Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Your earliest memory ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2006, 08:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your earliest memory ?

Whats the earliest thing you can remember, I don't mean today, I mean ever.
Old 08 December 2006, 08:36 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probly the first time i rode a bike without stabalisers. i couldnt keep constant speed and just accelerated and crashed to the floor.
Old 08 December 2006, 08:45 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Fighting with a girl of the same age over a tufty doll (road safety campaign) made of paper and paper pins and 'SNAP' breaking my leg as it twisted around hers

I was about 4 I think, i remember everyone drawing on the plaster (do people still do that thesedays) and having the plaster removed and how i screamed thinking my leg was going to be sliced open

Probably the earliest thing i remember is sucking all the dye off christmas baubels with my sister, and putting holes in the plaster wall through the bars of my cot as it was xmas I would have been about 14 months old

and my sister & I throwing ourselves downstairs to see what it would feel like (funnily enough I never felt like doing it again, not deliberately at least) again was about 4 years old
Old 08 December 2006, 08:49 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i cant remember much anymore, as i get older i remember less
Old 08 December 2006, 08:55 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

beleive it or not falling out of a pram didnt remember untill i drove past location 30 odd years later felt very very strange (enclosed bus stop)
Old 08 December 2006, 08:59 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shooter007
beleive it or not falling out of a pram didnt remember untill i drove past location 30 odd years later felt very very strange (enclosed bus stop)
you must have been very young if you was in a pram, how can you remember things from that age?

when i used to remember things from when i was little my mum always said it didnt happen and that i had imagined it
Old 08 December 2006, 09:06 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Can remember stuff when i was around 2.
Old 08 December 2006, 09:13 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

I often think I can remember things from a very early age, then I realise I have just seen a photo of something as a child, and the memory I have is just the memory of looking at the photo!

I can remember my first mammory though - I was 14 and it was with a girl called Kelly on the back seat of a bus.
Old 08 December 2006, 09:14 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Old 08 December 2006, 09:19 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

i remember when i was about 6 i was in a toy car and spanked my head cutting it right open. i remember getting into a horrible black vw polo to go to hospital in with a leather steering wheel. and then having my head glued together, or was that the time i ran into a concrete post and knocked it down.

either way i have a 6th sense now whereas i see things before they happen in a series of events, so when they start to repeat in real time i change what i did in my vision. kinda weird but i live with it

andy
Old 08 December 2006, 09:23 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

you suffer from Ground Hog Day syndrome
Old 08 December 2006, 09:30 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i remember losing a £1 note in the wind off the side of a ferry on the Thames.i was 3-4 years old
Old 08 December 2006, 09:32 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
sorry can you repeat that.
Old 08 December 2006, 09:34 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Probably the earliest thing i remember is sucking all the dye off christmas baubels with my sister, and putting holes in the plaster wall through the bars of my cot as it was xmas I would have been about 14 months old
I'd be surprised if anyone could remember before 18-24 months because that's when "narrative memory" develops in the brain, it's simply not possible to remember earlier because the hippocampus isn't developed enough.
Old 08 December 2006, 09:37 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
sorry can you repeat that.
Old 08 December 2006, 09:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
sorry can you repeat that
Old 08 December 2006, 09:41 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Being in my cot, when a bee got it. Buzzing around my head. I remember crying until my mother killed it.

God knows how old i was, at least under 2, but that's my earliest memory.
Been scared of bee's and wasps ever since.
Old 08 December 2006, 09:43 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
sorry can you repeat that
its on repeat now
Old 08 December 2006, 09:49 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

I can remember having a nappy changed-but that was only other year
Old 08 December 2006, 10:17 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

My 1st vivd memory is that of watching the prototype DH 110 crash at the Farnborough Air Show on 6th September 1952. I was 4 years old at the time, but I can still see the aircraft breaking up over the airfield, as though it was yesterday.

The aircraft suddenly appeared over the airfield after diving from a great height, during which it produced a huge sonic boom. Then as it made a pass over the airfield at low altitude, it just broke up. There was no noise. One moment there was a plane. Then the next there were just a load of pieces fluttering to the ground, and the 2 engines just carried on for at least a mile before hitting the ground. One of them went into the watching crowd on a hill just outside the airfield. Dozens of spectators were killed.

I believe the show carried on, but we left.
Old 08 December 2006, 10:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlesW
My 1st vivd memory is that of watching the prototype DH 110 crash at the Farnborough Air Show on 6th September 1952. I was 4 years old at the time, but I can still see the aircraft breaking up over the airfield, as though it was yesterday.

The aircraft suddenly appeared over the airfield after diving from a great height, during which it produced a huge sonic boom. Then as it made a pass over the airfield at low altitude, it just broke up. There was no noise. One moment there was a plane. Then the next there were just a load of pieces fluttering to the ground, and the 2 engines just carried on for at least a mile before hitting the ground. One of them went into the watching crowd on a hill just outside the airfield. Dozens of spectators were killed.

I believe the show carried on, but we left.
Thats scary **** mate.
Old 08 December 2006, 10:54 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

when i was 3 on a fairground ride is scarborough, sat on a train merry-go-round convinced that if i didnt steer the train i was sat on, it would come off and crash into the sea with me in it...

I was screaming at the top of my lungs but my dad was just laughing and telling me to hold on tight - yeah that helped!!!
Old 08 December 2006, 10:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
when i was 3 on a fairground ride is scarborough, sat on a train merry-go-round convinced that if i didnt steer the train i was sat on, it would come off and crash into the sea with me in it...

I was screaming at the top of my lungs but my dad was just laughing and telling me to hold on tight - yeah that helped!!!

Is that why you bought a Scoob ?
Old 08 December 2006, 11:06 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Is that why you bought a Scoob ?
no but it does explain why Ive told the old b'stard he's going into the cheapest crappiest home I can find for him
Old 08 December 2006, 11:55 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I'd be surprised if anyone could remember before 18-24 months because that's when "narrative memory" develops in the brain, it's simply not possible to remember earlier because the hippocampus isn't developed enough.
the hippocampus seems nearly mature at birth, so hippocampal development is probably not at the heart of infantile amnesia.

the problem seems more to be memory retrieval than anything else

Its not a vivid memory I have of the event, more a couple of seconds, and fragmented too
Old 09 December 2006, 12:06 AM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember a bird shat in my packet of crisps once when I was a kid. Dont know if that came before or after I ate some pickled onions that had been stored outside under the carport for years, they made me really ill, still can't eat pickled onions to this day!

I also remember blowing the cooker up which sent me flying across the room with burnt hair & eyelashes in my eyes, oh & eating a whole bottle of junior asprins which strangley didn't make me sick

These were all very early memories but I can't put them in any order.
Old 09 December 2006, 10:21 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyone else find that they 'corrupt' memories, i.e. when you recall them little details get changed when you try to tremembr more about them and end up adding stuff ?

I was talking to my mum about when she heard Elvis had died, 1977 (I was six) and I remember it on the radio, I knew who Elvis was and I remember my mum and dad being shocked, we were in the back of the car going to Anglessey, I remember where we were on the road and what side of the car I was sat on, my mum was gobsmacked when I told her how much I remembered.
Old 09 December 2006, 11:05 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

I sometimes think I remember things but just fragments of goings on.

Around the age of 3 or 4 I can remember a few things.

I can remember going to nursery and I recall trying to hide and not go in on my first day of school (good start). I can also remember playing in the garden with a hosepipe when my Mum heard my Gran had died.

Defo can't remember anything before age 3.
Old 09 December 2006, 11:09 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About 4 years old and going out for a ride in my Dads banana yellow ford capri
Old 09 December 2006, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was at that Farnborough Air display at the same time as Charles when the DH110 broke up in the air. I was standing behind the 10 shilling enclosure with my dad and I was watching when it turned over the Black Sheds to do a very low fast flyby over the crowds as they all used to. It suddenly pitched vertically nose up and I saw cracks appearing over the fuselage and wings. I saw the engines and a couple of wheels go past at about 150 feet and they crashed into the crowds behind us on the hill. The nose section fell into the 10 bob enclosure and killed a good many people. I was being squashed and carried by the crowd which was frightening for a young lad and when the fuselage hit the ground the shock lifted us off the ground!

After that the red Hunter did its sonic boom demo and a fly past and everyone was well and truly twitched about it.

They used to do a very low flypast at such a high speed over the crowd that you could hear the vortices off the wings making a singing noise after they were past us. That was forbidden after that accident.

The regulations for air displays now is that the aircraft must stay at least 1500 feet away from the crowd line while they are displaying.

Les

Quick Reply: Your earliest memory ?