Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding Motorists

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2006, 12:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Speeding Motorists

I have noticed that there are a lot fewer speeding motorists on Motorways these days.

Lately, I have beed driving about the country ..... and I am surprised at how many drivers are keeping at about 80-85MPH.

Not much more than 5 years ago you would quite often see a ******** whistle past at 100+MPH ...................

It simply does not happen these days - this Government said that it would make speeding as anti-social as drink-driving .......

Has it now achieved that? Or are people just too worried about being caught?

Either way, those ********* which used to speed at all times seem to have been removed from the roads or educated?

Last edited by pslewis; 09 December 2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09 December 2006, 12:11 PM
Critical Bill
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you could be right. I find I have to overtake twice as many socially engineered sheep these days in order to maintain my standard 95mph.
Old 09 December 2006, 12:21 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

There do seem to be less doing the 95+ thing on the motorways round here too...
Probably either dead or banned... Either way its good news
Old 09 December 2006, 12:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would support what you say PSL, I did suggest that the motorway speed limit should be raised to 85MPH with stringent penalties for those who exceed three figure speeds.

Nothing very clevsr about very high speeds on crowded roads in a virtually straight line anyway!

Les
Old 09 December 2006, 12:46 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny you should say that about the speed on motorways

I read a review of the Impreza Wagon, you know the small engined non turbo etc for 12 grand, and the final comment was its a nice 90mph cruiser !!!!
Old 09 December 2006, 02:06 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pslewis
..... and I am surprised at how many drivers are keeping at about 80-85MPH.
Either way, those ********* which used to speed at all times seem to have been removed from the roads or educated?
Maybe you are the ******** - driving at 80-85mph is still speeding isn't it?? Not that you would ever go that fast (or even know what it looked like)!

mb
Old 09 December 2006, 02:08 PM
sociophobe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I would support what you say PSL, I did suggest that the motorway speed limit should be raised to 85MPH with stringent penalties for those who exceed three figure speeds.

Nothing very clevsr about very high speeds on crowded roads in a virtually straight line anyway!

Les
Stop sucking him off.
Old 09 December 2006, 02:15 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Lewis you dodged my question earlier, how can a man of 78 years old be on business trip arn't you a retiered now ?

Anyway back on topic - The motorway speed should be raised, i think 90 mph would suit it nicley, 70 is to slow for it.
Old 09 December 2006, 02:24 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Everytime I drive from Leeds to London on the M1 I can tell the speed of the traffic increases as you get nearer to London with quite a lot of cars which seem to be doing in excess of 90mph....i,am doing 80mph and they seem to fly past..
Old 09 December 2006, 03:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

If anything motorway speeds are up, once out of the roadworks here that is. Even during the roadworks (average speed cameras) you'll get quite a few cars easily doing 60+.
Old 09 December 2006, 03:36 PM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

Thats right lez hang the motorist out to dry whilst rapists and muggers get second preference. Too much listening to Tony benn on his soapbox

Last edited by Curse of the Rushing Gimp; 09 December 2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09 December 2006, 05:22 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I have noticed that there are a lot fewer speeding motorists on Motorways these days.

Lately, I have beed driving about the country ..... and I am surprised at how many drivers are keeping at about 80-85MPH.

Not much more than 5 years ago you would quite often see a ******** whistle past at 100+MPH ...................

It simply does not happen these days - this Government said that it would make speeding as anti-social as drink-driving .......

Has it now achieved that? Or are people just too worried about being caught?

Sooo everyone still speeding (motorway limit is 70 btw ) at 80/85mph so no, not much has changed.
Old 11 December 2006, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Thats right lez hang the motorist out to dry whilst rapists and muggers get second preference. Too much listening to Tony benn on his soapbox
You just have not remembered my previous posts do you Mr very fast Gimp.

My feelings are that speedcams are not accurate enough to convict motorists and put points on licences. Speed limits should be raised on motorways as I said, and that it is irresponsible and unfair to others to drive at three figure speeds on today's overcrowded roads since it cuts down the safety margins should anything untoward happen and any crash will have far more serious results. Therefore penalties should be high enough to dissuade gross speeding offences.

It is very selfish to believe that you have a God given right to drive at such excessive speeds which is against the law and is very likely to endanger others.

There should be far more traffic police who are encouraged to use common sense with minor speeding offences but book the really bad ones. we need them to catch the drunks, uninsured and non MOT'ed and those who have not even got licences etc.

Sociophobe,

Wind your neck in you disgusting oik!

Les-with an S

Last edited by Leslie; 11 December 2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11 December 2006, 01:36 PM
adturb
Scooby Newbie

The cars of today are far superior in terms of safety and speed. The speed limits have never been changed since they were first introduced. About 4 years ago there was an article in a car magazine which demonstated this by comparing the real world performace of a Ford zeyphr (a car when limits were introduced) and a 1.8 Ford focus. The braking distances stated in the highway code were accurate for the zeyphr, however the focus nearly halved all of them. Also worth mentioning that the zeyphr couldn't make it to 70! I think that slow drivers are FAR more dangerous that fast drivers. for example: 50MPH in the outside lane of a motorway is just plain stupid, people become irate and then that often leads to an accident. Altough the fault of the accident will be with the speeding driver, the cause will lie with the slow driver. I'm not encouraging people to drive at 150MPH, but 70 is just too slow on certain roads. Speed limits should reflect the world today, not yesterday. And on a final note, when people are granted a UK passport, they should have to take a UK driving test- anyone who uses the North Circular will know why!!!!
Just stepping down off my soapbox......
Old 11 December 2006, 01:41 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Unhappy

Originally Posted by adturb
The cars of today are far superior in terms of safety and speed. The speed limits have never been changed since they were first introduced.
Actually many speed limits have changed over the years, sadly the vast majority of those changed have been reduced.
Old 12 December 2006, 12:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

adturb,

Of course cars have changed for the better in terms of handling and performance. But people haven't changed in the same way. The improvement in cars does not go far enough to counteract the increased danger of driving at very high speeds on roads which are grossly overcrowded in comparison with the way the roads were not so many years ago. I remember when I could fall off my motorbike, get up, pick the bike up, inspect it for damage, and push it to the side of the road all before any other traffic came into sight!

The cars then did not have the high power and performance and were generally unlikely to reach the sort of speeds that one can these days with comparative ease in most family cars.

Despite how good you may think you are, human reactions and driving ability have not improved in the same way that cars have. Certainly not enough to justify driving too fast for modern roads in this country.

Les
Old 12 December 2006, 12:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adturb
Also worth mentioning that the zeyphr couldn't make it to 70! ......

WRONG!!!

I can remember doing more than 70 in a Zephyr 2.5Litre along the M4 ... that front bench seat saw some things
Old 12 December 2006, 12:56 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Bl**dy speeders you should be off the road