Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pensions

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2006, 12:56 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pensions

Just sent off cheque for my annual SIPP contribution. If I die young, I'll be very displeased
Old 29 November 2006, 01:14 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

lol - I'm hoping I live to a ripe old age. My gran died last month.... at the amazing age of 102 (nearly 103), so hopefully, it's hereditary!!

Dan
Old 29 November 2006, 01:17 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Wow that is a good innings. I do intend to get my money's worth.

Right, just nipping out for a smoke... DOH!
Old 29 November 2006, 03:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have just seen an article which says that if you pay voluntary extra pension contributions, they will take your money, but the pension will be the same for everyone after 2012 and you will not get a refund of the extra cash you paid them.

Les
Old 29 November 2006, 03:32 PM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

You guys all work your socks till your 65(thats if you make it), then enjoy the 15 years(average life expectancy) spending your extra fifty quid a week. Personally this country gets more and more like communist china each day.

My advice save up then at ripe of age of fifty before your old fella goes south, get a one way ticket to Thailand and enjoy. No ladyboys though
Old 29 November 2006, 03:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I've cut my Pension right back. Hardly pay anything into it now, about £55/month. It was losing a fortune in it.
I think I need £1.5m in the fund to get the equivalent of £20k per annum when I retire.
With ever increasing bills, something has to give. Plowing £300+ a month into something that was losing money, it was a no brainer.

I'm now relying on the Lottery for my pension. Plus I hope I drop down dead on my 70th Birthday.
Old 29 November 2006, 04:02 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Why was your pension losing money? Easily fixed...
Old 29 November 2006, 04:03 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
I've cut my Pension right back. Hardly pay anything into it now, about £55/month. It was losing a fortune in it.
I think I need £1.5m in the fund to get the equivalent of £20k per annum when I retire.
With ever increasing bills, something has to give. Plowing £300+ a month into something that was losing money, it was a no brainer.

I'm now relying on the Lottery for my pension. Plus I hope I drop down dead on my 70th Birthday.
agree with you there, i was in line for £3.5k a year back from mine so im going to cancel it and just buy lotto tickets! wasting my money putting anymore into it!
Old 29 November 2006, 04:07 PM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

That tosspot brown tells us all to save for our future but WTF with? HE takes all our fecking dosh and gives it to illegal immigrants or chavscum. Last thing i want is to put all my hard earned into a 'safe' pension then find some gungho **** like Leeson or Maxwell has decided to fritter it up against the one legged horse at Newmarket
Old 29 November 2006, 04:12 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Why was your pension losing money? Easily fixed...
Put in £3500+ a year into a fund. Have less than £3500+ a year extra in your fund, and you've lost money.

First 2 years of my Pension, I was getting a return of about 27%. After that it was nowhere near, then running at a loss. It might have picked up now, but to be honest I don't care. Don't have the money to put into it now.

I needed an increase of 12% a year to reach my target. When the Government had there Pension review, I needed 15% each year. Wasn't getting either.

My original pension plan was also to increase my payments 6% every year. That would now be about £350-400 a month now. Just stupid considering everything costs more.
Old 29 November 2006, 04:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Curse of the Rushing Gimp
That tosspot brown tells us all to save for our future but WTF with? HE takes all our fecking dosh and gives it to illegal immigrants or chavscum. Last thing i want is to put all my hard earned into a 'safe' pension then find some gungho **** like Leeson or Maxwell has decided to fritter it up against the one legged horse at Newmarket
Right. How are you supposed to save when Gas and Electricity bills are rising soo much. Petrol prices, extra taxes here and there. They want to introduce road pricing etc. Then if people work from home, they'll want to Tax you for that, as your now paying Tax by driving to work and back every day.

Then when you do save, the claim Tax on your savings, make you pay for your own care when you need to go into a home. Why? Because you saved some money. Then when you die they slap your family with inheritance Tax, as most homes now qualify.
Old 29 November 2006, 04:22 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I'm really looking forward to old age.Selling my home to pay the care home fees.

Had a pension fund and was told would retire on 2/3 final income.....

Then 50%.....

etc etc.I have no faith in pensions.Nor does anyone I speak too(except Financial Advisors)
Old 29 November 2006, 05:40 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Poor old guy i worked with, he paid extra into his pension (final salary) for years, always paid the maximum amount etc and was left with a very nice £30k p/a pension as a result....after many many years whittling and worrying and stressing about it. He died less than Six months after he retired
That seems very unfair, but at least he had peace-of-mind for his future whilst he was still around.
Old 29 November 2006, 07:05 PM
***Nemesis***
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
That seems very unfair, but at least he had peace-of-mind for his future whilst he was still around.
and also almost certainly a nice fat tax free cheque when he retired and a pension for life for his widow. Not that bad value for money.