Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

hotpoint few12 washer broke(not emptying out water)

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2006, 09:58 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hotpoint few12 washer broke(not emptying out water)

come home from a **** week a work to find the washer playing up

its washing ok but the water doesnt appear to be draining out of the machine.
just happens at the most expensive time of year , anyone give us a few pointers please would appreciate it
thanks
ps its switched of but still full as well
Old 15 December 2006, 10:18 PM
wongascoob
Scooby Regular

check the pump on the outlet hose (normally jubilee clips on hose) maybe chance of blockage in there..many a time ive fished out pennies from there that caused ours to block and flood the room!!
Old 15 December 2006, 10:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for Bra underwires stuck in the drum, 5p pieces in the outlet and demonic possesion in the missus.
Old 15 December 2006, 10:40 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

I had this too this week - for me it was the pump! There was a blockage in the pipe leading down to the pump from inside the machine

Try this -

Uscrew the filter (usually behind a panel at the bottom front) and see if it is clogged up. It might flood out so have a tray handy and let it out a bit at a time. If not much comes out it may be blocked before the pump rather than at the filter after the pump if that makes sense.... The amount of water coming out will give you a hint! If you can clear the blockage do so and try the spin cycle to see if the pump starts engaging.

If the above hasn't fixed it try to drain it, via the filter or using a drain hose if it has one. If not much comes out open the door (slowly with plenty of old towels undeneath) and bail it out as much as possible. When it gets right to the bottom throw in a couple of towels to soak up as much as possible.

With the water dealt with pull it out and lie it on its side so you can access the bottom panel - unclip/unscrew/pull off plastic and you should be able to see the pump at the bottom connected to the waste pipe. Mine had a black hose clipped to the top of the pump from the drum and the waste pipe at the bottom. Use mole grips to squeeze the clips to release the pipes and check for blockages if its not obvious - at the end of the hose by the pump try running a coat hanger up/down to see if it blocked elsewhere in the piping. Once clear connect everything back up and give it a spin.

If you do have to replace the pump it does look a straight forward job though - pull out electric plugs, unscrew from frame and take out hoses, put new one on and reconnect! I'll be doing this next week as I slipped and snapped the plastic housing where it is scured on the frame... Its tied on with string for now....

Hope this helps - I'm no DIY expert but it did seem straight forward and its worth doing before calling someone out!

Good luck

Richard

p.s new pump is about £30 or you can get cheaper from ebay 4hotpoint.co.uk - genuine Hotpoint domestic appliance spares and accessories=

Last edited by RichardS2005; 15 December 2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 16 December 2006, 10:28 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If the washer is full of water, try a take it outside, before you take off any pipes underneath. It will stop a huge tidying up job afterwards. Most likely to be a block oultet filter, usually with most machines there is an inspection cover to allow you to remove filter.

Andy

Last edited by andy97; 16 December 2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 16 December 2006, 10:41 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
If the washer is full of water, try a take it outside, before you take off any pipes underneath.
Hope you've had your weetabix - they're heavy enough when they're empty!
Old 16 December 2006, 11:23 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

seems to be fixed

i cellotaped a plastic bag to the washer front, and slowly let the water pour in.

then realised the bag was going to be too heavy,

pulled it out as far as i could, undid the drain from the sink, looked in to the drain pipe and hey presto it looks like bernard mannings left ventricle.

she s been bringing alot of towels home from the shop recently and i suspect they have blocked it. i scooped out all the crud.

put the soaking washing back in and it spinned ok and pushed a load of it out and now i have got a couple of tea towels on a 95 degree wash to try and flush it out further.
iam truly a good catch for my wife she doesnt know how lucky iam
Old 16 December 2006, 01:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine thinks I am, 'cos I repair things like washers. Hee hee

Alcazar
Old 07 January 2007, 12:37 PM
Maggz
Scooby Newbie

There isn't a filter on this particular Hotpoint, apparently they no longer put filters on them because they put a strain on the pump. We have exactly the same problem with the identical model its not letting out water and I did a search on the net for ideas and found this thread.

The other half is trying to empty out some water at the moment before we can pull the machine out to look at the back of it for a way to access the pump to check there are no coins etc. in there.

Originally Posted by RichardS2005
I had this too this week - for me it was the pump! There was a blockage in the pipe leading down to the pump from inside the machine

Try this -

Uscrew the filter (usually behind a panel at the bottom front) and see if it is clogged up. It might flood out so have a tray handy and let it out a bit at a time. If not much comes out it may be blocked before the pump rather than at the filter after the pump if that makes sense.... The amount of water coming out will give you a hint! If you can clear the blockage do so and try the spin cycle to see if the pump starts engaging.

If the above hasn't fixed it try to drain it, via the filter or using a drain hose if it has one. If not much comes out open the door (slowly with plenty of old towels undeneath) and bail it out as much as possible. When it gets right to the bottom throw in a couple of towels to soak up as much as possible.

With the water dealt with pull it out and lie it on its side so you can access the bottom panel - unclip/unscrew/pull off plastic and you should be able to see the pump at the bottom connected to the waste pipe. Mine had a black hose clipped to the top of the pump from the drum and the waste pipe at the bottom. Use mole grips to squeeze the clips to release the pipes and check for blockages if its not obvious - at the end of the hose by the pump try running a coat hanger up/down to see if it blocked elsewhere in the piping. Once clear connect everything back up and give it a spin.

If you do have to replace the pump it does look a straight forward job though - pull out electric plugs, unscrew from frame and take out hoses, put new one on and reconnect! I'll be doing this next week as I slipped and snapped the plastic housing where it is scured on the frame... Its tied on with string for now....

Hope this helps - I'm no DIY expert but it did seem straight forward and its worth doing before calling someone out!

Good luck

Richard

p.s new pump is about £30 or you can get cheaper from ebay 4hotpoint.co.uk - genuine Hotpoint domestic appliance spares and accessories=
Old 07 January 2007, 01:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

If the pump dosnt run, but subsequent tests show it to be fine, its, more than likley the pressure switch...

at the front of the drum in the seal is usually a small hole leading to the pressure switch pipe....what happens is the pipe gets clogged in sh*t, and stops the changes in pressure registering on the switch, the result being that the pump dosn't get the signal to start.

if you can the m/c outside, take the lid off, and trace the hoses back from the pump to the drum and pressure switches..

disconnect them, and make sure there all clear and no blockages or narrowing of the pips has occurred.

I spotted this after keeping our failing machine going for a few months, a quick squeeze on the pipe, was enough to push a plug of air to the switch.

Although i didnt find that out until we had bought the new one, and i had the old one in the garden for a good examination.

Mart