Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

flights to australia

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2006, 09:49 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up flights to australia

Can anybody give me info on some good sites for flights to Brisbane round about feb time next year preferably from newcastle/manchester need to pop over to see my sister for the first time (long story)for a couple of weeks.
cheers
gus
Old 28 October 2006, 10:04 PM
Chimple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've flown three times, first was with Malaysian airlines. Couldnt fault them, decent(ish!) food, etc.

The second and third times was with Japan airlines, because they were quite cheap (without straying into "you may not survive the trip" type airlines!), I didnt have any problem with the service (although I do prefer it when I don't have to stay overnight!) I found the food terrible.

I did always pick the English option, but not only did I find it inedible, it made me feel queasy!

Take your own food, and Japan airlines is a cheapish way of getting to Brisbane!
Old 28 October 2006, 10:08 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Singapore are a great airline, and cheap as well. Not sure if they do MAN or NCL though?
Old 28 October 2006, 10:13 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with Flightman, Sinapore were great, attentive, good food and an all round good service.

On a side note, Brisbane is a fantastic city.
Old 28 October 2006, 10:15 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

TripPlanner

London - Bangcock - Singapore - Brisbane

$1187 to $1483
(£660 to £825)
Absolutely DIRT DIRT Cheap!!!

Plan a few nights stop offs on the way

Last edited by jods; 28 October 2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 29 October 2006, 12:28 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Singapore airlines for me fella, Great flight.

Andy
Old 29 October 2006, 11:10 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'm flying over for the Grand Prix, but want to catch up with a few people while I'm there.

First port of call was Brisbane, then we were going to drive down to melbourne via Sydney.

Return flights from Manchester are circa £600. As I'm travelling on my own I looked at First Class- which, to Bris, was a bloody ridiculous £4500-£6000 quid.

However, First in to Sydney on Virgin is only £3k
Old 29 October 2006, 11:10 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Sorry, the main point- travelsupermarket.com, expedia.com or virgin.com
Old 29 October 2006, 07:49 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

Thanks for the info lads I will be having a good look in the next month as for stop overs if I stopped in bangcock one things for sure I would never make it to Brisbane....thanks for the links RRH £600-£800 would be easily in my budget for the flight but not £6000 I would rather spend that on my car when I come back....
Old 29 October 2006, 08:25 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this Gussy,i used them to travel to Thailand.Very helpfull bunch they are.
Gazelle Travel - Flights, Hotels, Insurance and Car Hire
Old 29 October 2006, 08:31 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

cheers Speye91.
Old 30 October 2006, 06:41 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Check many different websites - there are lots of deals to be had but they will chnage frequently. £600 - 700 is the average. A good price is £500 which I have had in the past, but probably too late to get this now.

Avoid the dodgy airlines you have not heard of, but there are many others. I flown to aus many times both with work and privately and in general, you Singapore and Cathay Pacific are better than the BA and Qantas, but then I've had good and bad Qantas/BA trips as well. All depends on the seat, number of people around you, quality of the staff and how new/old the plane is. Some you can control - others you cannot.

Keep an eye on the layover times - this can reduce costs but can be a real pain. Major tip if flying via Singapore - go to either end of the airport on the layover to the hotels and they sell showers (very cheap) for your to 'freshen up' in - they provide the towel and it makes you feel way way better for the next flight. Not many people know about it, but it works wonders and is a life saver for feeling the second stint feel like the first all over again - not a continuation.

And, depending on what you do find costwise, look at flying to Sydney and then catching an internal flight up to Brisbane. Sydney is far more popular thus greater competition on costs. Use Qantas, Virgin Blue, and Jetstar Air Cheap Flights & Airfares - Webjet Travel Insurance for a comparison of all costs (internal) for Sydney to Brisbane to see if it works out cheaper and using the exchange rate to your advantage.

Any other questions, let me know. Will also be there in March for work for the Grand Prix and will be shooting up to our QLD as well...
Old 30 October 2006, 08:46 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

gussy

we always use singapore airlines now been down the internet route but i always use
steve dent at Dawson and sanderson in Carlisle 01228 409684 in lowther street
can pay by chq/debit card to save the 2% that everyone else pays and will match the price of the internet boys

You can spend hours on the phone/net yet give him a call tel him i sent you and let him do the work Iv eused him a lot in the last 8 years
singapore airlines are really good I was on the plane last moth and somone had paid only £389 to aussy
Old 30 October 2006, 09:01 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Major tip if flying via Singapore - go to either end of the airport on the layover to the hotels and they sell showers (very cheap) for your to 'freshen up' in - they provide the towel and it makes you feel way way better for the next flight. Not many people know about it, but it works wonders and is a life saver for feeling the second stint feel like the first all over again - not a continuation.
great advice there ....

Personally I'd avoid Cathay Pacific (first leg of flight to New Zealand, sorry sir, we have run out of drinking water on this flight and we apolgise for the failure of the in-flight entertainment system !!!!!)

However, others seem to speak highly of them, but personally I'd go with Singapore Airlines

Cheers
Old 30 October 2006, 09:25 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
Personally I'd avoid Cathay Pacific (first leg of flight to New Zealand, sorry sir, we have run out of drinking water on this flight and we apolgise for the failure of the in-flight entertainment system !!!!!)
That really annoys me and it isn't limited to Cathay. Myself, friends and relatives have been on flights on BA/Qantas/Emirates and Singapore where this has happened. Qantas/BA are the worst for running out of meal choices and they always seem to have only fish. 4/6 long haul flights with BA this year I've been on have had IFE failures.
Old 30 October 2006, 11:11 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
That really annoys me and it isn't limited to Cathay. Myself, friends and relatives have been on flights on BA/Qantas/Emirates and Singapore where this has happened. Qantas/BA are the worst for running out of meal choices and they always seem to have only fish. 4/6 long haul flights with BA this year I've been on have had IFE failures.
Agree - I've learnt that every airline has it's issues and it's bad luck if it happens to you. Newer planes seem to be better - hate it when you get on one and you see the noise bars running across the screen and you know it's a blinkin video and not a hard disk version, and therefore you'll have crappy picture, crappy sound and all the fun that goes with it. Amazing they still exist, but they do...
Old 30 October 2006, 12:07 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Never had any trouble with Cathay, but only flown them once. Emirates stop at Brisbane sometimes on the way to NZ, I think they're great, but I've only flown with them in business class which was about 2.5k, 800 quid should get you an economy class to Brisbane.
Old 30 October 2006, 05:24 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

John(lordharding)I will carch up with you at the next meet I forgot that you travel to the east on a regular basis so I will have a better crack when I see you.Thanks again to everybody who has had input on this thread,certainly a lot for me to chew on.
Old 30 October 2006, 05:30 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

moving to australia early next been recommended asda for cheap flights
ASDA Travel - Flights Cheap Flights
Old 30 October 2006, 07:08 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The reality is that no one place will have the cheapest flights. The majority of them have access to the same reservation systems and will quite the same price, within a few pounds. Every now and then they might have some specials that are sold through a single supplier.

You just have to keep trying different places until you find one you are happy with.

More and more these days the airlines offer the best prices too, seems that they are quite happy to cut the agencies out of the loop. (eg: BA.com) My flights to NZ at Xmas this year were cheaper direct through Cathay Pacific by quite a large amount.
Old 30 October 2006, 07:34 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
The reality is that no one place will have the cheapest flights. The majority of them have access to the same reservation systems and will quite the same price, within a few pounds.
It doesn't quite work like that, but it does come down to supply and demand. A lot of places will buy seats far in advance in bulk, and the savings come from there.