Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UFC 66 - Cro Cop to fight

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 09:35 AM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UFC 66 - Cro Cop to fight

Just read that “Cro Cop” will be fighting in UFC 66, great news, not long till he disposes of tedium Tim Sylvia and makes the division interesting again.
Old 28 December 2006, 10:08 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Huh?
Old 28 December 2006, 10:12 AM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Huh?
I thought with Scoobynet being full of cage fighters ( ) there would be some interest.

"Cro Cop" to Fight in UFC
Old 28 December 2006, 10:12 AM
richiewong
Twatful

UFC 66: Liddell vs Ortiz 2

And Michael Bisping is on the cards to fight as well.
Old 28 December 2006, 10:27 AM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
Just read that “Cro Cop” will be fighting in UFC 66, great news, not long till he disposes of tedium Tim Sylvia and makes the division interesting again.

Did you pick up that the Huntingdon Beach BadBoy is fighting the Ice Man ?

Ortiz all the way
Old 28 December 2006, 11:02 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Bat
I thought with Scoobynet being full of cage fighters ( ) there would be some interest.

"Cro Cop" to Fight in UFC
errrrr WTF is cage fighting?
Old 28 December 2006, 11:13 AM
seven x
Scooby Regular

Any idea when this is on? Bravo?
Old 28 December 2006, 11:15 AM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Newyears day

Chuck all the way!!!
Old 28 December 2006, 12:38 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

LMAO CroCop Vs Eddie Sanchez, not gonna be a long fight then.
Old 28 December 2006, 12:44 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Its at 9PM on the 1st, but I dont imaine Cro Cop will actually be fighting? more an announcement style thing id guess.

Be wicked if he was, but he's always been a Pride fighter, they would have made a massive mistake if they've lost him to UFC, plus he'll need some time to train as the rules are slightly different.

Bottom line is if he goes to UFC they're onto a winner, he'll tear the heavyweight division apart. Arlovski has been going on about his comeback fight at UFC66, guess we'll see if he's back to his winning ways, could be an interesting matchup if those two meet.
Old 28 December 2006, 01:04 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Its at 9PM on the 1st, but I dont imaine Cro Cop will actually be fighting? more an announcement style thing id guess.

Be wicked if he was, but he's always been a Pride fighter, they would have made a massive mistake if they've lost him to UFC, plus he'll need some time to train as the rules are slightly different.

Bottom line is if he goes to UFC they're onto a winner, he'll tear the heavyweight division apart. Arlovski has been going on about his comeback fight at UFC66, guess we'll see if he's back to his winning ways, could be an interesting matchup if those two meet.
Wouldn't have thought Cro Cop's left Pride, he was always floating between Pride & K-1 before. Be the same crossover as Wanderlai Silva fighting in UFC, thought that would have happened by now but he did take a hell of a beating against Cro Cop.
Old 28 December 2006, 01:34 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JayPSC
he was always floating between Pride & K-1 .

Much like Genki SUdo, now that guy rocks
Old 28 December 2006, 02:54 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

gosh
didnt see that coming
i sell mma fight careers on dvd btw
Old 28 December 2006, 03:02 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

the absolute best mma fighter in my book is igor vovchanchyn
but sylvias days are numbered if mirko joins ufc
Old 02 January 2007, 06:53 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

What a fantastic fight by Bisping :

Has massive potential, really hope he makes it in the UFC (think he will)

Only watched Bisping and Ortiz Vs Liddell so no spoilers please Not a classic, but good sportmanship by Ortiz at the end. Liddell is an awesome fighter who'll take some stopping on current form.

UFC 67 - Serra Vs St Pierre

Edited to say : bollox, just read St Pierre match is off due to injury

Last edited by Terzo 333; 02 January 2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02 January 2007, 09:12 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayPSC
Wouldn't have thought Cro Cop's left Pride, he was always floating between Pride & K-1 before. Be the same crossover as Wanderlai Silva fighting in UFC, thought that would have happened by now but he did take a hell of a beating against Cro Cop.
Isn't Wanderlei fighting Liddell in February?
Old 02 January 2007, 11:38 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
What a fantastic fight by Bisping :

Has massive potential, really hope he makes it in the UFC (think he will)
I agree, the guy has great potential, but he made loads of rookie mistakes that a veteran light heavyweight like Ortiz or Liddell would jump on and annihilate him in seconds. Lots to learn
Old 03 January 2007, 09:53 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

I feel for Oritz, as a traditional MMA fighter he is very good, but when he goes against Liddell all his skills seem to fall away.

He followed almost exactly the same routine as he did last time he lost to him, I think he should have been trying to close Liddell down by grappling against the cage, anything to avoid standing toe to toe with him.

I think someone with good boxing skills is needed to take out Liddell, someone who can move out of the way of the barage and return fire and who isnt concentrating on a take down oppurtunity. There is talk of CroCop making 205 pounds as opposed to going into UFC as a heavyweight. If that was true, I think Liddell would have a serious competitor on his hands.

Actually, Keith Jardine would be a good competitor for Liddell, more along the same lines, and Bisping did superbly, but as mentioned his lack of experience really shows, a few more fights and he'd make a good opponent too.

That was the best UFC ive seen, all the fights but one were excellent, and although Arlovski didnt look his best, at least he's on the way back.
Old 03 January 2007, 11:32 AM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

Don't forget as well as Cro Cop, Rampage Jackson is also fighting for UFC now - beat Liddell at Pride in 2003. It will be interesting to see if Liddell can avenge that loss!

Should be an interesting 2007
Old 03 January 2007, 03:24 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
I feel for Oritz, as a traditional MMA fighter he is very good, but when he goes against Liddell all his skills seem to fall away.

He followed almost exactly the same routine as he did last time he lost to him, I think he should have been trying to close Liddell down by grappling against the cage, anything to avoid standing toe to toe with him.

I think someone with good boxing skills is needed to take out Liddell, someone who can move out of the way of the barage and return fire and who isnt concentrating on a take down oppurtunity. There is talk of CroCop making 205 pounds as opposed to going into UFC as a heavyweight. If that was true, I think Liddell would have a serious competitor on his hands.

Actually, Keith Jardine would be a good competitor for Liddell, more along the same lines, and Bisping did superbly, but as mentioned his lack of experience really shows, a few more fights and he'd make a good opponent too.

That was the best UFC ive seen, all the fights but one were excellent, and although Arlovski didnt look his best, at least he's on the way back.
I too felt sorry for Ortiz

I believe he has the talent to beat Liddell, it just seems that when it comes to the crunch, he can't deliver...

...I suppose thats what seperates the truly great sportsmen to the "second placers".
Old 03 January 2007, 03:29 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

I too felt sorry for Ortiz

I believe he has the talent to beat Liddell, it just seems that when it comes to the crunch, he can't deliver...

...I suppose thats what seperates the truly great sportsmen to the "second placers".
i also thought ortiz would have had the best of liddell, but both very talented fighters, it was fun watching ortiz beat shamrock for the 3rd time and shamrocks last fight
Old 03 January 2007, 04:44 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

UFC seems to go through stages were a particular fighting style dominates. As little as a year ago the guys that tend to take it to the ground seemed to dominate, like Matt Hughes, the people with strong wrestling backgrounds did well.

Around that time, people wrote off the guys who could only stand and punch and said you had to be able to punch a little and grapple a lot. Now its gone back to being a stand up fighters sport, and the guys that are superb grapplers suddenly seem to be out of ideas.

Back then, the guys who always stood and fought werent very good when they got taken to the ground, but over time take down defenses improved, overtaking the abilities of the person doing the taking down, so suddenly the guys who can punch are dominating.

I recon the take down artists will develope ways of taking the fight to the ground again, and the sluggers will struggle again, but I think it'll be a while. I prefer stand up fights, as do a lot of fans, so I suppose UFC is also encouraging stand up fighting rather than the more technical bouts that a lot of people find boring.

I was dissapointed with Ortiz, I would have thought part of his training would have involved watching their last fight and identifying where he went wrong, and then NOT doing the same thing again. I really felt the way Chuck came forward Ortiz should have tried to grapple a bit and take him down like that.
I got the feeling he was overwhelmed by the whole event, he seemed tired really quickly, kicks were very slow, just didnt have any real fire in him, I think he lost the fight before he got in the ring.

If he learns from the defeat and starts trying to develope techniques to overcome the stand up guys he could lead the way back into the grappling style, although Matt Hughes will probably come back with some new ideas too.

Its a pretty good time for UFC, they have some depth of talent which has been missing until recently.

One thing about Forrest though, he is looking a real mess, that guy will end up being the first casuallty in UFC if he's not careful, he can take such a beating to the head and keep going it makes him a danger to himself.
When they interviewed him even before that fight his talking was pretty mashed up, his jaw looks like its been broken recently too, he just doesnt seem well Maybe he should stop soon (as good as he can be), either that or learn to ge knocked out when smashed in the head a hundred times.
Old 03 January 2007, 06:04 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

SideShowBob - good / interesting post.

Its nice to know there are fellow MMA fans out there
Old 03 January 2007, 06:11 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Interesting stuff - Does any of this happen in the UK?

I was briefly 4th in the UK middleweight kickboxing but this looks a lot more hardcore!
Old 03 January 2007, 07:45 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the uk they have Cage Rage.
UFC is from the USA and PrideFC (PRIDE :: Official Website) is from Japan.A British guy called James Thompson fights in Pride nickname 'The Colossus' or 'megapunk'
Old 03 January 2007, 09:41 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I don't know anything about this but my bro i law has just been to Vegas over New Year to watch some big UFC fight and stayed in the same hotel as alot of the fighters and got to meet them.
Old 03 January 2007, 10:05 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

Any of you fellow MMA fans seen The Smashing Machine? I rented it recently and its really good - it follows Mark Kerr as he prepares for some fights and shows you a different side to the sport. Well worth a rent if you can find it.
Old 03 January 2007, 10:49 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

UFC 67 - Serra Vs St Pierre
Serra just bores me and I cant see him doing anything against GSP.

Simon
Old 03 January 2007, 10:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Just watched UFC 66 off the Sky + box. Was pretty entertaining. Arlovski still lacks the confidence and speed he had. I think he was pretty lucky with the restart as the other bloke didnt seem too prepared and took a heavy punch rather quick that pretty much finished it.

Tito didnt do much at all - he was lucky it lasted past the 1st rd. Ive seen many fights stopped for less punishment than he took from Chuck.

Chuck is really the only long term champ left after Hughes and Franklin got beat last time around.

Either way nice to see some stand up fights rather than boring ground and pound.

Simon
Old 03 January 2007, 11:00 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic

Either way nice to see some stand up fights rather than boring ground and pound.

Simon
Agree. Early on in ufc/limited rules mma competitions the grapplers/submission experts dominated the scene (Royce Gracie, Shamrock, Severn etc) Didn't last long as everyone caught on and it wasn't long before standup fighters were becoming formidable jiu-jitsu technicians. However it now seems to have gone back to stand-up as graplers are cancelling each other out. Being well rounded is more important now more than ever, Chuck's ability to strike and stop from being taken down and pounded was always going to give Tito a big problem. Personally I'm glad he got is arsed kicked, never liked his attitude much. Even better was the beating Frank Shamrock gave out...pure class.

Quick Reply: UFC 66 - Cro Cop to fight