Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

no win / no fee type legal companies help

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 09:21 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no win / no fee type legal companies help

Ok complicated situation requiring urgent action so will try to keep this short!

Nearly 3 years ago I was involved in a fairly nasty car crash. Police 'lost' other drivers details. Claim went to MIB, MIB accepted liability, only course of action was for me to be passed as fully recovered by medical 'expert' and compo & costs agreed.

This summer I finally made an formal complaint to my insurer at the time after several letters to legal company being ignored. Complaint centred on fact that one year ago the latest doctor I saw said that I urgently required further physio in order to try to prevent permanent damage but the legal company (paid for via car insurance) who are supposed to arrange it and get the other party's insurers (in this case MIB) to agree payment have still not done so.

Last week I got a letter from the legal company saying that they are withdrawing from the case.

I have spoken to someone at the insurance company, who is sympathetic but no sign of actually doing anything.

On 26th October the 3 year period (whatever its called) will have elapsed so in order for the claim to continue I/legal people need to serve some kind of papers at the county court to get a continuance.

Whilst on one hand I should get all my legal fees back eventually so I could appoint my own solicitor, I wouldnt have a clue where to start with finding a suitable one and as this has already dragged on for 3 years I cant afford to be paying out even if I could get it all back.

So, as the insurance company are not forthcoming and the deadline is looming I have been advised to go for one of those no win no fee type cowboys to keep the case going.

Can anyone offer some decent advice on this, I dont know which way to turn
Old 22 September 2006, 09:28 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

HI m8 my wife is a solicitor and deals with RTA personal injury, pass me your e-mail and I will pick her brains for you
Old 22 September 2006, 09:36 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

you have mail
Old 22 September 2006, 10:57 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Do you know what MIB scheme it was? Untraced driver or uninsured? From what you are saying it is untraced drivers agreement?

What reason did the solicitors give for withdrawing?

You may prefer to pm me if Varboy's wife can't help...
Old 23 September 2006, 12:15 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Re MIB I didnt know there was a difference, I would assume untraced as no one has ever been able to trace the vehicle...

In the letter they stated that "due to the manner of recent correspondence between yourself and this form we are unable to assist you further".

Whilst they have severely pissed me off, I am extremely professional in these matters and I know that ranting doesnt get anyone anywhere. All I have ever done is list facts and ask questions. In the last letter I sent I requested that they arrange the medical appointment within 10 working days - which bearing in mind they have had over a year to do, seems like a reasonably worded kick up the **** to me!

I've had at least three people that I know of from this company handling this case and its been chaotic to be polite. Another example is that they recently wrote to me to tell me that unfortunately they have been unable to trace the owner of the other vehicle because the police had lost the file so they would be pursuing the matter via MIB. This is dispite already telling me this nearly two years ago and having long established that MIB were footing the bill. I mean WTF???

Another great one was when I went for an examination and it all went horribly wrong for reasons I wont go into on here. I phoned the legal company the next day to raise my concerns. The woman told me to write to her detailing exactly what happened. Several weeks later I got a letter back from them saying it was nothing to do with them and that I should have taken the matter up at the time with the doctor. Again WTF???

Oh and they want a fee off me to release the files, even though the insurance company have told me that they are paid in installments which covers work upto November this year!
Old 23 September 2006, 12:18 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Men In Black ?????

I thought they chased the Aliens ??
Old 23 September 2006, 12:32 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Men In Black ?????

I thought they chased the Aliens ??
I can't even manage a weak smile or an angry face
Old 23 September 2006, 10:04 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
Oh and they want a fee off me to release the files, even though the insurance company have told me that they are paid in installments which covers work upto November this year!
What insurance company is that? I've never been paid in instalments
Who put you in touch with the solicitors your own insurance company via legal expenses insurance or you found them yourself?

If you are unhappy with their service you should start a complaint down their internal complaints procedure and if that doesnt resolve it then and only then go to the law society consumer complaints section. Sounds like your complaints would be of Delay, failure to follow instructions and (possibly) inadequate costs advice.

This is all too much to go into on a public forum, see if you get any help from Varboy's wife and then pm me.
Old 23 September 2006, 07:45 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
What insurance company is that? I've never been paid in instalments
Who put you in touch with the solicitors your own insurance company via legal expenses insurance or you found them yourself?

If you are unhappy with their service you should start a complaint down their internal complaints procedure and if that doesnt resolve it then and only then go to the law society consumer complaints section. Sounds like your complaints would be of Delay, failure to follow instructions and (possibly) inadequate costs advice.

This is all too much to go into on a public forum, see if you get any help from Varboy's wife and then pm me.
Its the legal company being paid my the insurers I have no idea why they are paid this way.

I got them via legal expenses insurance and I've already been down the complaints channels hence my letter to the insurers, hence their snotty letter to me!

I dont care about taking the complaint any further I just want the case settled and I hoped that making a polite and well reasoned complaint would do this. The fact they they have totally over reacted and withdrew their so called 'services' right before the three year deadline sums them up rather well.