Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SAXO VTS/VTR

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2001, 03:48 PM
Ellis4779
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm think of purchasing one of the above cars.. With the free insurance they seem a bargain..

Has anyone had any ownership experiences??

Cheers,

Pete
Old 29 November 2001, 03:53 PM
ScoobyLoobyLou
Scooby Regular

P,

We have a VTR and I just love it, it is so much fun to drive. I would def recomment buying although I would say be careful with the free insurance. Someone I know bought a Pug with free insurance and had to make a claim and they were quoting her £400 excess for a ding on her wing! Be careful!

L
Old 29 November 2001, 03:59 PM
ScoobyLoobyLou
Scooby Regular

Although I love to drive the VTR, I would much drive the Scoob!! Thought I should add that!
Old 29 November 2001, 04:02 PM
Ellis4779
Scooby Regular

I love my scoob to bit's but it's just too expensive to run..

Pete
Old 29 November 2001, 04:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I had a VTS for about a year, it was my first 'performance' car and I loved it. still miss it today, even though I now have the blackbeast.

Dealer was literally 5 mins away from me, and they were very good, apart from one problem when it came to sort stuff out under warranty, but that was because they thought the warranty had run out when it had not, once this was pointed out, no probs.

very pleased with it.

pretty quick too.

only problem I had with it was it was a bit small, especially in the back, I had a corsa before it and this had way, way more room in the back.

apart from that little niggle, which did not really bother me as I never sat in the back, it was great, and I am serious when I say I miss it.

it was also the first car that i got to sell, rather than write off and I got a good price for it as well.
Old 29 November 2001, 04:21 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

I notice VTRs are much more common than the VTS which is what i would have gone for but is there a reason more plump for the less pokey vtr?
Old 29 November 2001, 04:24 PM
nutter
Scooby Regular

ellis
are u selling ur scooby?
Old 29 November 2001, 04:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

zoog,
VTR is cheaper on insurance, plus when i got mine they were doing years free insuance, but fine print said "not VTS" plus the phase I VTR looked nigh on the same as the VTS, so unless you saw the badges or the rear headrests, then you could not really tell if it was VTR or VTS.
Old 29 November 2001, 04:45 PM
Ellis4779
Scooby Regular

indeed i am nutter..

Do u know anyone?

Pete
Old 29 November 2001, 04:49 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Wink

Once test drove a VTS.

Plus points ...

Good handling and suspension set-up
Great sounding engine
Modification possibilities
Low running costs
Jeremy Clarkson approved (probably not a plus point ;-) )

Bad points ...

C*rp interior with a plastic feel (on the T reg one I drove)
Hard(ish) ride
Nosiy when up at speed
General feeling of being 'not a solid car'
Small boot.

All in all I loved it, and would of bought one ... however I grew up a bit and was able to buy a 'Scoob' :-)

I seem to have problems overtaking VTS's, especially when there's not much road for overtaking. On the other hand, give me a dual carriage-way and there's no competition.

They seem to have a lot of power low down, and are definitely no slouches!

Hope that helps a bit.

J.
Old 29 November 2001, 04:50 PM
Ellis4779
Scooby Regular

I believe they are doing free insurance on both vtr and vts!

P
Old 29 November 2001, 05:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Have a look at the 106GTI. Order of magnitude better, IMHO. Although from the crapness of the VTR that we test drove, I think it must have been a nail as everyone else rates them but I preferred the handling on my wife's 1.1 Saxo...

106GTI is supremely good...
Old 29 November 2001, 05:23 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find for a long time they were offering 2 years free insurance on all models. But minimum age restrictions were in place 25, for the VTS and 21 for the VTR. They are identical except the VTR is an 8 valve jobbie and the VTS a 16v and has 30bhp more.

Pretty quick but no motorway mile cruiser, final drive is something like 20mph/1000 rpm so 80 is 4000rpm, which is quite alot in terms of noise and fuel consumption but good for that extra bit of poke when scoobies try to overtake.
Old 29 November 2001, 05:26 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

How about a SEAT ???

Friend of mines got a Cupra ... it's well equiped and feels solid, but he's been back to the dealers with it a few times. Only niggly little things mind.

The engine is pretty solid.

J.
Old 29 November 2001, 05:48 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

My wife has a VTR. She has had it nearly 3 years and has not had a fault with it. Quite nice to drive arourd town.

RichardC
Old 29 November 2001, 07:17 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a VTR for over 2 years, a really good car

Handling very similar to scoobs, but the lift off oversteer is more controllable. Brilliant in the dry, can be a bit dodgy in the wet, and a waste of time in snow, almost managed to get stuck going up a very slight incline (<3 degrees (at a guess)) every junction requires liberal use of the handbrake to get round, but if you know to expect it you can cope. As it is white for less than 2 weeks of the year, not really a major problem, and the other 50 weeks make up for it.

I rarely managed to get less than 36mpg (rarely see more than 18 in the Impreza).

Space is at a premium in the back (not a problem if you are driving ) a bit of ingenuity is required to fit 4 adults and 4 sets of golf clubs in, but it is possible (just )

They feel far quicker than they are, which depending on how you drive can be a plus or a minus point. I had not problems with covering reasonable distances at reasonable speeds in mine, didn't find the engine / exhaust noise to be loud, and wind noise is far less than in an Impreza at the same speed.

The paintwork was thinner than that on the scooby, when it is metallic blue with white undercoat, this can be annoying.

Everything is made as thinly as possible, interior is plasticy, hardly a problem in my opinion (my dad wasn't happy, I'd say it is an incentive not to crash), but you will want to change the std stereo.

Footwell is fairly narrow, I found it OK with my size 11s, I always wear thin shoes, but wouldn't fancy trying to drive one with welly boots on

Older cars came with a spare alloy, but I believe this in no longer the case.

About all I can think of at the moment, but if you want any more info, let us know.

BTW, if you can I'd go for the VTS as you grow used to the VTRs performance very quickly.
Old 29 November 2001, 07:46 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've got a VTS as well as my Scoob.

Mainly use the Saxo for the daily commute (round trip 40 miles a day) so it's done 25k in about 20 months.

Obviously not the same poke as the Scoob, but a little more involving navigating roundabouts at speed

Bought mine 'nearly new' for £8.5k (W reg - was 6 months old) with 8k on the clock. Insurance is reasonable - £400 fully comp - and fuel consumption not bad.

Definitely fun to drive though almost as noisy as the Scoob on long journeys

Hugh
Old 29 November 2001, 08:49 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I agree ten-fold with Chiark.
I had a 'rather altered' Yellow 106GTI before the scoob and really, really miss her. If I could have kept both cars, I would be in heaven (Sad, I know). Absolutly lovely to drive, whether pootling or hammering it about. VTS, good car, pretty similar, bar better Fuel injection system in most of the GTI's and more refined handling, comfort, interior etc.
If you can get a deal on one of these instead, then you would be barking mad (money permitting) not to get one of these.
VTS still great, but could have been better.

IMHO

Cheers,

Nick
Old 29 November 2001, 09:00 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

LAD Motorsport do a 180 bhp conversion for the Saxo VTS. Not bad -- it only weighs around 950kg.
Old 30 November 2001, 06:36 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

I've driven a VTS and its quicker than my scooby (i have a sport). Nice interior and good for day to day use.