Prison Tour 2006

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2006, 08:43 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prison Tour 2006

Morning peeps,

As part of a contract our company have won, i'm currently visiting 19 prisons in the UK to put our broadband service into their education departments, tell you what, seriously puts a perspective on things when you're going through these places, absolutely horrible inside most of them, rubbish everywhere (especially remand prisons) and shouting all the time, i'd go mad if I was inside one of these places, so damned depressing
Very interesting to see how they work though.

Got a couple of women's prisons next week.....hmmmm

Not looking forwards to doing Whitemoor (High Security)

Anyone else been inside some of these places?
Old 07 October 2006, 10:02 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
Morning peeps,

As part of a contract our company have won, i'm currently visiting 19 prisons in the UK to put our broadband service into their education departments, tell you what, seriously puts a perspective on things when you're going through these places, absolutely horrible inside most of them, rubbish everywhere (especially remand prisons) and shouting all the time, i'd go mad if I was inside one of these places, so damned depressing
Very interesting to see how they work though.

Got a couple of women's prisons next week.....hmmmm

Not looking forwards to doing Whitemoor (High Security)

Anyone else been inside some of these places?
Only the one, for a footy match. We won 4-3, it was cup tie, semi-final if I remember correct. I scored all 4. I was lucky to get out alive!
Old 07 October 2006, 10:26 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

We get to go to Perth prison when they are having riots and they think it is a good idea to set fire to stuff.
It's always good to see the face of sprogs on the shift when they are being shown the procedures and being told to make sure they walk under the walkways as if you walk out in the middle you are a target for them emptying their slopping out bucket. It's also reasuring to know that they'd rather take a firefighter hostage than a prison warden as there is less chance of repercussions....nice.
It is an eye-opener as you say but still not as bad as it should be imo.
Old 07 October 2006, 10:32 AM
Old Farquar
Scooby Regular

I played rugby in Long Lartin max security prison at Evesham a few times, it was an odd experience, and I remember one game was abandoned because the ball was kicked out over the wall! Don't drink the tea if you're offered any.......
Old 07 October 2006, 04:28 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I was going to post a thread the other day about Prison.

I wanted to know if it is actually like the films make it out. I know a lot of it is Hollywood drama, but there must be an element of truth in it.

Darren
Old 07 October 2006, 04:50 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Three of my friends have done time, one 9months for drugs of which about 8 months were in a holiday camp open prison with a PS2 and a key to his room! The second did most of his year in an open prison as well for violent conduct. First and last offence for both. The second mate described it as a university of crime, although the lecturers obviously aren't successful! He also got VERY good at pool and table tennis!!!

The other did six months in a maximum security, even though he wasn't classed as max security, it was nearest his parents home. Real atmosphere at that place.

Neither enjoyed the experience, but neither said it was particularly horrifying. I visited all three on several occaisons and all were in good spirits and doing well in general population. Although these are short spells. Sure 40 years would be a different matter!

Think the point of prison is missed in general, think punishment is needed, but not at the expense of rehabilitation, which would make society a better place for all of us.
Old 07 October 2006, 05:43 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Spent a week working in Cardiff prison a few years ago and it's not a nice experience. I was surprised at the ratio of black prisoners to white as well as it seemed to be about 60/40. Met a few long termers whilst I was in there which was strange as if you did'nt know what they were in there for they would have seemed nice guys which they obviously were not.

Chip

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2006, 08:14 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Prison one of the only places you are guaranteed sex on your first night!!.
Old 07 October 2006, 10:46 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Done quite a bit of work in Rampton, and Ashworth

Not striclty prisons, but high security mental institutions, think Ian Brady etc

I know nothing like the same thing but visited Alcatraz a few years back, and I wouldnt have liked to have spent a day there in full population

A friend served some time in an open prison, spent all his time in the gym and playing chess