Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are you allowed to park a jcb on your drive

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2006, 07:39 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are you allowed to park a jcb on your drive

As per title. We have just put our house up for sale within the last few weeks, however around this time one of our neighbours has decided to bring a jcb home from work and park it on his drive. We live in a mid mews (posh word for terrace) and it is a block of 3. Basically the house now looks a mess due to this yellow giant "tractor" and I feel it will put potential buyers off as generally it is a nice quite modern area with zero crime.

Are there any laws preventing this? If so I will tell him before he gets reported so he has a chance to move it.

Cheers for any help / advice
Old 11 December 2006, 07:44 PM
ice maiden
Scooby Regular

as long as its legal for road use i wouldnt think there is much you can do, however what time does he start this up in the mornings....cos u might have a bit of a stance there
Old 11 December 2006, 07:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you have a newish place. So check the house deeds as there could be restrictions. I am not supposed to have a works van parked outside and I can't keep livestock in the garden for example.

I take it you have asked him politely because you are trying to sell??
Old 11 December 2006, 07:54 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ice maiden
as long as its legal for road use i wouldnt think there is much you can do, however what time does he start this up in the mornings....cos u might have a bit of a stance there
Unfortunately he leaves after me, and regards the noise, i drive a fully decatted scoob!
Old 11 December 2006, 07:55 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

He wont own it so find out where he works and contact them and express your safety concerns due to children and the possibility of damage to the street etc. I work for a national company and belive me if someone complains about company vehicles(vans) being parked and causing concerns from neighbours they act quickly
Old 11 December 2006, 07:55 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

nothing on the deeds about it even though the property is leasehold. The only thing is we are not allowed to have a sky dish or external aerial but everyone has anyway
Old 11 December 2006, 07:56 PM
ice maiden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
Unfortunately he leaves after me, and regards the noise, i drive a fully decatted scoob!
lol but he is driving a machine.....if used on a building site where there are already houses occupied these cannot be started up before 8am
Old 11 December 2006, 07:59 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ice maiden
lol but he is driving a machine.....if used on a building site where there are already houses occupied these cannot be started up before 8am
is this a law though or just a building site rule?
My missus has said that he leaves at about 7.30 in the morning so would the above apply to this?
Old 11 December 2006, 08:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I am not supposed to have a works van parked outside and I can't keep livestock in the garden for example.
What about fishes then?
Old 11 December 2006, 08:06 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Dont they come under anything like operators license?

Normally over 3.5tom and you need permission for commercial vehicles?
Old 11 December 2006, 08:09 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

A Basically the house now looks a mess due to this yellow giant "tractor" and I feel it will put potential buyers off as generally it is a nice quite modern area with zero crime.
Pot, kettle and black spring to mind there mate, its ok for you to have a rather loud noisey scoob but for a neighbour to have a jcb on his drive,

Have you ever thought your neighbours might not like the noise your scoob makes ?
Have you asked him if its going to be there every night ?

or is his own motor broke so using the company jcb

there may well be a simple reason for him bringing it home, my neighbour is a truck driver and quite often on a friday night he comes home in the cab and its sits there all weekend and i live in a CUL-DE-SAC which is posher than your mid terrace but we don't moan about it
Old 11 December 2006, 08:13 PM
ice maiden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Dont they come under anything like operators license?

Normally over 3.5tom and you need permission for commercial vehicles?
no you dont need an operators licence for these...

am not sure about the legalities of the before 8am rule, but i am sure there must be something you can do about it have you spoken to the neighbour?
Old 11 December 2006, 08:15 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

come on theres a bit of a difference between a scooby and JCB, i know which id rather have
Old 11 December 2006, 08:28 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I'm no legal expert mate but to leave plant machinery parked on the public highway a valid permit is required. I guess it becomes a bit grey becasue although your neighbour owns the driveway it is still publicly accesible ie there are no protective measures to keep the public off that area.

Personally i would opt for the softer approach asking if he would keep the equipment away from the house for a few months while you try to sell. There is also some human rights crap about you having a right to enjoy your property but not to the detriment of others enjoying theirs or something like that.

Just drop by and have a word - more likey to lead to success than running at him all guns blazing.
Old 11 December 2006, 08:32 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
come on theres a bit of a difference between a scooby and JCB, i know which id rather have
pmsl, in size and height yes but tell you what i'll sit outsude your house and at 5.30am every morning i will start up my blizt nur specr R fully decatted scoob (110db's) up and see how long you can stand it before your banging in mt door
Old 11 December 2006, 08:34 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
pmsl, in size and height yes but tell you what i'll sit outsude your house and at 5.30am every morning i will start up my blizt nur specr R fully decatted scoob (110db's) up and see how long you can stand it before your banging in mt door
not a problem i start work at 5
Old 11 December 2006, 09:10 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I can't keep livestock in the garden for example.
sorry to hijack and all, but that cracked me up......

have the sheep issued you with a restraining order again
Old 11 December 2006, 09:15 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
Pot, kettle and black spring to mind there mate, its ok for you to have a rather loud noisey scoob but for a neighbour to have a jcb on his drive,

Have you ever thought your neighbours might not like the noise your scoob makes ?
Have you asked him if its going to be there every night ?

or is his own motor broke so using the company jcb

there may well be a simple reason for him bringing it home, my neighbour is a truck driver and quite often on a friday night he comes home in the cab and its sits there all weekend and i live in a CUL-DE-SAC which is posher than your mid terrace but we don't moan about it
I havent mentioned the noise issue one bit.
My neighbours actually do like my scoob and the noise it makes. In particular this neighbour who is thinking about getting one.
My issue is purely that of a visual impact. It looks a mess.
By the way, I also live in a cul-de-sac and it is posh, it is also a mid mews, i mentioned terrace as people like you wouldnt understand that terminology

NAt21

Dont know if you realise but this is a subaru website. Come up with a constructive answer or shut the **** up
Old 11 December 2006, 09:17 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent mentioned the noise issue one bit.
My neighbours actually do like my scoob and the noise it makes. In particular this neighbour who is thinking about getting one.
My issue is purely that of a visual impact. It looks a mess.
By the way, I also live in a cul-de-sac and it is posh, it is also a mid mews, i mentioned terrace as people like you wouldnt understand that terminology

NAt21

Dont know if you realise but this is a subaru website. Come up with a constructive answer or shut the **** up

chill mate, SN is populated by grade a plonkers..sift through the dross and you will find the answer you need. Just takes a bit of patience
Old 11 December 2006, 09:17 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I'm no legal expert mate but to leave plant machinery parked on the public highway a valid permit is required. I guess it becomes a bit grey becasue although your neighbour owns the driveway it is still publicly accesible ie there are no protective measures to keep the public off that area.

Personally i would opt for the softer approach asking if he would keep the equipment away from the house for a few months while you try to sell. There is also some human rights crap about you having a right to enjoy your property but not to the detriment of others enjoying theirs or something like that.

Just drop by and have a word - more likey to lead to success than running at him all guns blazing.
Cheers Tarmac, I am going to be having a word with him, just want to know where I stand on the law side of things, as I like to have the info available first of all so it gets sorted once
Old 11 December 2006, 09:21 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
chill mate, SN is populated by grade a plonkers..sift through the dross and you will find the answer you need. Just takes a bit of patience
I know Tony, but it gets on my nerves when I ask a genuine question. Didnt mind Dazza01 response as he had some valid points (apart from his house being posher and all that) but the other response from Nat
Old 11 December 2006, 09:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

if he is parking it there a lot, he may have to have an operators licence to run his business from home, a bit of a blow below the belt imho, id just ask him to move it when you know theres potential buyers coming?
Old 11 December 2006, 09:33 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
if he is parking it there a lot, he may have to have an operators licence to run his business from home, a bit of a blow below the belt imho, id just ask him to move it when you know theres potential buyers coming?
unless hes a reasonable sort of guy(fat chance) i think a door slammed in your face is a real possibility
Old 11 December 2006, 09:36 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
I know what your saying about the asking him to move it when there are buyers coming, but if buyers are anything like me, they will come round the area first to see what its like before making an appointment to see the house.

This guy is a single guy and it is rare to see him, at weekends he is always spannered (lucky git) and he is out most nights in his car until late! (merc with personalised plate and blacked out windows and lexus style lights!)
Old 11 December 2006, 09:37 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
unless hes a reasonable sort of guy(fat chance) i think a door slammed in your face is a real possibility
he is actually okay its just you never really see him just the jcb!
Old 11 December 2006, 09:37 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

I would ask VERY nicely if you do, unless you want a fresh, unglazed bay window in your house .......

....well "accidents" do happen
Old 11 December 2006, 09:39 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robbie T
I would ask VERY nicely if you do, unless you want a fresh, unglazed bay window in your house .......

....well "accidents" do happen

I know accidents do happen, I wonder how his part built extension came a tumbling down
Old 11 December 2006, 09:45 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

I know accidents do happen, I wonder how his part built extension came a tumbling down
Substandard footings
Old 11 December 2006, 10:11 PM
51st state
Scooby Regular

everyone keeps asking you to go and have a chat to him, which everybody did a few years ago, now it seems peoples fisrt reaction is to use solicitors
from reading the thread, you seem tobe arming yourself with the law, so if you don't get what you want your going to force your opinion on your neighbour,
can only end in trouble
HAVE A WORD!! you may have to let it sink in for a few days, before he sees what he's doing,! put pressure on , and he may get his back up
you don't paint a great picture of him , although he maybe nothing like it,
it is a plant machine and as such does not an operators license and does not come under commercial vehicle laws,
parked on his drive is not on the street,

Quick Reply: Are you allowed to park a jcb on your drive