Using credit cards on web stores - security code

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2006, 10:09 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using credit cards on web stores - security code

Hello

I recently purchased some wine from Laithwaites online store on the web. I forgot to enter the 3 digit code for my card (on the strip on the back) when i did the order but it seemed to go through. So i called Laithwaites to check and they told me that although the security code function is there, if you dont put anything in it, it still works.

My wife tried this with 2 other online shops yesterday and both let her purchase without putting the security code in (Mothercare and Blooming Marvellous). Its great that the companeis go on about this increased credit card security, but if its not enforced then what is the bloody point ! I would be interested to see if anyone else has seen this.

Dave
Old 22 November 2006, 10:20 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I sell some stuff and take card orders over the phone which I clear through a terminal. I got a whole pile of papers about security codes blah blah but have never once been asked for this number when entering a card number for clearance. dl
Old 22 November 2006, 10:22 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I was in Morrison's a couple weeks ago, when a young couple were paying for their shopping. Everything had gone through, and they were asked to pay. The young lass got a credit card out of her purse and then informed the cashier that she couldn't remember her pin number. "That's Fine" was the response, as she swept the card through the machine.

Once they'd left and I stepped up to the till I made a comment saying on the lines of, hope that wasn't a stolen card they've just used, as that's what chip & pin was designed to stop. She just shrugged her shoulders and looked dumb. WTF is the point in having chip & pin, if retail outlets are letting people get away without having to use it.

This is why the criminal always wins.
Old 22 November 2006, 12:15 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I think the point about chip & PIN is less to do with increased security and more about banks shifting liability for fraudulent transactions from themselves to the retailers.

John.
Old 22 November 2006, 01:35 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

we have a machine at work for c/c payments. Mail order with the security code or customer on the premises with their pin we are then covered against fraudulent transactions. Without them we are not so if it goes wrong the bank will issue a charge back to us .

No pin or 3 digit code = no deal for our customers.
Old 22 November 2006, 02:02 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

our site doesn't actually do any verification - it's all done by hand after you place the order.

Perhaps the others are the same?
Old 22 November 2006, 02:05 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
we have a machine at work for c/c payments. Mail order with the security code or customer on the premises with their pin we are then covered against fraudulent transactions. Without them we are not so if it goes wrong the bank will issue a charge back to us .

No pin or 3 digit code = no deal for our customers.
I think you will find they can still take the money back even if you have the 3 digit security code, address match etc etc

my rep always tells me:

"you can ALWAYS lose the money"!
Old 22 November 2006, 03:15 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I think you will find they can still take the money back even if you have the 3 digit security code, address match etc etc

my rep always tells me:

"you can ALWAYS lose the money"!
you are probulary right but it is about as safe as we can make it. At least if the security details are confirmed as matched we have a fair chance to keep the money
Old 22 November 2006, 04:25 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
you are probulary right but it is about as safe as we can make it. At least if the security details are confirmed as matched we have a fair chance to keep the money
Yep your right, but I have written on my machine "We can always lose the money" just to keep me cautious"

I have currenlty got a chargeback trying to go through for a couple who are arguing over there possesions who have broken up