Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shin Splints, Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2006, 12:36 PM
CT_dunmow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shin Splints, Ouch!

I am suffering from the above complaint, due to running. Anyone ever had any experience or advise on how to solve them, ive got a race in a month and dont want to stop training but F/Me it hurts!
Old 27 October 2006, 12:38 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, rest is the only cure for shin splints. Suggest you pass on the race, and get yourself well before training again.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:39 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cue Chelle and ozzy.

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ts-go-bad.html
Old 27 October 2006, 12:39 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

theres a thread about this somewhere already, do a search for it. Nothing much apart from rest will sort it though. If anything you'll just make it worse by carrying on training.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:40 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Yup....suffered for years, Feckin sore

Good info here

Shin splints and information on types of shin splints injuries

Worth getting your running shoes checked and fitted professionaly as this tends to be one of the biggest causes.
Old 27 October 2006, 12:43 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

TAKEN FROM foot.com

The best way to prevent shin splints is to stretch and strengthen the leg muscles, wear footwear with good shock absorption, and avoid running on hard surfaces or excessive running or jumping on the ball-of-the-foot. Insoles or orthotics that offer arch support for over-pronation are also important.

Treatment for shin splints should include taking a break from the exercise that is causing the problem until pain subsides. Icing the area immediately after running or other exercise can also be effective, along with gentle stretching before and after training. Another option is taking aspirin or ibuprofen to relieve pain and reduce inflammation.

It is important not to try to train through the pain of shin splints. Runners should decrease mileage for about a week and avoid hills or hard surfaces. If a muscle imbalance, poor running form or flat feet are causing the problem, a long-term solution might involve a stretching and strengthening program and orthotics that support the foot and correct over-pronation. In more severe cases, ice massage, electrostimuli, heat treatments and ultra-sound might be used
Old 27 October 2006, 01:36 PM
CT_dunmow
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, i am icing and am gonna get some sports massage done. Currenty running with ibuprofen but only once a week, trying to do other stuff like swimming etc etc, but it aint the same. The race is only 5 miles and cross country so hopefully i should be alright and then rest it over christmas, just dont want a stress fracture!
Old 27 October 2006, 02:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I suffer from Shin Splints. Bloody pain in the @rse. Well Legs to be precise.

Only started to suffer from it a few years ago. Have tried resting. The last time I never ran for 7 month (Just being a lazy B@stard) and started going back to the Gym last month.
After 5, 10-15min sessions (over 5 trips to the gym) it's come back.

First time I got it, I thought I'd fractured my legs. Quite scared about it at the time.

I run threw the pain for a couple months until it gets too bad. I stretch before and after training, but nothing seams to really help.
Old 27 October 2006, 04:31 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Sometimes shin splints can be caused by changes to your biomechanics, i.e. how you run. I suffered shin splints for 6 months before the 3rd physio I visited actually found the cause. I had been using new rugby boots and lacing them up to the top had caused my biomechanics to change. The cure was simply to leave the top two lace holes undone. A doctor, a regular physio and a sports physio had all failed to identify the cause, they simply treated symptoms. If nothing else works, it might be worth visiting a pediatrist so that your biomechanics can be assessed.
Old 27 October 2006, 04:47 PM
CT_dunmow
Scooby Regular

All very usefull stuff here, thanks. Im gonna get some good running shoes for a start (any advice anyone). What i dont get is why i have them in only one leg? All i know is this month im getting them fixed because right now it hurts to walk!
Old 27 October 2006, 09:10 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I suffer from them as well, there a fcukin nightmare.
Old 27 October 2006, 10:26 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you body hurts when you do something then, if possible, just stop doing it
Old 28 October 2006, 06:26 AM
Little Miss WRX

I still have issues with mine and have been told that despite getting orthotics, deep tissue massage etc that because my orthotics are not agressive enough then the correciton hasn't been sufficient to solve the reason why I get shin splints.

Get your biomechanical make up looked out to eliminate those causes.

Lots of stretching as your calf muscles will be tight, ice massage and general icing of the shins, anti-inflammatories and rest.

Do see a physio - I was sure I was fine after my new orthotics - little did I know and hence ended up with a stress fracture.
Old 28 October 2006, 10:07 AM
CT_dunmow
Scooby Regular

Getting a deep tissue massage monday, which for those that havent experienced it really hurts alot! Cant even walk at the moment!
Old 28 October 2006, 11:56 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Info on this site might help - more on MTSS (Medial Tibial Shin Splints) for pain in the lower inside of your shins. -A serious training regime documented to improve the strength of the muscles which are being affected - worth a look.

shin splints treatment

Cheers

Mick
Old 28 October 2006, 02:35 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

second, a physio, sorted mine out. you probably pronate(sp) which is easly cured with orthotics. i now wear little inserts in my shoes/trainers