Completion Date, Can I move in?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2006, 03:32 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completion Date, Can I move in?

Hi guys.

Bought a new build and the date of completion is on the 24th of this month. Contracts were exchanged a couple of months ago and all solicitors fees and stamp duty was paid on friday. Does this mean I get the keys on the 24th or is there another load of crap i've go to sort out before getting my mitts on the keys?
Old 12 November 2006, 03:34 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

is the house finished?
Old 12 November 2006, 03:35 PM
sociopath
BANNED

Are you having a laugh? You have just undertaken possibly the biggest investment of your miserable life and you don't even know what your contractual obligations/privileges are?
Old 12 November 2006, 03:36 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

its yours at midday when you pick the keys up...good luck in your new home
Old 12 November 2006, 03:44 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
is the house finished?
Well its finished on the 17th and Completion is on the 24th but wasn't sure if you moved in then or if you had to wait for the mortgage funds to clear with the developer.
Old 12 November 2006, 03:44 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
Thanks mate.
Old 12 November 2006, 04:33 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
Ummmm... no it isn't.

It's yours when the cash has been paid to the developers and they release the keys to you...

... .which could be midday (which is when many people aim for, when buying along a chain of buyers/sellers) but could also be 9am, 10am, 11:27am, or any other time! Your solicitor should advise you on the day... or you camp out at the Estate Agent's / Developer's offices and wait, patiently....

Good luck!
Old 12 November 2006, 05:16 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades
Ummmm... no it isn't.

or you camp out at the Estate Agent's / Developer's offices and wait, patiently....

Good luck!
Don't be giving me ideas!
Old 12 November 2006, 05:30 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

As soon as their solicitors have informed yours that the funds have transferred (completion day) then the keys are yours!

Happy moving
Old 12 November 2006, 06:13 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

The best bit of advice I can give you after I bought a new build ...

Get round as soon as it's finished on the 17th and go over the place with a fine tooth comb. Check everything fits, works and all is painted properly. This means

Cooker and other appliances (eg, washing machine plumbed in)
Hot running water
Doors and windows fit and lock properly and the handles don't fall off
Toilets flush and aren't blocked with bloody Mastick. Check for leaks.
Check the window frames and (I kid you not) check there are no gaps where you can see to the outside.
Walls are painted and plastered smoothly. Check for pencil marks - a sign that the wall has not been plastered or repainted properly
Check kitchen cabinet doors are not loose or missing screws.
Check for coving in the right places (amazing how easy it is to miss a section)

Seriously spend a couple of hours checking everything and draw up a snag list. It feels weird when the place is empty - but you'll be surprised what you find.

Then get the site manager or the friendly sales person (who all of a sudden is no longer so responsive now they have your money) to walk round with you as you show them each item on your list. Suggest that they make their own notes and that you'll be putting yours in writing. State that the problems must be fixed by completion (24th). You expect nothing less for your money. Do not be fobbed off by excuses - put everything in writing and hand deliver ASAP if need be.

On the 24th get the site manager to walk round and demonstrate that the problems have been resolved. Then sign the paperwork.

Play hard ball!!!! Do not be suckered by the sales persons attitude that until this point has no doubt been all sweetness and light. Remember it is your money.

Last edited by James Neill; 12 November 2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12 November 2006, 06:22 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I completely agree with the above. In addition, do the same thing 3 and 6 months later so that you can get those repaired quickly as well.

Steve
Old 12 November 2006, 07:33 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Perfectly put Neil.
I've seen some houses full of post it notes on all the faults
Kin hilarious... but dam right to do so.

We were called in to make handrails for a full length window that opened... two stories up..
The mind boggles that no one would think.. hang on a minute... no balcony.

Andy
Old 12 November 2006, 08:46 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

When you go round on the 17th, insist that they set the heating so that it's on for a period each day to stop the pipework freezing if there's a cold spell.

John.
Old 12 November 2006, 09:07 PM
MJB2
Scooby Regular

I agree with James Neill, I have got the t-shirt as well!
For the first week or so my builders never read the gas and electric meters so test everything well. eg fill the bath, test the heating etc....

I would leave your window vents open to let the place dry out.

I have also heard about the post it note thing, go round the whole house and stick post it notes on all paint work defects. The sales people will be nice as pie at the moment, when you get your keys they seem to change. Dont take no crap and no matter how minor the fault is, get them to fix it as it will have cost you a hell of a lot of cash. I ended up doing a lot of stuff myself but looking back i should have sat on my **** and got the numpties back.

If they dont fix your problems quickly, a quick call to head office and my site manager came running and kissing my **** within 30mins i kid you not.

Whens the house warming? Enjoy!
Old 13 November 2006, 12:33 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulg1979
Well its finished on the 17th and Completion is on the 24th but wasn't sure if you moved in then or if you had to wait for the mortgage funds to clear with the developer.
You won't complete until the funds have cleared. Completion often involves mortgage funds clearing with yor own solicitor the day before (to make sure things can happen quickly on the day). On the day of completion, the solicitors move all the money - i.e. including any proceeds from sale of your houseor deposit from you - via telegraphic transfer to transfer the funds to the vendor's solicitors, or possibly direct to the developers if they're one of the big firms who have their own legal department. They'll usually charge you about £30 for the telegraphic transfer.

If you still owe deposit or some proportion of cost as cash, be aware you'll have to ensure the money is in the solicitors account before the transfer and completion can happen. A normal internet transfer (BACS) can take 3 days or so to clear, unless you want to go direct to your bank/building society and do a CHAPS transfer, which will cost you another £25ish.

A decent solicitor should be quite happy to tell you all of this and is less likely to get it wrong than anyone on an internet forum (me included).

I'd also agree with the comments above re: makign sure they put the house right before you get in.

Good luck
Old 13 November 2006, 01:38 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info guys. I've been in there already and made quite a long snagging list. Even down to the handles on the lounge windows were different to the ones on the bedroom. My girlfriends dad is a site manager for Furlong homes so he came along too as he knows what to look for. Surprising how many problems there were. Only minor touching up but enough to need sorting. You're right about the sales team though, they were the nicest people in the world when we went down to look, 5 months later and £5000 worse off they seem to be less interested in keeping me informed now!! Crap!!
Apparently the solicitors have now told me that they are trying the best to set completion for the 24th even though they have sent me in writing that it will definately be fixed for the 24th. Can I not sue them if its not mine on the 24th?
Old 13 November 2006, 03:23 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you like, I can provide a 16 page snaggers checklist - it has EVERYTHING you need to check.

A friend of a friend is a professional that basically checks new-builds and he provided the document.
Old 13 November 2006, 03:39 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
If you like, I can provide a 16 page snaggers checklist - it has EVERYTHING you need to check.

A friend of a friend is a professional that basically checks new-builds and he provided the document.
Hello Kieran

I'd like that if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 13 November 2006, 03:59 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'll put a link up this evening after I upload the document to my home area, if anyone wants a copy you're welcome to have one.
Old 13 November 2006, 05:01 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Thanks kieran. That'll be excellent!
Old 13 November 2006, 06:20 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Here's the link for anyone that wants it:

http://www.km_burns.btinternet.co.uk/Snagger.doc