Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which Sat-Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2006, 06:43 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Sat-Nav?

Probably been asked before but i'm looking for a dedicated sat nav as i've sold my PDA with TomTom today.
I don't need anything flashy as it'll not get used too much so i've more or less decided on the TomTom 300 - BUT - looking on fleebay i can get a Road Angel navigator 3000 which also has the speed camera function (i know i can add it to tomtom) which means i can also sell my Talex so just have the 1 unit.

Does anyone else have the RA3000? any honest reviews? anyone selling either of these units?

Cheers
Old 26 September 2006, 08:35 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the garmin nuvi 350 - I chose it instead of the Tom Tom, much better.
Old 26 September 2006, 09:09 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

I have a RA Navigator 6000 and a Tom Tom 300 ........ for sat nav get the Tom Tom - for speed cams get the Tom Tom and add the gps world camera database.

The RA is good for cameras but not as good as a Tom Tom with the independent database added (as opposed to the Tom Tom one you can buy which I didn't find as good!)

The RA for Sat Nav is much poorer than the Tom Tom and if we are going out and need sat nav the RA is not the one I would be taking !! For speed cameras though the RA is, as I say, quite OK.

The RA has a much slower processor than the Tom Tom which is lightning fast in comparison.

The RA is, though, much smaller and lighter than the Tom Tom.

Just my views FWIW.
Old 26 September 2006, 09:12 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Nuvi is really small, designed to be portable, has an excellent pedestrian mode I have used in central london, prague and berlin so far - it's brilliant
Old 27 September 2006, 06:35 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Hmm - 99% decided on the RA6000 due to size/ features but not sure now - could be the Tomtom after all

thanks for the feedback
Old 27 September 2006, 07:27 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I've mentioned this before but...

Garmin have recently discontinued one of their handheld units. It has all the features of the in-car units except for the spoken instructions and you can buy the street maps so it can do the door to door stuff as well as OS maps to do nav if you walk, cycle, sail etc.

You can pick one up (GPSmap60CS) for around £200 which is a saving of about £300 but you have to buy the map software on top of that, the OS maps for GB are about £140ish.

Worthwhile if you would use it as a handheld as well or if the flexibility appeals to you.

The drawback is that it has 56meg of non-expandable memory and so will not hold all the OS maps for the UK.
Old 27 September 2006, 10:27 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Have tried Nav Man, which was a pain to use and couldn't even get me home from Halfords Tried a few others in various shops who all said TomTom best but pricey. Anyway, swapped to TomTom which has worked a treat in UK, France, Switzerland and Italy so far this year. Clever user-interface and really easy to use. Actually thinking of buying another as it gets used so much by all the family.

Currently abroad in a hire car with some nameless ****e sat-nav fitted. Even the missus with a map is more use

Richard.
Old 27 September 2006, 10:31 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
Probably been asked before but i'm looking for a dedicated sat nav as i've sold my PDA with TomTom today.
I don't need anything flashy as it'll not get used too much so i've more or less decided on the TomTom 300 - BUT - looking on fleebay i can get a Road Angel navigator 3000 which also has the speed camera function (i know i can add it to tomtom) which means i can also sell my Talex so just have the 1 unit.

Does anyone else have the RA3000? any honest reviews? anyone selling either of these units?

Cheers
https://www.scoobynet.com/cant-wait-...08#post6203608

post 24

its tough and durable, even i cant break it, and it works
Old 27 September 2006, 11:23 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Garmin i3

I use mine daily, never let me down yet
Old 28 September 2006, 07:08 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Tom Tom is good but be warned that their website is dire, its the most difficult site to navigate through I've ever seen. And they are not very helpful either...... so if you need anything, updates etc etc it becomes difficult
Old 28 September 2006, 12:22 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Mio 510E, just finished 3000 miles around Europe and it never let me down once. Seems to be getting the best reviews now as well.