OzzyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Left 7.5 yrs ago.
Old 11 December 2006, 04:54 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I left last year for new opportunities, not a conscious choice to flee Britain. Don't really miss it now though, did at first, but most of my friends have left too, and the standard of living is unbelievably high here in comparison!
Old 11 December 2006, 05:37 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I left due to high taxes for little return high crime and it being hard to find a job. In addition i do not find the UK a great place to bring up children.
Old 11 December 2006, 06:31 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I left in 1993
Old 11 December 2006, 06:50 AM
dabow
Scooby Regular

im going to be looking into this my self.
like most will say, very high tax over here
just need to look into it all
Old 11 December 2006, 07:03 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of going, this place is sliding down hill fast.
Highest taxes in the world, soaring crime (dont bother quoting figures New Labia keep changing the way they're worked out), civil liberties eroded, beginnings of a Police State. etc etc...
Old 11 December 2006, 09:40 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suresh
I left in 1993
Snap.
Old 11 December 2006, 09:53 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Toronto is still very tempting to me.

I have the qualifications (in theory) to get a job at any airport, so might have a look in the next few years to see what is available
Old 11 December 2006, 11:00 AM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

I have the qualifications (in theory) to get a job at any airport, so might have a look in the next few years to see what is available
Keen on Toronto myself - have to stay here for the next couple of years but will give me time to go on holiday and sample the life before making the final decision. Getting a job should be no problem (nurse).

Anyone on here moved out to Toronto?

andy
Old 11 December 2006, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Spent some time there-great place I thought.

Les
Old 11 December 2006, 12:35 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Plan to be out before Im 30, so within 4years (unless the UK makes a dramatic turn-around, but its unlikely!)
Old 11 December 2006, 12:39 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I moved to Germany in Feb 2000 and am still here.
Old 11 December 2006, 12:41 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Instead of polluting the rest of the world with your chip shops and sandals why don't you stay in this country and try and make it a better place.
Old 11 December 2006, 12:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

ah the beauty of a British/Canadian dual nationality passport just wish I could afford to up sticks and leave.
Old 11 December 2006, 12:49 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Dhananjayan Sriskandarajah, co-author of the report, said that the scale and spread of the British expat diaspora was probably being driven by the UK's economic strength.
Oh and the small factor that the UK is a sh*te hole. That is in a continual downward spiral, which no half decent UK citizen with common sense can do anything about, as a gorvenment they don't want still runs the country in such a manner that allows it to happen. Then it refuses acknowledge the core problems that it is a sh*te hole, and thus will never do anything about it, but will tax us to death (including death itself ) for teh privilidge of living in such a crap hole. No thanks. It's either change the government to one that will address the core issues of this country's continuing demise, or leave. Now I'm no Citizen Smith, so I've taken the latter option
Old 11 December 2006, 03:11 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
I left due to high taxes for little return high crime and it being hard to find a job. In addition i do not find the UK a great place to bring up children.
Snap
Old 11 December 2006, 03:41 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

Originally Posted by speye91
I will be one of them next year.
Me too.
Old 11 December 2006, 04:53 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

i would like to work in the US.. Think that would only happen if i split witht the current GF.... There is no way i could tempt her to work out there.
Old 11 December 2006, 05:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyfish
Keen on Toronto myself - have to stay here for the next couple of years but will give me time to go on holiday and sample the life before making the final decision. Getting a job should be no problem (nurse).

Anyone on here moved out to Toronto?

andy
I'm in Toronto and have been for the past 3 3/4 years. Our company decided to open a Canadian office after the US decided they didn't want to give us visa's as we'd be "stealing" jobs from yanks... deep breath Anyway, we decided to see if Canada was a little more friendly, and they are/were, so here I am

So I did not specifically relocate due to the UK going to the dogs, however I'm very happy over here and apart from visits I have no immediate plans to move back to the UK.

If anyone is considering moving to Toronto then feel free to email me your questions and I'll try and answer what I can
Old 11 December 2006, 05:50 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Instead of polluting the rest of the world with your chip shops and sandals why don't you stay in this country and try and make it a better place.
Mission impossible mate... things have gone way too far for that kind of thinking now.

I am planning to leave before too long - sorry, but UK is slowly becoming a right hole, all thanks to 10-15 years of very short sighted and bad decisions that have scarified a nation for the sake of boosting the economy.

Leave the place to the low lifes and immigrants. Just don't want to live here anymore and have slowly lost all feeling of loyalty and respect for this country.

Feel sorry for those of you that will be left behind dealing with the aftermath - but I do look forward to the do-gooders getting their just deserts and realising how foolish and unrealistic they have been.
Old 14 December 2006, 10:29 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

If I ever moved i think it would be Holland. Amsterdam in particular is a fantastic place. Couldn't ever contemplate the US, I get to go out there frequently and hate everything about it (apart from gas and clothes prices ). Their culture is not nearly as friendly as the European culture.
Old 14 December 2006, 11:10 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
If I ever moved i think it would be Holland. Amsterdam in particular is a fantastic place. Couldn't ever contemplate the US, I get to go out there frequently and hate everything about it (apart from gas and clothes prices ). Their culture is not nearly as friendly as the European culture.

Amsterdam is a sh1thole to be honest. I recall a Lonely Planet city guide documentary on tv a couple of years back. The presenter was out at night exploring the city with his crew filming at a distance and he got mugged on camera

Can you believe I only live 30 mins away and never bother to go there?
There are much better cities in the Netherlands. Den Haag, Den Bosch, Utrecht and Arnhem are just four of them. Or maybe I'm just old.
Old 14 December 2006, 10:44 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suresh
There are much better cities in the Netherlands. Den Haag,
What the hell is good about Den Haag? I know a number of organisations are complaining about having to have their offices there, it's just a CBD by day and a hole by night.
Old 15 December 2006, 01:55 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
It's well beyond that now, thanks to Billy Liar, the Pension Thief & Blind Pugh (the worst of the lot) the country is now on a slow, irreversible slide into third world status

With no real alternative to the present government available, there can only be a continued steady increase in the number of civil servants & freeloaders placing an ever increasing burden on a steadily decreasing number of honest taxpayers It can only end one way, and that's badly

Last one out won't need to turn off the lights With no money left to pay the bill you were cut off years ago
Old 15 December 2006, 02:09 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I'm in shed load of debt at the mo but I am working towards the "day of freedom" at which point I will look at my options towards leaving this ****hole for good..
Not one single thing holding me here other than the money thing..

Andy
Old 15 December 2006, 02:36 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

A blatant Cut'n'Paste from another forum but it illustrates the point.

Below is the official Government spending allocation as sourced from the IFS Green Budget 2006:

Social Security & Tax Credits - £136.6 billion
Health - £81.5 billion
Education - £63.3 billion
Police & Public Order - £28.7 billion
Defence - £28.2 billion
Government Debt - £24.5 billion
Overseas Aid - £4.1 billion
For every £1 that's spent on education (the country's future), we spend over £2 supporting chavs, pikeys, junkies & immigrants

Think how many hospitals you could fund with that

Or alternatively for a mere fraction of it, we could supply our poor troops in Afghanistan & Iraq with decent armour, personal and mechanised, or guns that work

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 15 December 2006 at 02:58 AM.
Old 15 December 2006, 02:53 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I seriously think it's time the NHS was sorted out. There should be compulsory insurance for everyone between the ages of 18 and 65 and free for the rest. There must be an efficient way to run this beast. At the moment it's just a money pit.

Social security? Well if you've paid your national insurance for a minimum of 10 years then I'd make a limit of 5 years you can claim dole. Once 5 years is up (all at once or spread over the years) then you get nothing. There is no excuse whatsoever for Britons to be unemployed. If Polish and the rest of them can find jobs then so can the home population.

Education. Well it's amazing that £63.3 billion can be spent, yet a good deal of those leaving school can't read and write properly. Just where does this money go? Do head teachers need to be paid £100,000 ish a year?
Old 15 December 2006, 05:52 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
What the hell is good about Den Haag? I know a number of organisations are complaining about having to have their offices there, it's just a CBD by day and a hole by night.
It's where I buy my wheels and tyres

Quick Reply: 5.5m Britons opt to live abroad