Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for the atheists

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2006, 02:44 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the atheists

How many years have you not celebrated Christmas for and do you just treat yourself to presents anyway and what is the day called in your house?

Not many shopping days to go
Old 25 October 2006, 02:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
How many years have you not celebrated Christmas for and do you just treat yourself to presents anyway and what is the day called in your house?

Christmas is just a pagan festival hijacked by the early Christians as the pagans didn't want to give up their winter festival, many of the other Christian festivals have similar origins. So your question is somewhat moot.

That being said, I take the opportunity to catch up with friends and family over the Christmas period and treat it as a family event, not a religious one.
Old 25 October 2006, 03:00 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I'm too mercenary to give up the presents despite being a non-believer.

Seriously though, I consider Christmas as a time to spend with your family. I could quite easily do without the presents, shopping, cards and all the other bullsh1t that surrounds one flipping day of the year.

Bah humbug!
davegtt
Scooby Senior

same here really, the time is used as a family festive pi55 up definately not a religious thing for me.
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Does aethism (or not) prevent the involvement in a festival in support of certain ethics/morals/practices. The giving of gifts is not surely anathema to atheism or any other belief system. (Dogma aside)
To think of others who sacrifice themselves is surely to be lauded. Do atheists abhor Remembrance day as well?
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I don't celebrate Christmas, I just partake in the re enactment of the tale of St Nicholas - I know its just a story but it brings the family together
Old 25 October 2006, 03:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gymbal
Does aethism (or not) prevent the involvement in a festival in support of certain ethics/morals/practices. The giving of gifts is not surely anathema to atheism or any other belief system. (Dogma aside)
To think of others who sacrifice themselves is surely to be lauded. Do atheists abhor Remembrance day as well?
Atheism doesn't prevent me from doing anything other than not believing in a god or gods. It doesn't compel anything either. It isn't a belief system, it's about the abscence of a single belief and it only applies to deities, it isn't a religion that encompasses other rules.

So I don't abhor religions, I just don't believe in them. I have no issue with rememberance day and have participated in numerous parades over the years, I just don't pray at them.

Last edited by OllyK; 25 October 2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 25 October 2006, 03:53 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Christians,
Why do you use so many Pagan symbols to celebrate the (supposed) birth of your saviour? Isn't sitting around in a cold damp barn with some shepherds good enough for you?

And the date is wrong.

Geezer
Old 25 October 2006, 04:02 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

ollyK, I think you missed my (misplaced) point. However,IMHO the absence of a single belief is still a belief (odd as it sounds).
Also arguably an absence of belief does not prevent you doing anything. nor does the presence of a conformist/ theism belief system force anyone do do anything.
Personally I believe, we are all responsible for our own actions and to justify any action through a belief system is wrong (to my moral setup).
The Remembrance day analogy was regarding the original post.
Old 25 October 2006, 04:14 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

ollyK, I think you missed my (misplaced) point. However,IMHO the absence of a single belief is still a belief (odd as it sounds).
What, in the same way an empty glass if full of water?

Also arguably an absence of belief does not prevent you doing anything. nor does the presence of a conformist/ theism belief system force anyone do do anything.
No, it doesn't "force", however it does "rules" that people should abide by; do certain things and abstain from others if they are to be a good example of their faith and achieve their ultimate reward in heaven, nirvana, re-incarnation etc. Non of this applies to atheism (a-theism - literally, without theism)

The Remembrance day analogy was regarding the original post.
Sorry, that wasn't clear.
Old 25 October 2006, 04:27 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Surely if you don't believe in Christ,Christmas should be crossed off the list as a celebration day?

Whether or not there is an argument over the correct date and whether or not people want to throw in the pagan thing.

It's not like I party on during Diwali

Just seems a bit hypocrytical that everyone still wants to celebrate.
Old 25 October 2006, 04:29 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

We are not celebrating Christmas though, only Christians do that. It's an ancient Pagan festival. Most of the paraphenalia surrounding Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity.

Geezer
Old 25 October 2006, 04:32 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does aethism (or not) prevent the involvement in a festival in support of certain ethics/morals/practices.
I don't really like football and don't support any team or country. I still watched bits of the World Cup on TV.

I also go to martial arts lessons and bow to the photo of the guy there, but his book (and thus photo) are buried in crap on my desk at home, with little respect.

I don't see that it has to be GWB's "if you're not with us, you're against us".
Old 25 October 2006, 04:33 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Surely if you don't believe in Christ,Christmas should be crossed off the list as a celebration day?

Whether or not there is an argument over the correct date and whether or not people want to throw in the pagan thing.

Hold on, are you saying that internationally there cannot be 2 celebrations on the same day? I celebrate "family day" once a year, it's not my fault your pagan hijacked christian festival falls on the same day, maybe you should move it?
Old 25 October 2006, 04:45 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Hold on, are you saying that internationally there cannot be 2 celebrations on the same day? I celebrate "family day" once a year, it's not my fault your pagan hijacked christian festival falls on the same day, maybe you should move it?
First in last out.You move

Mind you,it should be re named 'Winter Festival and the supermarkets big profit time'.
Old 25 October 2006, 04:53 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

I don't buy presents, and I tell all my family not to buy me anything either. Doesn't actually work though Last Christmas I was in Denmark, but a good five years previously I don't do anything, usually wash the car and have pizza. I do take the holidays though, and why not
Old 25 October 2006, 05:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

First in last out.You move

Mind you,it should be re named 'Winter Festival and the supermarkets big profit time'.
Originally it was the pagan winter festival - the Christians hijacked it.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:08 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

We don't celebrate Xmas, we've gone back to the original pagan rituals and sacrifice a turkey, roast potatoes, stuffing and several bottles of wine.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:11 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

I doubt most parents believe in Tooth Fairies but they still give their kids money for their teeth.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:12 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wez_sti
I doubt most parents believe in Tooth Fairies but they still give their kids money for their teeth.
I doubt many believe in Father Christmas either
Old 25 October 2006, 05:13 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Christmas is ****
Old 25 October 2006, 05:17 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally it was the pagan winter festival - the Christians hijacked it.
I just think everything is quite sad.Everyone seems to have become phenomenally materialistic.Christmas means nothing apart from hols and gifts nowadays.I still enjoy Carols and all that

It won't stop me buying the most religious cards though I can find though to pee off the PC plonkers.

As a non believer Olly,do you have any strong feelings each time a local authority talks about 'winterfest' to avoid upsetting other religions? (not that the word Christmas does offend them but the Council think so )
Old 25 October 2006, 05:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I just think everything is quite sad.Everyone seems to have become phenomenally materialistic.Christmas means nothing apart from hols and gifts nowadays.I still enjoy Carols and all that

It won't stop me buying the most religious cards though I can find though to pee off the PC plonkers.

As a non believer Olly,do you have any strong feelings each time a local authority talks about 'winterfest' to avoid upsetting other religions? (not that the word Christmas does offend them but the Council think so )
I don't give a monkeys what it's called, I usually spell it with a small "c" or and X just to pi$$ the Xians off
Old 25 October 2006, 05:29 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

There's usually a nice brass band that plays under the war memorial at Liverpool Street station before Christmas, that's quite nice to listen to.

if you can hear it over the mad shoppers with all their bags full of presents
Old 25 October 2006, 05:36 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I don't give a monkeys what it's called, I usually spell it with a small "c" or and X just to pi$$ the Xians off
What has a remote Chinese tribe ever done to you?
Old 25 October 2006, 05:44 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I don't celebrate christmas/xmas/****-mass, it just happens. For me, it's a nice long holiday from work, with nice walks in the fresh crisp winter air looking at the gorgeous countryside

We do the exchange of gifts, which over the years have become less in monetary value, and more in thought and usefulness, but it's really a time to relax, see some of the family (doesn't always go hand in hand with relaxing) and generally chill.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:49 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Xmas as it is today is a media made holiday.

I dont beleive in god, and im intolerable of people that do believe in that bull**** but I still recieve and give gifts, and have a xmas tree!
Old 25 October 2006, 06:34 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Forget deities and analysis of the veracity of non believers celebrating Christmas. We have scant opportunity to be happy and this period does bring happiness, especially to the children. I am sure every poster as a child enjoyed Christmas so should therefore enjoy and 'celebrate' Christmas with their children and families, irrespective of the religious connotation or lack thereof.
Old 25 October 2006, 06:38 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I personally find the images of Jesus a bit offensive seeing as he is always shown as white when that pretty damned unlikely. If he was shown as black or arabic in appearance then I'd be happier. I am always unconfortable with something that is distorted and then used to control people as Christianity has been. However I do see the flip side as many of my elderly family find comfort in the church and whilst I struggle to understand in it myself each to their own.

I do celebrate Christmas but as a celebration of family but its not a reigious festival. I find it hard to celebrate what is most likely a vastly inaccurate story anyway as Jesus means " king of " and its widley beleived there were several religious kings at the time hence the beleif that he had been resurrected when it was some other bloke !

Jesus he died for our sins..... what a ****.

AllanB
Old 25 October 2006, 06:45 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Christmas should be crossed off the list as a celebration day?

invariably I end up driving relations back to my house for a big get together, meal and **** up.. then drive them al home again, so its hardly 'Celebratory' untill very late at night when 'I' can kick back, put MY feet up and partake in a shhnufftie or two of a very nice Tennessee malt

Quick Reply: Question for the atheists