Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Freedom .............

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2006, 12:33 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Freedom .............

For me personal freedom is important, the potential introduction of ID cards would seem to be a huge erosion of personal liberty, the gathering of DNA to put on a National database, the comments made by Blair about him wanting a national DNA database, his further comments about the possibility of 'chipping' citizens, the black box in your car, tracking every move, checking your speed and charging you wherever you go..... The ability for Council snoopers to enter your home and take photographs.
Its all a bit too far, we are already the most spied upon nation in the World. It seems to me that the cry of 'Show me your papers' should not be heard in the UK. We are turning into a Nation where the people are responsible to the Government and not the Government answerable to the people. I know where Labour stand on all these things, having written and got their responses. Heres the reply from David Camerons office ......... make your own mind up.

As you know, the Government brought back the Identity Cards Bill that failed to pass before the last General Election. The Bill will pave the way for a national system of ID cards linked to biometric passports.

Following pressure from Conservative Peers in the House of Lords (which repeatedly blocked the Bill), the Government have now been forced to make important concessions on the legislation. The Bill will now pass into law.

Under the original plans, the Home Office had wanted to force everyone to buy an ID card when they apply for a new passport from 2008. The effect of the agreement in the House of Lords is that there will now be an opt-out from having to receive a card until the year 2010.

In our view, it is important to realise what this concession will mean. Essentially, nobody who does not want to have an identity card before the next general election will have to have one. As David Davis MP, the Shadow Home Secretary, has rightly pointed out, this represents a major climb-down by the Government.

This remains, however, a very poor scheme. On cost, there is a massive bill of £19 billion. On effectiveness, it will fail to stop terrorism, illegal immigration, fraud and ID theft. On privacy, all our fears have been confirmed: it is still a massive reversal of the proper relationship between the citizen and the state. A recent Commons science and technology committee has also said that Government plans to introduce ID cards are "inconsistent" and "lacking clarity".

The Government has also admitted that ID cards would not have prevented the bombings in London on 7 July 2005. The money being spent on them could fund 20,000 police officers, a massive increase in the security services, or 24-hour security at our ports.

Gordon Brown has said that ID cards will stop the use of multiple identities, which will in turn aid in combating terrorism but the ID card co-ordinators don't share the Chancellor's optimism. Katherine Courtney, the ID Card Programme Director, and Ian Watmore, the Chief Information Officer, have acknowledged that biometric matching won't be infallible. In the case of one-to-many matching, which is needed to prevent people registering two or more identities, the technology is still unproven. 'No one has proven the technology on anything like the scale required by the card...We need to do further testing on one-to-many' (The Guardian, 15 September 2005).

The compromise that has been reached will defer some of worst aspects of the scheme, but will not solve its fundamental problems. For this reason, David Davis has made it clear that if the Conservative Party wins the next election and he takes over as Home Secretary, his first act will be to do away with the Bill.

Yours sincerely,

Alice Sheffield

David Cameron's Office
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA
Old 21 November 2006, 12:37 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Translation - "Please vote for us".

Anyone knows that whatever the opposition promise, once they get into power they will say "Ah, but the situation has changed now, and due to new important reasons we're going ahead with it."

Cynic, moi?
Old 21 November 2006, 12:37 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Read the title and pictured 1000 jocks in kilts charging down a boggy hill
Old 21 November 2006, 12:39 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's New Labour.
Old 21 November 2006, 12:40 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When his Tonyness is questioned over cash for peerages, I certainly hope he will have HIS DNA taken by the police and kept on file
Old 21 November 2006, 12:42 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Read the title and pictured 1000 jocks in kilts charging down a boggy hill
Old 21 November 2006, 01:13 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Me too!

"They may take our live....but they'll never take....our...."
Old 21 November 2006, 01:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
When his Tonyness is questioned over cash for peerages, I certainly hope he will have HIS DNA taken by the police and kept on file
I've read somewhere that his DNA is on file as he volunteered it.

Yes, welcome to the police state. Every one of life's little enjoyments from a cigarette in the local pub to the 'spirited' safe drive will be quashed one by one until a life turns into an existance.
Old 22 November 2006, 11:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If that!

Les
Old 22 November 2006, 03:30 PM
NeilDown&PhilMee
Scooby Regular

I'm happy to give my DNA to any (good looking) female police officer, but she'll have to be on her knees and do all the work to get it.
Old 22 November 2006, 03:41 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

im not a fan of these id cards its just another way for them to be watching every move we make. i'll emigrate to a different country before i'll have one of them