Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Second Interview Invitation - Time off work

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2006, 10:29 AM
EP82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Interview Invitation - Time off work

I've been invited back for a second Interview for a job that I would really like.

As my shift falls i have a Friday off, but apparently this isn't good for the company that want to see me.

We have a massive project in the midst of a go-live this week and IT resources are pretty stretched with me on-site, so if i take time off it will be a real pain in the ****.

I'm of the opinion that at present I can't expect time off, but i don't want to scupper my chances of landing this job.

What would you lot do, i need to figure this out before dinner if i'm going to ask for time off thats when i'll need to do it!

Any help appreciated.
Old 17 October 2006, 10:34 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Is this job local to where your working now? Just take a couple of hours of rather than a whole day? Long lunch break etc
Old 17 October 2006, 10:35 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

How long would you need off work? - Can you offer to come in outside normal hours and make up the time that you 'need for personal reasons' ?
Old 17 October 2006, 10:38 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

your probably not the right man for the job if you are asking for advice on a car forum

did you ask your mumma 'where to put it' before you climbed on top of your college sweetheart like a rabid chimpanzee

Lord Shrek........you put your d1ck in the brown hole
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

tbh saying you can't go to the interview because you can't get time off work might not be that bad, tis a pain for them to rearange but then they know that you can be trusted to not pull a sicky etc
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Explain to the new Co. that you dont want to let your existing Co. down as they are needing you at the moment( this shows you as a "company man" )and they would expect the same from their own employees.
If they really want you the recruitment process is expensive and important to them and you would be flexible as to when you can attend interview.
Dont know but might be worth a try?
Old 17 October 2006, 10:39 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Lord Shrek
your probably not the right man for the job if you are asking for advice on a car forum

did you ask your mumma 'where to put it' before you climbed on top of your college sweetheart like a rabid chimpanzee

Old 17 October 2006, 10:43 AM
RJDS
Scooby Regular

Be honest with new employer, they will thankyou for it, (and thats how they would want to be treated) and think better of you !
If they don't, do you really want to work for them.
Old 17 October 2006, 10:46 AM
EP82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lord Shrek

Cheers decided to not have time off, nothing i can do about it i don't think. I'm not going to lie and throw a sicky, my working hours are such that i can't arrange anything outside of my working day either.

You win some, you loose some!
Old 17 October 2006, 10:46 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

I had a similar scenario last week, they arranged to see me outside normal work hours

Be honest and tell them its down to workloads, they will appreciate your honesty

Or take an extended lunch? or try before work?
Old 17 October 2006, 10:47 AM
EP82
Scooby Regular

Ohh and it's through a recruitment agency, so if i can't make it he will no doubt push some useless **** through the door and i'll miss my chance, haha.
Old 17 October 2006, 12:16 PM
Rage!
BANNED

Originally Posted by RMA26
Be honest and tell them its down to workloads, they will appreciate your honesty
I agree. Would you employ someone you knew had just pulled a sicky from his existing company to come and get an interview?

I'd prefer to employ someone with integrity!

Edit: oh, it's through an agency... forget the integrity thing then... those blood sucking leeches don't have the word in their dictionary!

Last edited by Rage!; 17 October 2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 17 October 2006, 01:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

"Funeral"

Work every time. They can't Deny you time off work to attend Grannies Funeral, can they?
Old 17 October 2006, 01:31 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Just tell them you can't make it due to working on a project, if the new company are genuinly interested in you then they will come to a compromise rather than blow you out for not being available.
Old 17 October 2006, 05:31 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Your new employer wont ask if you are on holiday or skiving off when you go for your interview.
Work up some hours (I imagine if you're in the miggil of a big project you will have a weeks worth of hours owed in lieu already) and tell your boss you have to see a sex change consultant or some other doctor, or your car needs welding together, or your pet antelope is changing its name by deed poll from Gareth to Ethel, or you have a severely loose bowel and may need a few hours pooing and cooling the ring...
Whatever your excuse get in there and sell yourself in the second interview... Good luck
Old 17 October 2006, 05:43 PM
EP82
Scooby Regular

I told the recruiter i wont be able to make the date given.

I have a full day off on Friday which makes it even harder, what on earth couldn't wait until the following day for me to sort out in an extended dinner hour.

Apparently this wont scupper my chances as they had already discussed a fall back option so i'm now pencilled in for when the guy returns from his jollies.

Well i should be, i'm yet to get a confirmation, haha!
Old 17 October 2006, 10:53 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EP82

Cheers decided to not have time off, nothing i can do about it i don't think. I'm not going to lie and throw a sicky, my working hours are such that i can't arrange anything outside of my working day either.
A man of integrity. I'm sure you'll go far.