugh fine
try nearly £400
Old 31 December 2006, 09:58 AM
Manda_po
BANNED

How come Sara, shouldn't you have just got a vehicle defect rectification form?
Old 31 December 2006, 09:58 AM
Manda_po
BANNED

Or like Smiler says, a small fine.
Old 31 December 2006, 10:08 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Manda_po
How come Sara, shouldn't you have just got a vehicle defect rectification form?
hi Manda

over the years i have had the odd ticket for my plate but i never changed the plate back, just paid the tickets. then summer before last i got followed into a retail park by a local cop who had stopped me before and got a ticket. nearly 6 months later i found out i had to go to court. while the trial was on the cop asked the court to confiscate my reg but the court told him that they couldnt do it as he should have applied to DVLA. i have had plenty of chances over the years to put the plate right but i didnt, i have learnt my lesson now
Old 31 December 2006, 10:09 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Manda_po
Or like Smiler says, a small fine.
i was shocked at the size of the fine as the magistrate himself couldnt see what the cop was so bothered about. i forgot to pay it as my mum was ill and had to pay the whole lot in one go just before xmas
Old 31 December 2006, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I suppose the whole point is that the way the number plate is required to be spaced etc. by law is to make is easily legible to the police as a standard format. If therefore you use a different size or spacing then you will be picked up for it and it will cost a fine. Even if it appears perfectly legible to you because you understand your own number, it could be confusing to someone else and it is it is illegal if it does not conform.

Les
Old 31 December 2006, 11:48 AM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

i meant that they are so similar, did you get them at the same time or hunt around for them?
Mark bought me D20 UST as a wedding prezzie, I am Mrs DOUST. I bought him D20 VST before xmas just because it was similar. We won't mess with the V to turn it into a U tho
Old 31 December 2006, 12:05 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Should be three strikes and you're out. 2 warnings with £30 fines for illegally spaced / bordered plates. Get caught a third time and the car should be crushed.
It's one of those little things that gets reet on my t1ts along with non essential foglight useage, just sad spods who think its proper clever just tiptoeing over the legal line... It is very very gay indeed...
Old 31 December 2006, 12:06 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Should be three strikes and you're out. 2 warnings with £30 fines for illegally spaced / bordered plates. Get caught a third time and the car should be crushed.
It's one of those little things that gets reet on my t1ts along with non essential foglight useage, just sad spods who think its proper clever just tiptoeing over the legal line... It is very very gay indeed...
now i am a legal plate holder i quite agree with you
Old 31 December 2006, 12:08 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by Leslie
I suppose the whole point is that the way the number plate is required to be spaced etc. by law is to make is easily legible to the police as a standard format. If therefore you use a different size or spacing then you will be picked up for it and it will cost a fine. Even if it appears perfectly legible to you because you understand your own number, it could be confusing to someone else and it is it is illegal if it does not conform.

Les
Exactly, it's for public recognition too. If you are speeding, are in accident and the other car drives off, or your car is stolen, or you are parked in car park known for *******, you/the public may need to call the police to report such events. If your plate has poncey screws to "adapt" letters in it, or is illegally spaced, or has some spakky border then Joe Public may misread it...

Quick Reply: non standard number plates