Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

KISS100 - East Enders

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2001, 12:42 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hmmm.. listening to Kiss100 this morning, seems the East Enders Xmas special will include one of the cast being raped by her husband and then she kills him....

I wonder how all the women who have suffered this sort of abuse will feel about this if there is not adequate warnings before they show this?
Old 19 November 2001, 12:53 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Cool

Good point. But you can be rest assured that the BBC will leak enough details to ensure a bumper audience and 'hopefully' most will find out via The Sun!
Obviously we dont want these issues swept under the carpet and pretend they dont exist, but all the soaps have so may veiwer figure grabbing story lines these days, its getting ridiculous. Surely they cant claim its all for public awareness reasons all the time????

I sure as hell I wouldn't live in Hollyoaks or Albert square etc, as they seem to have the highest rates of rape, murder, fatal car accidents etc in the country!!!!
Old 19 November 2001, 01:00 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agreed, these sort of issues should be addressed.
Lets hope they do it in a constructive manner.

Personally, I think its in bad taste, but thats just my personal opinion. As they already covered similar in previous episodes, but haven't listed the various help agencies after the episodes that covered them, which I find a little thoughtless on their part.
Old 19 November 2001, 01:09 PM
Christian_Driver
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nice Christmas viewing then...

That should get everyone in the festive spirit
Old 19 November 2001, 01:11 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Christian - well imagine how someone who has actually been through similar trauma is going to feel when this is on! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 19 November 2001, 01:11 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

I have it on erm (cough) good authority that it's Little Mo...

Simon.
Old 19 November 2001, 01:13 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Simon - I just didn't want to admit to knowing the characters.
Old 19 November 2001, 01:18 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out it's Little Mo... or so the wife tells me,,,
Old 19 November 2001, 01:28 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ahhhh Simon/Ga22er - spoilsports (okay, so I already knew this)

I know SOMETHING has to happen in the Xmas edition of EE, but why it is always doom and gloom, why not something happy, and why are they going to go with something this heavy (I'd have murdered Trev months ago without provocation, especially this sort)

[Edited by KimA - 11/19/2001 1:28:46 PM]
Old 19 November 2001, 01:37 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

My main gripe, bar the fact they are mainly doing it for rating...

is they are NOT putting any details on who to contact if you've been a victim of such crime, or infact warnings of the content.

It just seems to be done for ratings and sod anyones feelings... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 19 November 2001, 01:45 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

you're joking, surely they MUST put up helpline info. etc. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 19 November 2001, 01:47 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Hey if you feel strongly about it, why not send an email around (starting with the relevant support groups) asking people to boycott it for the day for given reasons ?

Apparently nearly everyone in the country watches it according to ratings so any murmur of a boycott for valid reasons would put the wind up the makers and you never know,thy may review their plans.

Certainly worked for the petrol protesters.

Just a thought.

...........Cue the scoobymilitants

p.s I dont watch it, or corrie, or brooky, or holly etc etc
Old 19 November 2001, 01:58 PM
Christian_Driver
Scooby Regular

Angry

Christian - well imagine how someone who has actually been through similar trauma is going to feel when this is on!
I quite agree with you. I am sure someone who has been a victim of similar experiences wouldn't be too pleased to have events graphically recreated for them on prime-time TV.

There is clearly a wider benefit in raising awareness that such crimes occur, but I question whether Eastenders on Christmas Day is the best vehicle for it - especially since they are apparently not even going to show any helpline numbers after the show.

Call me a cynic, but I don't think the writers of Eastenders give a monkeys whether they are helping/hindering/causing grief to people who have had the misfortune to have had similar experiences.

[Edited by Christian_Driver - 11/19/2001 2:02:22 PM]
Old 19 November 2001, 02:01 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Dont you think you are taking this a little seriously?

This is gripping drama, and people will be glued to the tv. It has to be contraversial else it doesnt get the audience hooked, and lets face it, they will want the ratings.

I agree it is not going to be nice for people who have suffered this, but with that attitude you would never be able to show anything on tv.

Boycotting eastenders, to me, that is real melodrama.

I do agree there should eb a help line number, but they normally only do this after kids programmes like hollyoaks.

ps. did you all Know that big Mo is Gary Oldmans sister?
Old 19 November 2001, 02:08 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

1.Open window
2.Pick up telly
3.Eject telly through aforementioned
Old 19 November 2001, 02:27 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I didn't mean to come across quite so agressively about this.

Adam M - I would just like to see the TV peeps at least put some more info up at the end, thats all.

If you've ever had friends who have been through similar to this you would understand why. (this is a general comment, not aimed at Adam)

Jerry B - very funny mate, knew I could count on you to be the voice of reason.
Old 19 November 2001, 02:58 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

You know it makes sense, it's all 5hite anyway!

My thoughts on it? mixture of the above, good to give these things coverage as it was relatively unheard of and taboo not that long ago (though no less prevalent), at least by creating stories people are possibly more aware, maybe some more likely to identify with and possibly start to deal with similar issues rather than feeling they can't, but like you I feel it's not necessarily a good thing to use it to increase ratings, and maybe it just churns up a lot of stuff for others.

But one always has the option of changing channel or switching off. I would strongly recommend this for any listeners to KISS FM in particular before it's too late and you start two-steppin' sarf london stylee, pumpin up the bass and cranking that speed garage crap at 120db's with your windows down and inflicting it on the rest of us....rant, rant...

Old 20 November 2001, 07:45 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm sorry to say it guys but I suspect that if it was just a happy huggy Christmas Special instead then we'd be the first to throw up and call it unrealistic etc. The truth is that no-one wants to see Janine and Peggy getting on well together or the dross that is now the Mark/Lisa storyline. It's just, well,... boring.
Old 20 November 2001, 07:49 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Jerry B

I wish I could but it weighs 108 Kgs inc stand!!

Lots of over reaction here, lets face it Eastenders is the most watched programme on telly, its got to be compelling to keep the ratings, this can only be done with good "stories" and good actors and believe it or not amongst the cheese there is a lot of good acting on EE, who can forget the chubby girl giving birth, fantastic acting, and how many young gilrs can relate to that, lots im sure. and lets not forget fat uncle Harry, now that was a sick storyline and I dont recall anyone wetting their pants on scoobynet about it, but again everyone was saying superb acting. BBC didnt recieve any complaints just praise, these people do research what they do, they discussed the Kat and Zoe storyline with social workers and on the basis of their input the story line was altered.

More power to Eastenders

Cant wait to see that sweaty get his on Xmas day
Old 20 November 2001, 01:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

sounds like little mo is finally going to off that bast trevor then! oops! leaking plot info, I should be shot for that
Old 20 November 2001, 02:00 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

Doesn't Well'ard get pregnant??

Wonder who the father is...
Old 21 November 2001, 08:03 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

thanx a bunch people .... we're 12 weeks behind over here and you're giving away all the plot lines ....
Old 21 November 2001, 08:51 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I feel there is quite a difference between giving birth from consented sex and rape.

Yes, I admit (as in a previous post) I over reacted a little.
But I know for a fact a person (i know) that has suffered this, would want some sort of warning before it came on, and because of this (fortunate) leak will not be watching east enders during December.. which isn't a bad thing.

Nuff said I s'pose.