Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Slavery

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2006, 04:59 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slavery

This really annoys me. Blair has shown a weakness by expressing "sorrow" and now of course they will all pounce on that weakness and go for compensation.

The very worst of the slave-traders were (and still are today) the blacks themselves.

It just stuns me that this is happening for events that occurred over 200 years ago and that started 600 years ago.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/eu...eut/index.html
Old 27 November 2006, 05:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe his Tonyness would like to apologise to the families of all the dead Iraqis that his actions have had a direct impact on
Old 27 November 2006, 05:20 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

It just stuns me that this is happening for events that occurred over 200 years ago
they will all pounce on that weakness and go for compensation.
I'll be surprised if 1 person claims for compensation, actually.
Do you get many 200+ year olds round your way?!
Old 27 November 2006, 05:26 PM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

He'll be appologising for the ruddy crusades next. FFS this happened hundreds of years ago, who do we compensate, their great, great, great, great, great, great grand children, I don't think we can be accused of treating them too badly these days. There are a lot of them here having a better way of life than they would if they were in Africa. I personally have donated a few quid to try and help out with famine etc over the years.

I think we should seek an appology from the Roman's, what did they ever do for us?? Ok apart from the roads, drainage etc..... They came over here moved in, shagged our great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandmothers causing some of us to have large noses.
Old 27 November 2006, 05:32 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Who is that excellent black lady MP who said what a load of tosh apologising was?
Old 27 November 2006, 05:38 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
The very worst of the slave-traders were (and still are today) the blacks themselves.
Phew, that's a relief, I really thought slavery was a bad thing, but if the worst traders are black than that makes it perfectly OK then.

Rannoch
Old 27 November 2006, 05:38 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I thought slavery still existed. How else do ASDA sell a pair of jeans for £3.

Chip
Old 27 November 2006, 05:45 PM
Spring Heeled Jack
Scooby Regular

Location: was he a creature, an alien, or a man wearing some strange costume and a hidden jumping apparatus

So Tony Blair expresses "deep sorrow" for something that happened 200 years ago.

Could he also express "deep sorrow" for the failing schools and hospitals that we have been taxed so heavily for.

Could he express "deep sorrow" for the deaths in Iraq that are happening on his watch ( he cannot say that he wasn't warned of the consequences beforehand).

Could he finally express "deep sorrow" for a civil servant who allegedly committed suicide under the indecent pressure that was put on him?
Old 27 November 2006, 05:49 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Phew, that's a relief, I really thought slavery was a bad thing, but if the worst traders are black than that makes it perfectly OK then.

Rannoch
Of course not, but the only lame-*** people to apologise and be weak about it is the British Government.

Instead of pursuing apologies they would be better off spending their time fighting for the elimination of slavery in Africa today.

What about th descendants of slaves in Roman or Viking Britain?
Old 27 November 2006, 05:54 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Current Brits are no more responsible for the horror of slavery than young Germans are for the holocaust.

Hence an apology is pointless.
Old 27 November 2006, 05:54 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

what you so upset about !?

People claiming money you dont think they are entitled to or is that you dont think the black community or what ever affecting community it was deserve some kind of appology for what happened.

What if a high ranking German politician appoligised for the effects of the second world war would you think that was wrong and the jewish people shouldnt get anything ?. I think your issues are one of greed or race my friend.
Old 27 November 2006, 05:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Don't worry, KiwiGTi, this is just Bliar re-inventing himself as an ambassador of peace, not a war-mongerer. He's been doing it for the last two weeks, pretty much since it was obvious that his master's voice, Dubya, was going to get mauled in the USA

No-one with one iota of sense would believe 99.9% of what Bliar says anyway

Alcazar
Old 27 November 2006, 05:59 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Gving a appology now is silly after such a long time, its like appologising to Jack the rippers victums.
Old 27 November 2006, 06:00 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Originally Posted by Jonno_johnson
Gving a appology now is silly after such a long time, its like appologising to Jack the rippers victums.
That's tomorrow's apology
Old 27 November 2006, 06:04 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see Norway recompensing the inhabitants of Northumberland for all that raping and pillaging circ 900AD. Or maybe the Italians should apologise for crucifying Jesus?

Frankly, the whole thing is a joke, and a sad comment on society nowadays.
Old 27 November 2006, 07:20 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
I thought slavery still existed. How else do ASDA sell a pair of jeans for £3.

Chip
Or if Asda can sell them for £3, how can sticking the "right" badge on them let them sell for £150... that's got to be far more criminal than trading slaves 200+ years ago

John.
Old 27 November 2006, 07:38 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

When will the Norwegians apologies for the Vikings?
Old 27 November 2006, 08:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

thats all he can do. he has no legacy to leave behind. His 3 R,s educashun plans have gone to rat sh*t, 64million is spent on the dole each year with no improvements or proof of getting people back to work.
HE failed to save the NHS, despite telling us he would, now after 9 years and billions pumped into it, he,s making people redundant as part of the great reform.

Errmm shouldnt that have been done 9 years ago, and then rebuild the system?? not blow it out of all proportions and then try to perform open damage limitation.

expect the adverts to start soon

"Are you of xxxxx origin, did your great great great grand parents come form this country, then you may be owed money, after the abolishion of slavery etc....Claimscash direct will take the case for you no win no fee........

call now... remember they are sorry !!!

mart :
Old 27 November 2006, 08:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by orbix
I'll be surprised if 1 person claims for compensation, actually.
Do you get many 200+ year olds round your way?!
There was a Black woman on the BBC news this morning calling for Financial compensation. Why? Because the slave trade took away her Heritage.
She was in a nice new suit, had just left her comfortable 4 Bedroom London House. She would have drove to the BBC studio in her BMW, then gone back to her £45K per year job. We (or our ancestors) took away her heritage. She'd rather be walking Barefoot in Africa, living in mud hut. She's right. Let's give them compensation

The funny thing is, well sad thing is, is that no doubt if the form a group to sue the Government for Compensation, they'll probably get Legal aid to do it. There will be Solicitor standing in a Que to take on the case. Why? Money. They'll make a mint on it, as something like this will go on for years.

What a ******* country
Old 27 November 2006, 09:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes indeed, I am keeping my Negro away from that infernal television, lest he want compensation which would be damned inconvenient as I couldnt keep him on after that and good houseboys are so hard to find, dont you find, In fact its time for his beating.

I have some Irish heritage somewhere, I am getting a claim in for the Potato famine, apparently a hint of Spanish (via Cornwall) so I am in touch with 'Inquisition Lawyers 4 me'.

FFS, heritage my ****, just after making a fast buck, everybody knows it and it suggests a lack of dignity trying to capitalise on events that befell your ancestors, nice try, stick to whiplash claims.
Old 27 November 2006, 10:50 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Er,

shouldn't it be America who are apologising??

Wasn't it they who actually used (and abused) the slaves? We just shipped and sold 'em?

And wasn't slavery still legal in many US states until very recently?

Blair is getting out of control

mb
Old 27 November 2006, 11:01 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

To whoever the very thick and stupid person who posted this on my reputation for my contribution to this thread: -

"**** - pslewis"

it is very obvious that a) you are rather sad; b) you are so obviously not PSL and c) for not realising I could definitively tell you weren't PSL you would have to qualify as pretty thick.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic Kiwi.

Rannoch
Old 27 November 2006, 11:11 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bateman
what you so upset about !?

What if a high ranking German politician appoligised for the effects of the second world war would you think that was wrong and the jewish people shouldnt get anything ?. I think your issues are one of greed or race my friend.
What nonsense. I feel very strongly against racism, but see no point in modern politicians apologising for what happened before our grandfathers'
grandfathers walked the Earth. We are not responsible for their actions.

As it happens a high ranking German politician did apoligise for the holocaust (and rightly so), but the point is the politician was Willi Brandt and he made his apology over 30 years ago. He at least had been alive at the time of the events he was apologising for !
Old 28 November 2006, 07:29 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
now of course they will all pounce on that weakness and go for compensation.
Well the compensation thing is easy, all that needs to be done is to arrange for anyone who claims it to get:

a, Citizenship to the african nation of their choice.
b, Their British passports recinded
c, Their flight 'home' booked

Oh yeah, they can leave anything they own over here behind too, because that's ill gotten gains

Yes Tony, slavery was (and still is) a bad thing, but there are more important things you should be worrying about at the moment than stuff that happened over two centuries ago
Old 28 November 2006, 07:33 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
What nonsense. I feel very strongly against racism, but see no point in modern politicians apologising for what happened before our grandfathers'
grandfathers walked the Earth. We are not responsible for their actions.

As it happens a high ranking German politician did apoligise for the holocaust (and rightly so), but the point is the politician was Willi Brandt and he made his apology over 30 years ago. He at least had been alive at the time of the events he was apologising for !
There are some friends of my Grandfather who would quite like to see the Japanese apologise for their despicable actions during the second world war Maybe Bliar could slip that one up his agenda whilst he's on his 'man of peace' junket
Old 28 November 2006, 07:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

As regards compensation, surely any court with any sense, (so not in the UK then ), would have to look at what the person's lifestyle WOULD have been, had they stayed in Africa, and what it is now?

Most of them would end up paying the UK, so perhaps it's not a bad thing.................that scruffy Scots pension thief needs all the money he can get........

Alcazar
Old 28 November 2006, 08:16 AM
Ignored
BANNED

Ignored again!

New username coming right up!

Last edited by Ignored; 28 November 2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 28 November 2006, 08:41 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Surely your average Black American should be thanking us for getting them out of the ****hole that is Africa
Old 28 November 2006, 08:43 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
There are some friends of my Grandfather who would quite like to see the Japanese apologise for their despicable actions during the second world war Maybe Bliar could slip that one up his agenda whilst he's on his 'man of peace' junket
Agreed that the Japanese should apologse for the beheading, raping, setting on fire etc of over 300,000 people Nanking in 1937 (to the Chinese).

They should also apologise to us for the beatings and starvation our POW's were subjected to 1942-45, along with the rape of so called "comfort women".

~ I suppose it's a matter of remoteness. Slavery was a complete disgrace, but took place too long ago for us to apologise for it.

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 28 November 2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 28 November 2006, 08:43 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jasey
Surely your average Black American should be thanking us for getting them out of the ****hole that is Africa
Yep, you don't see them all rushing back there , home is where the heart is

Quick Reply: Slavery