Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

12 Months Interest Free Advice (Suite)

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2006, 12:31 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 Months Interest Free Advice (Suite)

I am just after a little advice really so here goes...

In April 2005 i purchased a suite costing £2500. I paid £500 in a deposit and the remaining £2000 was spread out over 12 mths on the interest free option. The 1st payment was supposed to come out 1 month after delivery of item (June 05) and then followed by the further 11 payments.

Now in the paperwork process there were a lot of glaring faults, i suppose the guy that was processing the finance was a saturday lad not giving a flying ****. No direct debit details were entered, i hadnt signed for it and i went away with the shops top copy (White top sheet carbon copy). This top sheet is what the shop are supposed to keep.

My wife used to work with finance and told me if there were any mistakes what so ever in the processing paperwork, then the finance was nil and void and the shop would take the hit financially for it??

Now of course the 1st payment didnt come out 1 month later, nor did any others! Yesterday 17mths after delivery of my suite i received a letter from the shop with new attatched paperwork apologising for any inconvenience caused and basically said they couldnt process my original paperwork due to an error and could i please sign this new paperwork, filling in debit details etc for the 12 mths interest free payments to start next month!

Now the fact the shop has contacted me rather than the actual finance company (GE capital) got me thinking.

Do i need to sign this paperwork and is the shop trying there luck?

I do actually have the money set aside for this in my savings account but wondering what i should do

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 09 November 2006, 12:40 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
I am just after a little advice really so here goes...

In April 2005 i purchased a suite costing £2500. I paid £500 in a deposit and the remaining £2000 was spread out over 12 mths on the interest free option. The 1st payment was supposed to come out 1 month after delivery of item (June 05) and then followed by the further 11 payments.

Now in the paperwork process there were a lot of glaring faults, i suppose the guy that was processing the finance was a saturday lad not giving a flying ****. No direct debit details were entered, i hadnt signed for it and i went away with the shops top copy (White top sheet carbon copy). This top sheet is what the shop are supposed to keep.

My wife used to work with finance and told me if there were any mistakes what so ever in the processing paperwork, then the finance was nil and void and the shop would take the hit financially for it??

Now of course the 1st payment didnt come out 1 month later, nor did any others! Yesterday 17mths after delivery of my suite i received a letter from the shop with new attatched paperwork apologising for any inconvenience caused and basically said they couldnt process my original paperwork due to an error and could i please sign this new paperwork, filling in debit details etc for the 12 mths interest free payments to start next month!

Now the fact the shop has contacted me rather than the actual finance company (GE capital) got me thinking.

Do i need to sign this paperwork and is the shop trying there luck?

I do actually have the money set aside for this in my savings account but wondering what i should do

Any advice would be appreciated
On moral grounds you should pay up - especially if you spotted their mistake. After all, if you sold something to someone and they tried getting out of paying because you misspelt their name or something, would you be happy.

Pay up.

Or, if like me, then try it on - they can afford it!
Old 09 November 2006, 01:15 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Return the paperwork.... No longer at this address !!
Old 09 November 2006, 02:10 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Return the paperwork.... No longer at this address !!
Quality idea
Old 09 November 2006, 02:14 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Had a similar problem last year with my interest free sofa. Decided at the end of the day I was happy to pay what was agreed, despite the **** up as gpssti4 says on moral grounds we paid up
Old 09 November 2006, 03:28 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

It would be different i suppose if it were the finance company chasing me rather than the actual shop.

I dont suppose the finance company can do anything as they will not accept the dodgy paperwork from the store.

TBH i would rather keep the £2000 now, im sure a nationwide furniture store will cope

I think ill leave it just now and see if i get any threatening letters. If court and bailiffs are mentioned etc ill give in and pay up but i really dont think they have a leg to stand on. My wife says any mistakes made are the shops fault and they will take the financial hit.

Why wasnt this brought up though a week or month at most after. Its been 1 1/2 years now!
Old 09 November 2006, 05:54 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

seek advise from the relevant governing body for that business. i mean if it was a bank issue you could consult the ombudman service, whos in charge of all the sofa's ??
Old 09 November 2006, 07:07 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Is there not a time limit on this sort of thing ??
Im sure they cant have a claim after 1.5yrs

As for the finance company, they would have rejected the paper work back when the sofa was purchased.