Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Million plus 15-24 year olds doing zilch.Skivers

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2006, 01:20 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Million plus 15-24 year olds doing zilch.Skivers

1.24 million 15-24 year olds doing nothing.No job/education.Just doing absolutely nothing.

No school, no job for record numbers - Britain - Times Online

Have to say I'm not impressed with what schools churn out.I keep wondering who is going to employ all these kids.Not sure if it is broken homes to blame.Do they count in the unemployed figures?
Old 11 December 2006, 01:27 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
1.24 million 15-24 year olds doing nothing.No job/education.Just doing absolutely nothing.

Have to say I'm not impressed with what schools churn out.I keep wondering who is going to employ all these kids.Not sure if it is broken homes to blame.Do they count in the unemployed figures?
10 years ago, therw would have been the cleaners, labourers etc of our workforce. And before anyone says otherwise there's nothing wrong with that, we can't all be brain sugeons.
However, with the influx of foreign, low skilled, low paid workers, I worry about the future for these 1.24 million. And what it means for the rest of us.
Old 11 December 2006, 01:28 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative leader, will unveil today his 300,000-word report blaming the breakdown of traditional families for poverty, school failure and crime. He will blame men rather than single mothers, a traditional Tory target, for the failure.

So its not the Government's fault!
Old 11 December 2006, 01:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No discipline, no respect for authority, no real standard of education any more anyway. Incompetent PC plonker teachers in many cases and dysfunctional parents.

= no hopers!

Les
Old 11 December 2006, 01:32 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

And millions of enthusiastic, intelligent, well-trained Chinese and Indians ready to take all the skilled jobs too.
Old 11 December 2006, 01:54 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
No discipline, no respect for authority, no real standard of education any more anyway. Incompetent PC plonker teachers in many cases and dysfunctional parents.

= no hopers!

Les
Quality post this Les Has it even entered your mind that the Teachers aren't allowed to do what they should do?

It's far too easy to blame society for these "kids". The blame FIRMLY lies with the parents. Nobody else. This is where, as a kid, you learn all of your values and respect.

Agreed though - they're still no-hopers, but don't go blaming other people for their own shortcomings.

Dan
Old 11 December 2006, 02:04 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti

That's 1.2395 million that have to wake up and realise they are never going to be celebrities or footballers. They need to get off their ***** and do something because it will never get any better for them and no one will help them.

The graduates I see coming into industry are just rubbish. Can't write, spell, do maths etc.

Broken homes I think are a bit of a fallacy. Many very successful people come from single parent families.
Old 11 December 2006, 04:17 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
That's 1.2395 million that have to wake up and realise they are never going to be celebrities or footballers. They need to get off their ***** and do something because it will never get any better for them and no one will help them.

The graduates I see coming into industry are just rubbish. Can't write, spell, do maths etc.

Broken homes I think are a bit of a fallacy. Many very successful people come from single parent families.
Yep! I would broadly agree. Blaming the single parent family is easy I guess. A reality check is what a lot of people need!
Old 11 December 2006, 04:19 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Quality post this Les Has it even entered your mind that the Teachers aren't allowed to do what they should do?

It's far too easy to blame society for these "kids". The blame FIRMLY lies with the parents. Nobody else. This is where, as a kid, you learn all of your values and respect.

Agreed though - they're still no-hopers, but don't go blaming other people for their own shortcomings.

Dan
Asbolutely, people that blame it on teachers have no idea how the system works.

The blame firmly lies with either the parents, or the feckwits that run the country and decide on education policy and what teachers can/can't do.
Old 11 December 2006, 04:29 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Make them join the armed forces - that'll show them some discipline !

<flame suit on!>
Old 11 December 2006, 04:30 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

I'm a teacher. We often use the statement 'you can't polish sh1te'.
If the parent's have no authority over the kids then how do you expect them to act when they come to school? I called home the other day for a student who wasn't attending detentions, the reply I got was 'well, what do you expect me to do? I can't make him come? You'll just have to keep re-setting it' When that poorly behaved child fails his GCSE's it's going to be my fault then isn't it! It's a joke!
Old 11 December 2006, 04:41 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightMan
10 years ago, therw would have been the cleaners, labourers etc of our workforce. And before anyone says otherwise there's nothing wrong with that, we can't all be brain sugeons.
However, with the influx of foreign, low skilled, low paid workers, I worry about the future for these 1.24 million. And what it means for the rest of us.

It means More people on the dole for the taxpayers to fork out for. I cant see how the government can spout this bull**** about needing foriegn labour to fill jobs shortages when there are 1.2 million arseholes sat at home on their *** claiming the dole.
Old 11 December 2006, 04:51 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw a few weeks back: "Keep working, millions on benefit depend on you"
Old 11 December 2006, 05:02 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trumble

<flame suit on!>
Agreed
Old 11 December 2006, 05:06 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumble

<flame suit on!>
Make them do a job they dont want to do thats against their human rights

Last edited by kingofturds; 11 December 2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11 December 2006, 05:29 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one - this is not the Government's fault. The lunatics have taken over the asylum - PC/Tree-hugging sandle-wearing lentil-munchers who believe that it's not little Johhny's fault nor his parents I'll say it again, it's far too easy for parents today to say, "It's not my fault I'm a sh1te parent, it must be YOUR fault. Fix it for me"

As for human rights - surely it's against MY human rights to support those who I don't want to. Make em do National Service

Anyhoo, it's all down to perspective. I'm right, you're wrong (my perspective!

DAn

Originally Posted by hutton_d
No it does not lie firmly with parents. It mostly lies with government policies, for many years, which undermine the family and teachers ability to disipline. Not to mention policies which dictate trendy teaching methods etc. we need proper support for families (and to probaby start another SN 'the only gay in the village is just as important' debate!! I mean heterosexual married couples with kids), non-trendy, just effective, teachers and a police force that prevents crime, first and foremost, then catches criminals secondly and a justice system that punishes criminals. oh, and a welfare state that cuts benfits from the job-shy after a set period as they do in the US ...

Dave
Old 11 December 2006, 05:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are middle class you are allowed to call inactivity a gap year.
Old 11 December 2006, 05:48 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL!

Dan
Old 11 December 2006, 06:13 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

its all to late the pc brigade have totally killed this country the trouble we have now is the scum generation are breeding so there seedlings go bad they have babies and so on.

i think national service is the best thing we could offer our countrys future, get every single tax dodger, immogrant, muslim, every one who is living in GreatBritain to do there two years. Under strict traditional british christian way.

give back the teachers there right to wallop the kids and hug them when they have done well.

get rid of all the paper work that the coppers have to do when they stop and search or even question(this was forced on the police by muslims as they thought they was being victamized) Let the coppers give you a mild beating when needed, then get another from your old man for getting invlolved with the police.

sorry there are no dads left in the house its all single parents no father figure no dicsapline.

We need stability , we need dads to be dads 100% its hard for single parents i know but if you decide to have kids have them in a stable reationship.its no joke its hard work being a good parent.

I await the softy softy human rights twerps who are brainwashed living in cookoo land to nail me for this reply but do you know what its your fecking lots fault this country is in the state its in now!!!
Old 11 December 2006, 06:23 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatty
its all to late the pc brigade have totally killed this country the trouble we have now is the scum generation are breeding so there seedlings go bad they have babies and so on.

i think national service is the best thing we could offer our countrys future, get every single tax dodger, immogrant, muslim, every one who is living in GreatBritain to do there two years. Under strict traditional british christian way.

give back the teachers there right to wallop the kids and hug them when they have done well.

get rid of all the paper work that the coppers have to do when they stop and search or even question(this was forced on the police by muslims as they thought they was being victamized) Let the coppers give you a mild beating when needed, then get another from your old man for getting invlolved with the police.

sorry there are no dads left in the house its all single parents no father figure no dicsapline.

We need stability , we need dads to be dads 100% its hard for single parents i know but if you decide to have kids have them in a stable reationship.its no joke its hard work being a good parent.

I await the softy softy human rights twerps who are brainwashed living in cookoo land to nail me for this reply but do you know what its your fecking lots fault this country is in the state its in now!!!
I broadly agree with you Gatty. This country and it's society has very much lost it's way at the hands of ideological over realistic ivory tower dogooders.

Not all people know what's best for them and not all people will choose to be good over bad (fundamental flaws of liberalism) - this is where government and authority should come into the picture.

In this country it's gone very wrong.
Old 11 December 2006, 06:36 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

What most youngsters and indeed most people need is a reality check. There are jobs out there for those that WANT TO DO THEM. There are opportunities for those that wish to take them. Trouble is it is easy to cash a giro on a weekly basis and wander about aimlessly. Ask any employer why they are employing foreigners and the answer is they work hard and have little or no time off. The vast majority of youngsters lack ambition and have little real world skills. This is often due to being mollycoddled and being tied to mummy's apron strings too long. Ambition and endeavour will be rewarded for those that have it, but things won't happen without effort. As the saying goes 'you can't keep a good man down'.All the skilled people are being poached by other countries and there is no one stepping up to fill the gap.
Old 11 December 2006, 06:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

I'd be firmly on the side of the anti-dole scroungers, except:

Four years ago, my eldest started 6th form college, against my advice, and, as I thought he would, loathed it.

He left, too late to start owt meaningful at tech college.

And then the problems started:

He was too young to get the dole
He was too young to go to job club
He was too young to get jobseekers allowance
He didn't qualify for ANY benefits
Our child benefit stopped as he was no longer in fte.
He couldn't get a job, (depressed area, don't y'know?)
Connexions offered him aplacement 35 miles away. He had NO transport, and couldn't get there, or home. They wouldn't/couldn't help him to go and live there

We did our best to support him, but I watched him getting increasingly bitter and unhappy as the months wore on. There was just nothing for him, no-one cared, he didn't exist. He was one of "Maggie's Missing Millions" which TBLiar has failed to sort out. He had little, or no, money, and YES he hung around on street corners. every night I was expecting the knock at the door............

Eventually he DID go back to tech, the next september, 10 months later,on a paid Work-based Learning.

Please, everyone, DON'T just label those kids out there who are doing nowt. Many, many of them will be in the same boat as my lad.

It's been brought about by successive governments hiding the true unemployment figures by trying to FORCE all post 16 students to carry on in education, paid or unpaid. And it's a CRAP policy, as not all kids are cut out for it.

As mentioned elsewhere, now that the lower paid jobs are being taken by the half million eastern Europeans that "weren't going to come in such numbers" , just WHAT ELSE IS THERE for these kids?

I worry for this country. This situation is a ticking time-bomb, and it's been set by Labour

Alcazar
Old 11 December 2006, 06:45 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
What most youngsters and indeed most people need is a reality check. There are jobs out there for those that WANT TO DO THEM. There are opportunities for those that wish to take them. Trouble is it is easy to cash a giro on a weekly basis and wander about aimlessly. Ask any employer why they are employing foreigners and the answer is they work hard and have little or no time off. The vast majority of youngsters lack ambition and have little real world skills. This is often due to being mollycoddled and being tied to mummy's apron strings too long. Ambition and endeavour will be rewarded for those that have it, but things won't happen without effort. As the saying goes 'you can't keep a good man down'.All the skilled people are being poached by other countries and there is no one stepping up to fill the gap.
And then said youngsters grow up and start thinking that life is so unfair, they have been hard done by, things conspired against them, others had it better, bitterness, twisted, vandalism, drugs, crime, resentment for hard working members of society.

Always better to nip problems in the bud.
Old 11 December 2006, 06:47 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I worry for this country. This situation is a ticking time-bomb, and it's been set by Labour
Be afraid. Very afraid.

I'll be leaving before too long.
Old 11 December 2006, 08:18 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Four years ago, my eldest started 6th form college, against my advice, and, as I thought he would, loathed it.

Connexions offered him aplacement 35 miles away. He had NO transport, and couldn't get there, or home. They wouldn't/couldn't help him to go and live there

We did our best to support him, but I watched him getting increasingly bitter and unhappy as the months wore on. There was just nothing for him, no-one cared, he didn't exist. He was one of "Maggie's Missing Millions" which TBLiar has failed to sort out. He had little, or no, money, and YES he hung around on street corners. every night I was expecting the knock at the door............

Eventually he DID go back to tech, the next september, 10 months later,on a paid Work-based Learning.

Please, everyone, DON'T just label those kids out there who are doing nowt. Many, many of them will be in the same boat as my lad.

It's been brought about by successive governments hiding the true unemployment figures by trying to FORCE all post 16 students to carry on in education, paid or unpaid. And it's a CRAP policy, as not all kids are cut out for it.

As mentioned elsewhere, now that the lower paid jobs are being taken by the half million eastern Europeans that "weren't going to come in such numbers" , just WHAT ELSE IS THERE for these kids?

Alcazar

the tic tocs are becoming very loud! theres a lot crap going on at the moment how much more can we (the masses) take?

hope your sons doing well.
Old 11 December 2006, 09:11 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

The problem is across the aboard. I agree mostly with Gatty's post that there isn't a hard stance, and there are too many no hopers and nimbies that need to face facts and be kicked into line with an iron boot. However there are other areas that are contributing factors - even to those worthy of being employed:

Employers aren't interested in taking on anyone on either. Again, you can blame the government for taxing them so much that they can't afford to take on anyone with limited or no work experience, I can't blame them, a company purely exists to make money, not lose it. But how about the multi-billion dollar companies who can afford it? With half soaked middle managemnet, brain dead teleworkers and long weekend golfers for upper managment? Surely they need to be held accountable that their financial burdens, no matter how worthy they feel they "deserve" it, is restricting lower level employment at the bottom of their corporation's ladder.

I'm no stranger to how inept large companies can be: I jumped on the career ladder at the wrong point in the economy. The only available jobs were sales, mainly telesales, oh joy. No matter how much my inflated self-worth could be, I know I'm better than that, but there was no opertunity to show it. And as pointed out above, there is no point in doing a job if your don't want to do it...presuming you can afford to; I couldn't so made do, doing mind numbing roles that hardly pass themselves off as a "career". Hell, all I wanted was a job that had some reflection on my acedemic qualifications (what I'm actually any good at ) and what I could do well in. Not with me ending up doing something I could have waltzed in straight from leaving school, making my 5 years of extra education a pure waste of my life and taxpayer's money.

Granted, not every job is going to be as enticing as being Ferarri's test driver, whilst moonlighting as Ron Jeramy's stand in. But there is more no-hopers than there is no-hoper jobs. And this is where I'll give a good slagging to recuritment agencies, who do well at employing no hopers to find their client employers candidates. The result is a score of vaigue job descriptions, enticing poeple with more knowledge about nose picking than the actual role in question, having their applications pollute the recuriter's desk. Whilst somewhere deep in that huge pile of CVs is a few highly capeble people who would be perfect. But thanks to the recruitment company employing numpties the ideal candidate is lost, as all they can read are buzzwords and think the more acronyms listed on a CV, the better. Incompetence is the evil within this particular sector, and because of that it breed further Incompetence through the wrong candidates it supplies to its clients.

To conclude, this country is fooked
Old 12 December 2006, 11:26 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Alcazar
Sorry about the situation he was in, but it's the same for all of us and always has been.

I've never been on the dole, never claimed benefits and always managed to find a job somewhere. Yes some of the jobs were awful, and didn't pay much more than the dole but I wanted to work so had to take the job/s.

I didn't know what job club/seekers allowance was, I just spent my time going the job centre, cold calling businesses from the yellow pages, and doing everything I could to get a job.

Sorry to sound holier than thou, but its the attitude that kids are "owed a living" that causes the issues. Jobs dont just arive, they have to go and get them. And if they can't find one straight away, keep plugging away but spend the evenings sorting out a work plan.
Old 12 December 2006, 09:45 PM
Laura W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

= no hopers!

Les
As a teacher, Les, in a fairly affluent area, I am still seeing children slip through the net. NOT because I dont bust my gut every day, work through my lunch hours to give extra help whilst also maintaining AN EXCELLENT standard of discipline and respect in my class. However, teachers are increasingly forced to work with less money, resources etc and when they go to the "authorities" to seek extra help in school for children that need it, (sometimes due to learning difficulties, sometimes due to parents that do not know how to "parent") they are told that the funds are not available. So when you say "teachers", I hope that you are in fact referring to the state of the education system as opposed to those of us that put our heart and soul into doing the best for the children in our care?! exit soapbox
Old 12 December 2006, 09:57 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Laura W
As a teacher, Les, in a fairly affluent area, I am still seeing children slip through the net. NOT because I dont bust my gut every day, work through my lunch hours to give extra help whilst also maintaining AN EXCELLENT standard of discipline and respect in my class. However, teachers are increasingly forced to work with less money, resources etc and when they go to the "authorities" to seek extra help in school for children that need it, (sometimes due to learning difficulties, sometimes due to parents that do not know how to "parent") they are told that the funds are not available. So when you say "teachers", I hope that you are in fact referring to the state of the education system as opposed to those of us that put our heart and soul into doing the best for the children in our care?! exit soapbox

Fair point Laura. What is needed though? Smaller classes and more teachers? Do you think there are too many children of mixed ability in the same classes? Are some children just not wanting to be taught? Sorry for all the questions but you having seen the situation first hand are better positioned to comment on it.

Maz

Quick Reply: Million plus 15-24 year olds doing zilch.Skivers