Starting salaries

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2006, 08:32 AM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting salaries

Need some advice.

The Mrs has just applied and been succesful for a job. She will be leaving her old job and starting the new one early next year.

Her new employer origianlly advertised the salary for this job as a min and max figure (e.g. salary is between= £15,000 to £18,000). Now they have offered her the job it is at the lower end of the scale, as you would expect!
Taking this salary will mean a slight wage cut for her from her old job, however the old job is a nightmare and the new one is exactly what she wants.

My question is, How common is it for people to try and barter the initial figure up before they even commence employment with the company? She wants to try it but doesn't want to **** them off before she even starts there!

Thanks

Si

p.s. Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited by SimonGawthorpe; 23 December 2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 23 December 2006, 08:40 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I would more suggest she gets in writing a review period schedule with salary goals. She can always negotiate as if they really want her they will pay some extra !

I've seen people who were on more than were offered but sometimes it worth finidng the extra budget but also you have to balance pissing off other established employees.

AllanB
Old 23 December 2006, 08:43 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It's very common and they'll probably be expecting it.
Old 23 December 2006, 09:02 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

The worst they can say is no so she may as well try!
Money isn't always everything (it does help though ) and if she has to take a small cut to get away from a nightmare job then it will be well worth it in terms of less stress for both of you!
Old 23 December 2006, 09:13 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Why doesn't she start the job first, show that she she is good at it and then ask for more money.
Old 23 December 2006, 09:24 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Am I the only one thinking this is the sort of stuff you ask in the interview and when they offer you the job when your in a better position to negotiate?

Simon
Old 23 December 2006, 09:37 AM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
The worst they can say is no so she may as well try!
Money isn't always everything (it does help though ) and if she has to take a small cut to get away from a nightmare job then it will be well worth it in terms of less stress for both of you!
That is very true. My stress level has halfed since she found out she got it!!

Si

Trending Topics

Old 23 December 2006, 09:38 AM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Am I the only one thinking this is the sort of stuff you ask in the interview and when they offer you the job when your in a better position to negotiate?

Simon
Sorry, don't quite understand that post? She has been offered the job, save for a medical.

Si
Old 23 December 2006, 09:40 AM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Why doesn't she start the job first, show that she she is good at it and then ask for more money.
Good point, but I figured that if she starts, loves it and they know she loves it, then they are unlikely to agree to a pay rise because they know she won't leave.
Its the same with buying cars, show too much interest and the seller knows he can keep the price up.

Si
Old 23 December 2006, 09:55 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Always negotiate first, she knows the limit so pitch just under. And be positive, so indicate willingness to accept at a certain figure.
Old 23 December 2006, 11:16 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started with the Police they told me I would be starting on X, they had done all the recruitment, informed everyone of success/failure and I said there was no chance I was starting on that, the girl on the phone put me on hold and I got another grand, never, ever take the first offer !

Once you are in its more difficult to get any more money.
Old 23 December 2006, 11:19 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic

Simon
I'm with you on this one Simon. If she's accepted the job then i'd have thought it was too late now, i'd have mentioned it earlier. Starting and then saying you're not happy with the money sounds daft and far too late to me.
Old 23 December 2006, 01:17 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

They've offered they job & she has yet to accept it ... still time to negotiate in my mind! Try to get it up as high as you can as you're in the best position to do so before you start. Could also suggest (then get in writing) that you'll start at £15k & after a few months if they are happy with performance it rises to something else. Remember that £3k to you is a lot, £3k to a company is very little.

TX.
Old 23 December 2006, 01:24 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

If it's a role in a large organisation at entry level then they wont be expecting it and will not move on the salary... E.g. a call centre advisor wont be able to barter up from 15k to 16.5 while everyone else is joining on 15k. The range is there to let her know that each year it is likely she will get pay rises.
If it is a more bespoke role, then at interview, salary expectations within the salary structure should have been discussed so that both the employer and her knew what the score was.
If she has accepted the position she cant ring them up and try it on... As she hasnt accepted, but it seems also hasnt stated her expectations in the interview process then it still might be a tad cheeky...
Good luck to her though!
Old 23 December 2006, 02:00 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Negotiate, without question.
State she was expecting to be nearer the high end - based on her relevant experience (assuming she has some and can make it sound justifiable). If they won't budge to start, request they review it in 3 months based on her performance and if all OK she gets the pay rise to £18 or whatever you can agree. Get it in writing. In 3 months if all is good, she'll get the pay rise - they are very, very unlikely to say she hasn't performed because that would mean she was likely to be fired.
Old 23 December 2006, 02:47 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
They've offered they job & she has yet to accept it ... still time to negotiate in my mind!TX.
Sounds from the original post that she has already accepted the job as she starts in the New Year.

I agree with P1 Fanatic. All salary negotiations should be concluded at the point of offer. I've just had a girl come back to me suggesting she had another offer on the table for an extra £1500.00 despite accepting my job some weeks ago...................

I suspect she will have a 3 month probation period. If they give her a glowing review and confirm that a full contract is on the table this would be a good opportunity to raise the wage issue.
Old 24 December 2006, 02:45 PM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies.

She has had the interview and passed it. She is now awaiting them getting references and doing a medical before they give her a firm offer. However, they have sent her a letter saying that pending the above they will offer her a certain salary.

Si