Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rainwater uses in house?

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2006, 10:19 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watering the veg patch?

Seriously though, the costs of installing rain water 'harvesting' kit is high.

I'm curious about recycling 'brown' water as well. Using bath water to flush the loos etc. Once your water has passed through the meter into your property it is yours to do with as you please. (Until New Labour introduce a 'recycling tax' anyway.

Last edited by unclebuck; 26 October 2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 10:22 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Watering the veg patch?

Seriously though, the costs of installing rain water 'harvesting' kit is high.

I'm curious about recycling 'brown' water as well. Using bath water to flush the loos etc. Once your water has passed through the meter into your property it is your's to do with as you please. (Until New Labour introduce a 'recycling tax' anyway.
You mean you don't already UB, I'm shocked
Old 26 October 2006, 10:31 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
You mean you don't already UB, I'm shocked
I do what I can without installing more stuff. I have solar panels for heating water, and used my bath water to water the veggies through those hot dry summer months...
Old 26 October 2006, 10:34 PM
MJB2
Scooby Regular

'brown' water! you been watching a bit too much monty don me thinks
Old 26 October 2006, 10:36 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I do what I can without installing more stuff. I have solar panels for heating water, and used my bath water to water the veggies through those hot dry summer months...

How are those solar panels working for you? Would you recommend them? How much did it cost you to get it fitted etc?
Old 26 October 2006, 10:44 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

well under the new part L regulations these things have to be considered in new buildings, but not residental iirc, although so architects / designers do try to incorporate grey water systems for loos etc.
Old 26 October 2006, 10:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

UB - think you mean "grey water" I have found underground tanks are expensive. I'll be building mine out of block work and rendering the inside. Already have the pump ready to get the water back out to water the veggie plot, and I'm not even on a water meter!
Old 26 October 2006, 10:59 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
How are those solar panels working for you?

Would you recommend them? How much did it cost you to get it fitted etc?
The performance is amazing. The oversized storage tank is completely filled with piping hot water on sunny days, moderately warm water on 'average' days, and bugger all on overcast/rainy days.

I am lucky in that that the system was already installed when I moved in, so while I am reaping the benefits I bare none of the cost. If I were building a new place I would install solar panels everywhere, no question.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:08 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Great...hot water when you don't need it

Anyhoo, the idea of using grey water is great. but obviously you need to address the issue of storing manky water; it can't be stored inside a house, unless it's a sealed tank, as it could go stagnent and end up a bit pongy. And also the likelihood of valves, pipes and pumps clogging up with scum and algae. Although this can be adressed by using a chlorination system...but then your water board won't like you putting that down their sewer after you've finished with it.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:10 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The other idea I have is to set up a huge homemade alcohol still, and brew pure 100% hooch from my bathwater to sell to the local chavs.

Old 26 October 2006, 11:11 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Much beter use

Distill it and use it as octane booster or with a water injection system
Old 26 October 2006, 11:29 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Great...hot water when you don't need it
When do you 'not need' hot water?

I assume from what you say that during the summer months you and yours take a cold bath every day then? Then perform the washing up with cold water before not setting the washing machine to 'economy'.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:51 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

When do you 'not need' hot water?

I assume from what you say that during the summer months you and yours take a cold bath every day then? Then perform the washing up with cold water before not setting the washing machine to 'economy'.
Baths? Baths?? Dont tell the lentil munchers that unless your sharing it and using 3rd hand bath water

Cold showers in the summer, can't beat them :thumb

Washing up? Not my problem

Now maybe if the washinmosheen had a "hot fill", it maybe of use. But thanks to our energy consumption buddies, they no longer exist. And now I feel guilty about not using calgon, as all the heating has to be done by the electric element

Roll on cheap photo-electric panels
Old 27 October 2006, 12:04 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Water harvesting kit cost high??????

Guttering and drainage to low level water tank.
Some plastic pipe to a high level tank and a solar powered pump.

Not going to break the bank!

Andy
Old 27 October 2006, 09:13 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Looking for a house at the moment and went and looked at some new builds at the weekend. They all had systems to use rainwater for flushing the loo etc. There was a big tank buried in the garden to store it.

The woman showing us round explained how it saved you money as of course all new houses have water meters, she also seemed to think that these systems may become mandatory on all new houses in the not too distant future. I guess they can't be that expensive if they are prepared to build new houses with the system now, usually they try to keep the build cost to an absolute mininum so as to maximise the profit.
Old 27 October 2006, 10:37 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Water harvesting kit cost high??????

Guttering and drainage to low level water tank.
Some plastic pipe to a high level tank and a solar powered pump.

Not going to break the bank!

Andy
Fine if you're happy to have a tank above ground, if you want it hidden away, underground reinforced GRP tanks are not so cheap! If you can find one that is - say 5000 Litres - I'd be interested!
Old 27 October 2006, 10:38 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Looking for a house at the moment and went and looked at some new builds at the weekend. They all had systems to use rainwater for flushing the loo etc. There was a big tank buried in the garden to store it.

The woman showing us round explained how it saved you money as of course all new houses have water meters, she also seemed to think that these systems may become mandatory on all new houses in the not too distant future. I guess they can't be that expensive if they are prepared to build new houses with the system now, usually they try to keep the build cost to an absolute mininum so as to maximise the profit.
The advantage of a new build is that you have a JCB on site so digging out the damn great hole isn't too much of an issue. Not so easy with an established house.
Old 27 October 2006, 11:23 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I was thinking of the rainwater going into an outside/surface level water butt as normal (gardening etc) that contains a pump that would fill the tank in the loft when it was not full. That way you can retrofit it to almost any house. No digging etc. Just a large capacity tank in the loft. Plus a couple of filters to keep out the crud that comes off the roof etc.
That's fine and will give you about 200-250L, I'm looking at rather more than that as I'm looking to use for garden watering not loo flushing

Plumbing to the cisterms would be almost identical except that you would need an automatic valve so that when rainwater tank had water in it the cisterns would get filled from there. Then the normal tank would take over when there was no water. Not done any calculations as to sizes yet. Maybe that's the next step for me.
It's actually a little more complex. At the moment, the loo will be on the same feed as your sinks etc. You need to disconnect it so you don't risk contamination with the potable water and run a feed from the new tank to the loo cistern. I'd be tempted to run a potable feed to the tank in the loft as well with it's own ball **** set to fill at a lower level than the pumped grey feed, so when you run out of grey water, the loft tank is filled from mains water.

Really doing the exercise for two reasons. Mainly because it *can* be cheaper with a meter but if you are on a meter it makes sense to use as little as possible, within reason. Secondly, I can see meters becoming compulsory at some stage in the not so distant future so best to think ahead ....

Dave
From my perspective it's more a case that rain water is better for the plants than treated tap water. But the saving in cost if we were to have a water meter is a consideration
Old 27 October 2006, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We are purely on well water which has been tested and found appreciably purer than mains water. In the summer if the well gets a bit low, we collect rain water in butts and use it for flushing etc.

It would cost at least £15K to get connected to the mains so we could use re-cycled and chemically not very tasty water. So I am not going to bother.

Les
Old 27 October 2006, 01:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
We are purely on well water which has been tested and found appreciably purer than mains water. In the summer if the well gets a bit low, we collect rain water in butts and use it for flushing etc.

It would cost at least £15K to get connected to the mains so we could use re-cycled and chemically not very tasty water. So I am not going to bother.

Les
Bloody hell Les, how far from the water main are you?
Old 29 October 2006, 12:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its about a field width away Olly, I am going by an estimate given to an elderly lady a while ago who lived about the same distance form the main. And being SW Water-what can you expect!

The well water is lovely to drink however, we are still alive after 14 years now

Les
Old 29 October 2006, 12:53 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

If you can position it over a load bearing wall then it wouldn't matter.

Andy
Old 29 October 2006, 07:31 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

A place my parents bought on the side of hill in the Cotswolds didn't have mains water at all.
It was all pumped from a stream from the valley below into a tank the size of a town house bedroom.
The tank sat buried in the hillside just above the house.
Wasn't that much pressure but it worked and nobody has died yet.

The only thing you'll need to do to keep the waterboard happy is to have one way valves attatched to your mains suppply in.
They get rather tetchy if they think thier water is likely to be "contaminated" from your well / stream supply.

Personally, once the new system is settled in and proven to meet your needs, I'd have the mains supply cut off and save yourself a few bob.

Andy

Last edited by Fuzz; 29 October 2006 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Rainwater uses in house?