Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What causes condensation?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2006, 07:37 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes condensation?

In my flat we get condensation on the windows really bad - we are talking small puddles of water forming here! The windows are generally closed and the heating is still off just now. Preventative advice appreciated
Old 01 November 2006, 07:44 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only real answer is a de-humidifier, but theres the old trick of wiping almost neat washing up liquid on your windows which stops the water forming.

Andy
Old 01 November 2006, 08:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

What causes it? It's the moisture in the air, from you breathing out, sweating, cooking etc etc. In warm conditions, the air can hold lots of water as VAPOUR, (invisible water, as a gas, like steam). When the air cools, it can no longer hold so much water, so some of the water CONDENSES, ie: turns from vapour back into liquid water.

Since the windows are probably the coolest part of the house, the condensation occurs mostly here.

How can you stop it? Keeping the house warmer will do it. If the air is warmer, it'll hold the moisture as vapour, it won't condense.

I've recently bought a pretty good dehumidifier for our French property, and it works a treat. LITRES of water a day, for the first few days, then not so much.

Mine came from Wickes, cost around £120, and I'd recommend it.

Alcazar
Old 01 November 2006, 08:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Keep the window/s open slightly.
Old 01 November 2006, 08:33 AM
dashpig
Scooby Regular

Piles of salt on plates in rooms also works very well for reducing moisture in the air - this is the method that's used for over-wintering caravans/motorhomes when not in use
Old 01 November 2006, 08:35 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dashpig
Piles of salt on plates in rooms also works very well for reducing moisture in the air - this is the method that's used for over-wintering caravans/motorhomes when not in use
Rice also works......... salt is also good against slugs and demons (Miss Kinky will be the best person for further info on demons etc...)
Old 01 November 2006, 09:10 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
How can you stop it? Keeping the house warmer will do it.
You're talking to a Scot remember!
Old 01 November 2006, 09:16 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

open your windows...get some fresh air in!
Old 01 November 2006, 09:31 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

You could try holding your breath....
Old 01 November 2006, 09:42 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You're talking to a Scot remember!
He's got a point!!

The house has double-glazing!! Might borrow a dehumidifier to take the worst of the water out of the house and then generally keep it warmer. We are redeveloping the flat at the moment which will involve the installation of new heaters anyway.
Old 01 November 2006, 09:50 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

If its not too bad you can get a bowl with some rock salt crystals in fancy colours from most health food shops that can sit on window ledge this works, every now and then take them out pop them in microwave for a couple of mins and they work all over again, hth.
Old 01 November 2006, 09:58 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Ours is bad also, UPVC double glazing but it still puddles, and we have no heating downstairs (still waiting for plumber to quote us after 2 months!!).

We bought an Ebac dehumidifier last year, but it died after a month so they sent us another, and that ones about to die as well I think

Luckily its under warranty for 3 years, so they can just keep fixing it for us or sending us a new one.
Old 01 November 2006, 10:00 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I found with a de-humidifier was if it was left on over night i would wake up with a killer sore-throat as so much of the moisture in the air is taken out....which of course is the point of a de-humidifier , my point was to maybe turn it off over night.
Old 01 November 2006, 10:05 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Mines is bad enough to puddle and you can even hear it dripping onto the window ledge during the night - it can keep you awake!! Any links for these fancy salts? (also how do they do their job?)
Old 01 November 2006, 10:11 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Mines is bad enough to puddle and you can even hear it dripping onto the window ledge during the night - it can keep you awake!! Any links for these fancy salts? (also how do they do their job?)
Hi, they were bought by my wife, I will find out where she got them (she shops in flowery/pot pouree type shops) so I am not sure.
As for how they work they are just salt (hydroscopic) which just absorbs moisture from the air, then the microwave just evaporates the gathered moisture off again.
Plain salt works but my wife would not like a bowl of saxo on display for the neighbours!!! (you could just put a bowl of salt out and cover it with a cloth, not waterproof obviously).HTH
Old 01 November 2006, 10:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Caravan dealers also sell special kits for moisture absorbing, like a rectangular box with a grille lid, containing, I think, Silica gel crystals, which are better than salt for water absorbancy.

They can also be regenerated in an oven/microwave(??) but remember that this will just have the effect of putting the moisture straight back into the air.

Bite the bullet, get a Wickes dehumidifier, and turn it down at night: they have variable levels of humidity. Mine is set to 70% and neither I, nor my wife, suffers from sore throats etc while in France.

Mine is reliable too: I left it going all last winter to keep the house damp-free, with the drain openn and passed into the sink drain outlet, then blocked off with paper towel, so it wasn't just sucking in it's own moisture. It worked perfectly..

Oh, and when the drain on the dehumidifier is closed, it collects the distilled water it absorbs, which is used for the wife's steam iron............thus producing even more condensation

Alcazar
Old 01 November 2006, 11:15 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

The fancy salts you can usually get in places like Woolworths or Lakeland Limited
Old 01 November 2006, 11:26 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Best way is to stop breathing. Biggest generator of condensation known to man.
Yve
Old 01 November 2006, 11:47 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

You can usually blame UPVC windows, unless the problem was there beforehand.

Most people fit these with no regaurd to the fact that the better sealing restricts the ventilation throughout the house. Causing a build up of stale and damp air. Simple science...humid air meets cold glass = condensation

Modern "good" UPVC windows will have vent slats at the top, but most do not, and without them your liable to get condesation problems in a badly ventilated house (i.e a flat, as they rarely have any form of decent through-ventilation ).

The cure is fresh air ventilation. So open a few windows, or at least leave a few on the the vent catch. Or knock in a few airbricks
Old 01 November 2006, 12:59 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice - I'll look into the ventilation since we are redeveloping the place anyway. I'll also try to open windows more often, to have more heat in general and some fancy salts Failing that I'll get scuba gear
Old 01 November 2006, 01:16 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
If its not too bad you can get a bowl with some rock salt crystals in fancy colours from most health food shops that can sit on window ledge this works, every now and then take them out pop them in microwave for a couple of mins and they work all over again, hth.
Wouldn't the steam then just go from the microwave back out into the room?

Can't see where the water is actually removed from the house using this method...
Old 01 November 2006, 01:29 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
You learn something new everyday!
Old 01 November 2006, 01:38 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I guess you could close the kitchen door and keep the kitchen window open during and for some time after microwaving. That way you isolate the moist air to one well ventilated room. Could be a winner
Old 01 November 2006, 01:43 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'

Can't see where the water is actually removed from the house using this method...
I think the idea is that the kitchen usually has better ventilation than the living areas when the microwave is on we usually have the kitchen window open but then I was never claiming to be a ventilation expert,just making a suggestion to a common problem. (which I know works btw).
If you dont want to microwave them, you could just throw them out and buy new ones every time but as both myself and Saxo are Scots.
Old 01 November 2006, 02:48 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or take the salt stuff to a friends house and borrow their microwave!
Old 02 November 2006, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Stopping breathing would reduce CO2 levels too, so you would be very green if you did that.

Les
Old 02 November 2006, 03:05 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Stopping breathing would reduce CO2 levels too, so you would be very green if you did that.

Les
Blue surely?