Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anybody help...

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2006, 09:39 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody help...

hi peoples. after getting knocked back by the bank manager i was looking at a cheap hot hatch as a replacement for my naff diesel. heres a link, not an advertisement (for the admins)...

eBay.co.uk: PEUGEOT 205 GTI BLACK (WITH POWER STEERING) (item 190053247220 end time 28-Nov-06 20:47:09 GMT)

what do people think. im looking at a straight swap for my 96 n-plate pug 106 1.5diesel, as i bought it very recently for £850 anyway. looked at all the pics in detail and has lots of history and new parts.

i need something a bit quicker than what i have currently, and any help would be appreciated. the person selling seems interested but awaiting a reply

many thanx

andy
Old 24 November 2006, 10:06 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Looks ok in the pictures.
If its quite local its worth a look surely. At that age/ mileage I suppose its going to always be a unknown quantity so to speak.

If the bank manager hadn't knocked you back what car were you looking for?
Old 24 November 2006, 10:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Looks ok in the pictures.
If its quite local its worth a look surely. At that age/ mileage I suppose its going to always be a unknown quantity so to speak.

If the bank manager hadn't knocked you back what car were you looking for?
third impreza. had two after passing my test. wrote first one off and engine died on the second. i live 186.3 miles away, hence as much advice as possible, as chances are il be going in one car and coming back in another...

andy
Old 24 November 2006, 10:18 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm not sure Andy.
Looking at his ebay history he is clearly a trader (part time possibly). Not sure I believe his reason for sale if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong the car might well be straight and he's selling to make a few quid but I wouldn't be too keen personally.

Bet you could be sure of getting your trusty motor to him. I wouldn't be too sure on the 205 being as relaible on the way back.

Dont mean to put you off buddy.
Old 24 November 2006, 10:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Mmmmm not sure Andy.
Looking at his ebay history he is clearly a trader (part time possibly). Not sure I believe his reason for sale if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong the car might well be straight and he's selling to make a few quid but I wouldn't be too keen personally.

Bet you could be sure of getting your trusty motor to him. I wouldn't be too sure on the 205 being as relaible on the way back.

Dont mean to put you off buddy.
you reckon as i didnt see like many cars and that in the history after giving it the once over to be sure myself. i wonder if its ok mechanically, however it passed an m.o.t. on tuesday this week... or could that be dubious... i wonder if he/she is selling it via autotrader too?

andy.

p.s. still interested but i will be careful with an older car.

have seen his early feedbcaks and his sales of cars. i suppose il ask whether hes a part time trader etc. if they get arsey il walk away...

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 24 November 2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 24 November 2006, 10:27 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Buys alot of car stuff in a short space of time. Set of clocks etc; then note he has bought some invoice software and some stamps etc. Probably completely innocent I know..................I'm always looking for the worse in people

Guess if you do all the standard checks etc you'd be ok. Why dont you send a PM to the 205 boys on here and see what they think of it. (ScoobyJawa and Gutman Pug to name two)

Think your bank manager has a lot to answer for
If you've been a good boy you could always ask Santa for one
Old 24 November 2006, 10:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

looking into it a little further, hes bought a couple of 205 parts himself, so maybe hes bought the car needing a little work on the cheap and is looking to sell for a few quid profit. good if the cars ok now, bad if its to cover up long term damage. il ask plenty of questions anyway...

andy
Old 25 November 2006, 07:32 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

bump for the early shift
Old 25 November 2006, 12:32 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Replied to your PM mate
Old 25 November 2006, 12:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

thanx read and replied with even more questions lol...

andy
Old 25 November 2006, 12:43 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Andy, if you are going to see this car can you take someone with experience with you as we all know you dont like your current pug, and a nice fast(ish) car can cloud your judgement when hankerering after the fun factor again.
A third party view with no rose tinted glasses can be invaluable when making a descision.
Just be wary of anyone selling a car that is not on the logbook as the owner for at least a period of time, genuine traders will declare themselves as its the law.
If the history can be verified and the mot station confirms the genuine mot and the HPI is clear and the car looks and drives well it seems like it might suit you.
Old 25 November 2006, 12:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
Andy, if you are going to see this car can you take someone with experience with you as we all know you dont like your current pug, and a nice fast(ish) car can cloud your judgement when hankerering after the fun factor again.
A third party view with no rose tinted glasses can be invaluable when making a descision.
Just be wary of anyone selling a car that is not on the logbook as the owner for at least a period of time, genuine traders will declare themselves as its the law.
If the history can be verified and the mot station confirms the genuine mot and the HPI is clear and the car looks and drives well it seems like it might suit you.
yeah for the cost i was thinking about a hpi check. depends if the person is interested in having my car as a swap first. if not then im not taking it any further. how long does a hpi take to do??

andy
Old 25 November 2006, 12:50 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
yeah for the cost i was thinking about a hpi check. depends if the person is interested in having my car as a swap first. if not then im not taking it any further. how long does a hpi take to do??

andy
Instant, you need the reg. no. (chassis no from the car not the docs although they should be the same).is helpfull as well.
Old 25 November 2006, 12:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

right well what il do is when they get in touch, if its a goer il just say bluntly, "would i have the reg and chassis no. please as id like to do a hpi check for piece of mind"... if they get arsey, il leave it at that. quite simple. they are welcome to do the same on my car, its got loads and loads of reciepts etc with it. just need somebody competant in cars to go with... rules all my mates out then,

cheers

andy
Old 25 November 2006, 12:58 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a plan

Good luck.
Old 25 November 2006, 01:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

i was recently sent some links to 205gti buyers guides, so will print them off and have a read, take em with me too. im not getting shafted with another shed like my last scoob...
Old 25 November 2006, 01:08 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

wouldnt be a better option if your current car is in good working order, to keep it as you will save loads of money, have piece of mind cos you know your car and that way you will end up getting another scoob sooner!!
Old 25 November 2006, 01:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B9GLY
wouldnt be a better option if your current car is in good working order, to keep it as you will save loads of money, have piece of mind cos you know your car and that way you will end up getting another scoob sooner!!
nope as ive taken as much as i can from it. its far too slow and i would like something a little nippier even if its an older car. insurance wise its not a great deal more, and im looking at another scoob for june july time anyway.

its my own fault from going from a scoob to a diesel. scoobs were all i owned after passing my driving test in march and i need something faster, as its really depressing me.

andy
Old 25 November 2006, 02:55 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

well not heard anything regards the car, and its been removed from ebay, so im not sure whether its sold or has been maybe saved for me. not clutching onto straws anyway. the serach continues for a replacement... ah well.

andy