Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Your Views on buying abroad

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2006, 09:48 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Views on buying abroad

cant afford to buy a house in this country at the moment but i read the other day a lot of first time buyers are buying abroad in places like Bulgaria, Keeping these for a few years renting them out and then selling them on for a profit.

I do no someone that bought a year ago and he reckons its gone up by about 20k already. Don't no weather this is true.

What are your views on this am i to late.

thanks
Old 28 November 2006, 10:06 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Its a risk vs reward situation, the bigger the risks the bigger the reward.

If you are willing to do research into the market and legalities of another country it can work well. A huge return can involve a huge risk, you could lose it all.
If you are not risk averse you could just bet it on a 3/1 on horse win= 33% return and lose at least its quick

hth.
Old 28 November 2006, 10:26 AM
orbix
Scooby Regular

cant afford to buy a house in this country at the moment but i read the other day a lot of first time buyers are buying abroad in places like Bulgaria, Keeping these for a few years renting them out and then selling them on for a profit.
Considering the options of a FTB nowadays I would say this is one of the better options however as already mentioned do your home work.
I wouldn't buy in Bulgaria look else where.

If you are not risk averse you could just bet it on a 3/1 on horse win= 33% return and lose at least its quick
If the odds are 3/1 and it wins doesn't it return 300% profit?
Anyway you'll be better betting against it the odds are in your favour.
Old 28 November 2006, 10:37 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by orbix
Considering the options of a FTB nowadays I would say this is one of the better options however as already mentioned do your home work.
I wouldn't buy in Bulgaria look else where.

If the odds are 3/1 and it wins doesn't it return 300% profit?
Anyway you'll be better betting against it the odds are in your favour.

3/1 on.

Gives a 33% return. As well as your stake.
Old 28 November 2006, 10:51 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

I'd steer well clear of Bulgaria. Best bets IMHO are Morocco, Poland, Romania, Turkey still but only in the beach areas and even mid France. We bought in Spain 18 months ago and have seen a 60% price rise though to be fair we have renovated our property during that time wiping out possibly half the profit mark-up (but still a good return). Buying in areas where there are lot's of Germans currently is also a good bet as they are still selling in droves because of tax issues and the state of their economy. Even here in Spain you can snap up some really good buys at the moment (less than £100k) in German ex-pat areas.

Russ
Old 28 November 2006, 12:01 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

biggest fear i would have at the moment is that flights to these countrys are cheap at the moment but if fuel prices and the green lobby effect these then it would be a bit of a liability owning abroad from a rental/holiday point of veiw.What happens when fuel runs out in the next 30 years or so
Old 28 November 2006, 12:27 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

And what happens when the money and easy credit runs out in the UK. Given that the Brits have one of the biggest appetites for buying property it could have a significant effect.
Old 28 November 2006, 12:52 PM
Spring Heeled Jack
Scooby Regular

Location: was he a creature, an alien, or a man wearing some strange costume and a hidden jumping apparatus

The problem is that when all the new Green Taxes kick in we will see an end to the cheap air flights that made all this possible.

These markets will vanish as quickly as they were created.

(snap - powerman1)
Old 28 November 2006, 01:12 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by vallumlj
cant afford to buy a house in this country at the moment but i read the other day a lot of first time buyers are buying abroad
Buying in this country gives you a home, potential financial gains are a side effect. Buying abroad gives you a high risk investment which could be very time consuming. The two should not be confused