Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

is it worth me getting this xbox 360 off me bro in law?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 02:48 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it worth me getting this xbox 360 off me bro in law?

hes had it over a year and its buggered up, doesnt read discs properly so he says?

anyway he went and bought a basic one and nicked the hard drive so its a faulty 360 with no hd i can have it for free but is it worth buying a drive cheap from somewere and repairing?
Old 28 December 2006, 03:22 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
hes had it over a year and its buggered up, doesnt read discs properly so he says?

anyway he went and bought a basic one and nicked the hard drive so its a faulty 360 with no hd i can have it for free but is it worth buying a drive cheap from somewere and repairing?
If it's free, I'd certainly have it from him. Might even be worth giving MS a call and 'forgetting' that it's over a year old. All they can say is "sorry - we can't help you". And you never know - they might honour the warranty anyway. You could always say that it was a Christmas present so although it's technically been over a year since purchase, it's barely a year old and - more importantly - when you bought it, you had kind of expected that your £280 console would last more than 12 months...

Mine broke on Sunday 17th Dec this year (I bought it on Sunday 10th Jan 2006 so it had two weeks inside the warranty period left) and they picked it up on the 18th, received it on the 19th, and shipped it back to me on the 21st for delivery on the 22nd Dec! Not bad service for the time of year!
Old 28 December 2006, 04:04 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

eBay.co.uk: REPLACEMENT HITATCHI XBOX 360 DRIVES - FOR FAULTY XBOX (item 180068243492 end time 06-Jan-07 21:47:34 GMT)
Old 29 December 2006, 09:35 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

so is that a replacement cd drive or hard drive?

just called him again and said yes ill have it, he said hes keeping the wireless controller but ot a normal one for it i can have

is it likely to be a faulty cd reading drive?
is ebay best place for the hard drive too?

gonna sell my xbox1 to pay for the bits to repair it
Old 30 December 2006, 11:08 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

any more advice on were to buy a hd and cd drive from cheaply?

deffo gonna get the wife to call microsoft and try it on anyon got the number
Old 30 December 2006, 12:29 PM
hojkoff
Scooby Regular

If the warranty doesn't pull through don't rush into buying a new cd drive to soon.

A similar problem happened to me with my Playstation 2 about a year ago. I phoned Sony and they wanted £100 to replace it as it was out of warranty.

Instead of paying up I opened the thing up, took the lid of the cd reader to expose the laser got me a cotton bud dipped the end in Gin (stay with me here) and cleaned the laser with it. Bolted the thing back together and I've never had a problem since.

We tried the same thing on my mates with alcohol cleaner and it didn't work for some reason. Did it with Gin and everything worked again! See! Gin does solve everyone’s problems!

I would recommend you try and do something similar before you go shelling out on new bits. Your going to have to take the thing to bits anyway if you brake the laser even more it's no problem as it wasn't even working in the 1st place.

I would whole heartedly say to you to give it a bash. You may even have your new free 360 working in under an hour!
Old 30 December 2006, 01:19 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

yea ill have a go like you say nothing to loose if mr bill gates tells me to go **** myself lol
Old 30 December 2006, 04:51 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

erm right ok.......

i got the xbox off him, he kindly packaged it all up in the box from the core system he just bought all nice and neat

he must of even used all his old cables etc as all the power packs were sealed lol

anyway i plug the thing in switch it on and it comes up as usual, i have no 360 games so i put a dvd in and it worked fine? hmmmnnnn i thought

so i got halo2 from my xbox1 and put that in, a pop up thing came up and said i needed a hard drive to play original xbox games

so what do i do now as i cant find a fault with it? is deffo his old one as dusty and as i say he bought a new core pack and took the hard drive out the old once hence i now basicly have a boxed core pack

only think i can say is what i think may be the fan inside sounded a little noisey but no more than say a pc fan it seemed to quieten down after a few mins
Old 30 December 2006, 05:57 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

XBOX 360s are always quite noisy when playing games. Being in the "dashboard" rather than in a game should see the drive slow right down and the noise of the console drop dramatically - as I believe you have noticed.

I would suggest trying to borrow a game from your brother in law, or maybe rent one from the local video/game rent place. That way you're only shelling out a few quid. I'd recommend Gears of War or Test Drive Unlimited!

Also - might be worth asking your brother in law what specifically the problem is that caused him to replace it. Sounds like you might have a perfectly good, free XBOX 360 but you should try to do some fault-finding ASAP - I'd be looking to call XBOX support tomorrow morning if it's not working.

0800 587 1102 - 9:00 till 17:00 tomorrow.

You'll need your Brother in Law's details such as address and phone number in order to get assistance. Best to pretend you're him otherwise you'll throw them off their script! If they DO agree to take a look at it, you can have it collected from anywhere you like but it will automatically be redelivered to the registered address (your brother in law's)

Cheers!
Old 30 December 2006, 06:04 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

it does seem to be working fine, i think in all fairness he may of encountered a overheating problem? i know hes on the thing constantly so im imagining the inside is dusty as hell so want to clean the inside out, i can either take it to work and blow it out with a airline or take it apart

all he said to me was got a fault with a game on screen saying laser problem unable to read or somin like that, without sounding dissrespectfull to my brother in law hes somewhat not the brightest chap in the world, when it done that he just jumped int he car went to town and bought another as couldnt face not playing his game machine lol
Old 30 December 2006, 06:27 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apples24
he just jumped int he car went to town and bought another as couldnt face not playing his game machine lol
LOL. Don't knock it - you got a free XBOX as a result of his impatience!

I'd suggest giving it a clean out with an airline, but - obviously - be careful: I have visions of little chips and circuits being blasted off circuit boards and then it's DEFINITELY game over.

Keep it somewhere where it's not too enclosed or hot and maybe start off by only having it on for a couple of hours at a time to see how it fares. They certainly do chuck out a load of heat. My 360 is in a room with one of my nano fish tanks and when the 360 is on for a few hours, the temperature of the tank water rises by 2 degrees celcius! :O
Old 30 December 2006, 08:54 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Definately sounds like a bit of an overheating issue, which isn't that uncommon on a 360.

After several hours of use on my 360 I sometimes get the game freezing with a message saying that the disc is not readable "remove the disc and clean it' even with new games. I just restart the machine and it all works fine again. I use mine in a cabinet and even with the door open their is alot of heat build up in there.

You can get an 'Intercooler' unit that clips on the back of the 360 and provides additional cooling ......... think I may look at getting one. My local games shop uses one on the demo machine in the shop as its on for 9 hours + every day.
Old 31 December 2006, 09:35 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

aparantly theres a good boxing game for the 360? i remembr my mates raving about it int he puba few weeks back saying you could even see the face ripple when they pucnhed the other bloke etc they said graphics are amazing, ive never actually seena 360 working so are they that good then?
Old 31 December 2006, 11:32 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

dude, get your bro's receipt for his new xbox, box it up and take the old xbox back for a refund/exchange unit
Old 31 December 2006, 12:15 PM
King RA
BANNED

Fight Night. The core system doesn't have a HD, so you may need to get one to play orignal games, I can't remember.
Old 31 December 2006, 01:43 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

so i can play normal 360 games wothout a hard drive? might pop up to blockbusters tomorro then
Old 31 December 2006, 01:48 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

To play old xbox games the 360 needs to DL the support for Halo etc from live for ot to work - but without a HDD you'll need a memory unit or you'll be starting from scratch everytime you play.

POC might ne onto something - but all 360's have a unique ID code which you need to give to MS when you phone for a repair. If its gone fubar before then they'll have it on record.

Ring MS and tell them, they might ask you if its been registered (ask your bro in law) if not then you're in luck, cos they wont have any details of when the console was bought - so you can just say february or whaever and it'll be inside the 12 months...

PS blockbuster rent games if want to try one on it.
Old 31 December 2006, 02:16 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i serously doubt he sent off the little warrentee card when he bought it

to be fair it seems to be working ok watched a 2 hr film on it
Old 31 December 2006, 08:09 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
Fight Night. The core system doesn't have a HD, so you may need to get one to play orignal games, I can't remember.
Both of King RA's statements are completely correct but I'm not sure if I've read this right so apologies RA if I have!

The boxing game is "Fight Night Round 3" and is a 360-specific game. As such you won't need the HD to play it.

Like I said - RA, if you were answering two questions, my mistake!
Old 02 January 2007, 07:15 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by mad_dr
Both of King RA's statements are completely correct but I'm not sure if I've read this right so apologies RA if I have!

The boxing game is "Fight Night Round 3" and is a 360-specific game. As such you won't need the HD to play it.

Like I said - RA, if you were answering two questions, my mistake!
No probs
Old 03 January 2007, 09:56 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr
The boxing game is "Fight Night Round 3" and is a 360-specific game.
It is and it's available on a few consoles, but the most realisitc of the lot is the 360 version