Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private Healthcare Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2006, 09:08 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Private Healthcare Insurance question

For years I have being paying Norwich for family healthcare insurance but now premiums are getting silly. I mainly did it for the kids and for us to avoid a waiting list if we ever needed an op'. The only time it was needed, when I wanted to see a consultant in a hurry, I found that I wasn't covered! I have therefore never made a claim.

Am I right in thinking that I could change to another company WITHOUT completing a medical declaration on the back of my record with Norwich? I am assuming that I ought to keep my Norwich Policy in place until/if I change.

Any suggestions and contacts for companies that could provide basic "jump the waiting list" cover at reasonable hospitals in the UK? TIA. dl
Old 30 October 2006, 12:14 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Just asked the girlfriend, she works for BUPA:

"Unfortunately this is not the case, most insurance companies offer a moretorium underwritting which although it doesnt directly exclude any medical history it doesnt allow you to claim for any pre-existing condition(s) you have had in the last 5 years for at least the first 2 years from when the policy starts - although the timescale can vary from insurer to insurer.

BUPA do a fully underwritten policy but not all pre-existing conditions are excluded so it really depends on what you have had!

Definitely keep your current policy until you have been underwritten and have taken out a new policy as if you cancel and then something happens before your new policy starts then you'll be knackered!

BUPA do a range of different products and all of which cover operations in hospital
"

Jeff.
Old 30 October 2006, 12:23 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I understand that some companies give a "no less cover" clause if you change to them, so that your cover is effectively continuous, and therefore bypasses the "no cover for existing conditions" clauses.

HTH.

John.
Old 30 October 2006, 12:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys (and g/fs) - nothing is simple in life it it?

I am sure that of the dozens of Health Insurance flyers I have received and binned over the years that some have said "No medical required" (when you already have a policy in place). I guess I'll just have to get on the phone then. Hope it doesn't kill me d